Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Need Help finding Game for G/F rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anson Li
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I've perused the G/F Geeklists, but I don't think it works all the time. Sure, there are common games that all G/Fs hate, but I tend to favour the "personality" theory more where a set of games a person likes with A personality will be shared by another person with a similar personality.

Anyways, my point. I need help finding 1-3 games for my G/F! Let me tell you what games work and don't work.

thumbsup
Lord of the Rings - She likes the Cooperative Aspect (No Direct Conflict is Good!) Good theme.

Modern Art - One of her favourites. She loves the artwork and the theme is strong.

Bohnanza - She loves this because of the artwork.

Ticket to Ride - She likes the artwork and the fact that it's more interesting than Transamerica which she dislikes. There are more interesting choices in Ticket to Ride and she likes that. redtrain

Vampire - Some interesting choices in the game but the few analytical Knizias she likes.

Traumfabrik - She likes this Knizia because it is short.

Werewolf - She loves it due to the social interaction.

thumbsdown
Through the Desert - She thinks laying down Camels is boring and too abstract. She likes the pastel camels though! mintcamel

BattleCry - No way will she play a war game.

Transamerica - See note on Ticket to Ride.

High Society - Too analytical and she says that it's just playing cards and wagering and seems boring to her.

Manhattan - Again, she finds this game boring.

Apples to Apples - Again, simple card playing bores her to wits.

Lost Cities - This is again a no go. Too dry and analytical for her.
==========

So now that you sorta get an idea about my g/f, what 3 games do you think I should consider? I think I'm going to shy away from Knizia. cool

I was thinking of Ursurppe/Primordial Soup, Odins Ravens, ?

HELP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Southy
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Metro
I recently got my wife to play Metro and she really enjoyed it. I think it reminded her of Carcassonne (another of her favourites).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife always liked word games, which I enjoy at times. But Carcassonne turned her on to Euro games, so it's my recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TransAmerica has more interesting decision points than Ticket to Ride, by a long shot.

Now that that's out of the way, I'd recommend:

Pitchcar: Fast and fun.

Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers (more accessible than Carcassone)

Traders of Genoa: Lots of opportunity for social interaction, though this one may be a bit heavy for her. Still, based on your list of games, I think she would like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Li
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
Thanks for your help. Since I have Carcasonne H&G, I will try that game on her and see if she likes that. We will see!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pinnion
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about the pitch-car recommendation; but certainly works as a replacement for "apples to apples".I dont get much from it when there's less than 5 players though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd try coloretto and the mystery of the abbey; in second place alhambra and, maybe, Puerto Rico if she is not scared when facing all the various buildings.

coloretto is funny, and has lots of social interaction, while there is not a real direct confrontation.

The mystery of the abbey has lots of social interaction too and not direct real confrontation.

Nothing to say in particular for alhambra;
Puerto Rico is a different world; in my gaming group the are 5 girls, and most of them dislikes abstract and games where you has to think to "damage" the others, but they all like puerto rico, for the same reasons they like coloretto.
I have heard that Goa is similar to PR, but i never player it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubiratã Oliveira
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try Industrial Waste, Alhambra, Carcassone, Saint Petersburg, Clans or more deeper Carolus Magnus....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't recommend Coloretto if "simple card playing bores her."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson Tan
Singapore
Singapore
SG
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
recently i have been playing balloon cup, it has been said to be one of the best 2-player game. enough strategy and not too short a filler, very interesting mechanism. worth a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Li
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Plan
Okay, the plan then is to give Carcasonne H&G a try.
Next,I'll try to procure Balloon Cup/Coloretto and give that a spin! As these are cheap investments...

Finger's Crossed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.