Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked this in a different thread and nobody attempted to answer it so I'll try it here. What is it better to give your opponent 3 1-gems instead of a single 3-gem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since playing a "Crash" gem will only let you crash a single chip. So if your gempile has 2 "3-gem"s in it and they have 6 "1-gem"s, then when you play a Crash you can get rid of 3. When they crash, they can only get rid of 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Large Deviator
Samoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CityzenFry has answered you in the other thread:
CitizenFry wrote:
rickert wrote:
I'm not yet certain why it is worse to have 3 1-gems rather than 1 3-gem.

Because it takes up two extra draws. 3 1-gems takes up 60% of a 5 card hand, while 1 3-gem is only 20% of a 5-card hand, meaning you have more other stuff to work with.

This explains why is better to have one 3-gem in your deck rather than 3 1-gems.

ONOH, it would be totally equivalent for you to send three 1-gems to your oponent gempile than one three gem. The problem is that in order to send 3 1-gems via crashing (i.e. using purple chips) you need to use 3 normal crashes (!) or one normal crash and one double crash (!!) which is extremelly difficult to sort up. On the contrary, sending a 3 gem via crashing requires only a normal crash.

Finally, note that 4-gems are uncountercrashable, so crashing a 4 gem is not only easier than crash 4 1-gems in your turn, it is also extremelly more punnishing for your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I asked this in a different thread and nobody attempted to answer it so I'll try it here. What is it better to give your opponent 3 1-gems instead of a single 3-gem?

You are refering to gems in your hand yes?

Lets imagine a deck composed of 10 chips.

3x Character card

6x 1 gem

1 x crash gem

This is the normal starting deck that everyone gets. But what if we change it thusly?

3x character card

2x 3 gem

1x crash gem

4x wound

In this deck we still have 6 money and 10 chips, but you have the ability to get 6 money in your turn (as opposed to a max of 5 with any other combo). Having bigger gems in your deck (2s, 3s, and 4s) gives you the ability to get a lot more bang for your buck when you draw.

What would you rather have in your deck, 20x 1 gems or 5x 4 gems?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
rickert wrote:

You are refering to gems in your hand yes?

Lets imagine a deck composed of 10 chips.

3x Character card

6x 1 gem

1 x crash gem

This is the normal starting deck that everyone gets. But what if we change it thusly?

3x character card

2x 3 gem

1x crash gem

4x wound

In this deck we still have 6 money and 10 chips, but you have the ability to get 6 money in your turn (as opposed to a max of 5 with any other combo). Having bigger gems in your deck (2s, 3s, and 4s) gives you the ability to get a lot more bang for your buck when you draw.

What would you rather have in your deck, 20x 1 gems or 5x 4 gems?

Actually I was referring to the gem pile and not the hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:

Actually I was referring to the gem pile and not the hand.

In that case, it is self-evident that sending 3x 1-gems to your opponent's pile is better for you than sending a single 3-gem.

How many actions does it take your opponent to get rid of these piles?

111 -> takes 3 actions (either 3 Crash, 2 Combines + 1 Crash, or 1 Combine + 2 Crash)

3 -> takes 1 action (a single Crash).

In fact, if you're using 2 Combines and 1 Crash, the 3-gem pile is a state in which your opponent's pile will be in as part of the intermediary steps

(111 Combine -> 21 Combine -> 3 Crash -> Empty)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.