Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The encounter cards feel to random to me but I understand why they put them in the game. Perhaps if they tied the encounter cards more into the existing monsters it would feel less random and give the monsters more personality.

Possible encounters card:
(complete the first true statement)

"Growing Shadows" robot
-If a Wraith is adjacent to hero, it steels one life from the hero
-If there are two wraiths on the same tile as a hero, the Wraiths drag the hero to the closest tile that has no Hero and drains 2 HP from the Hero.
-If there is less then 3 wraiths in play, add an additional wraith at location of your choice.

"There are too many of them"zombie
-If there is 1 or 2 zombies in play, place an additional zombie adjacent to an existing zombie.
-If there are 3 zombies in play, move them all one tile closer to the weakest Hero. If there is then a zombie on the same tile as the weakest Hero, The Hero looses 1 hp.
-If there are no zombies in play, add 2 zombies to a tile of your choice.

"Burning Bones"devil
-If there are any Skeletons on a tile with a water source (fountain, pool, river) and a Hero. They become regular Skeletons.
-If there are less then 3 Flaming Skeletons and one of them is on a tile with a coffin, add an additional Flaming Skeleton to the coffin tile.
-If there are no Flaming Skeletons in play and there is a hero on a tile with a coffin, add a Flaming Skeleton to the coffin tile.

"The Meek are amassing!"goo
-If there is 1 or 2 Kobold in play, place a kobold horde marker on the starting tile. Now whenever a Kobold is activated it will attack (if possible) and then move two spaces towards the Horde marker. If a Kobolt reaches the marker, increase the number of Kobolds to 3. Place the new Kobolds adjacent to the Hord Marker. Then remove the Kobold Horde marker.
-If there are no Kobolds in play, add two Kobolds to a tile of your choosing.
-If there are three Kobolds in play, add a fourth Kobold adjacent to an existing Kobold.

*I know there are only 3 Kobolts but if there could be 4 of any type of monster, it should be the Kobolts

These are rough ideas but I think these types of encounter cards would make the encounters feel less random. It would also give the players more of a sense of control over the game. Completely random and isolated events just don't feel right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas. I like them all. I think they are worthy enough for play testing.

I think "The Meek are amassing!" is a little bit too long though. I think using the 3 max tactics rule of thumb should also apply to these encounters when creating them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind the limitation of monster types per player. For example, if there's only 3 players, how do you add another Wraith?

I prefer the simpler ideas that were on the other thread, i.e. just one action on the event but definitely tied to a monster and altering how the monster behaves.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Holz
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmb
Placing multiple monsters of the same type will murder solo players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Good ideas. If you have ever played Castle Panic (great game, but very simple and a bit easy), there are certain events that trigger and say things like "move all blue monsters clockwise" and things like that. Your idea of linking events to monsters reminds me a bit of that and would be a great addition to the encounter deck (although I wouldn’t want ALL encounters to link to monsters, and some balancing mechanics for solo heroes might be needed).

Somebody else mentioned each monster having an "encounter action" specific to its type (eg. kobolds summon a reinforcement kobold, wraiths wail and cause heroes to be -1 to hit next turn, etc.) so then maybe you could simply have cards that say:

Activate the "encounter action" for every monster on the same tile as the active hero.
Activate the "encounter action" for every monster on a tile with no heroes.

This way, it doesn’t matter if certain types of monster are not in play when the encounter is drawn.

Good stuff. Thanks for posting your ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few of ways to accommodate different numbers of players in the encounter cards. However, I suppose in keeping with CR spirit of quick and easy, my encounter cards should look something like this:
(complete the first statement that is true)

“The sound of grinding stone”
-If there are any Gargoyles that are 'frozen', move a frozen Gargoyle 2 tiles towards the closest hero.
-If there are any Gargoyles in play, activate one.
-If there are no Gargoyles in play, place a gargoyle on the most recently added tile. The new Gargoyle does not activate this turn.

“Burning Bones”
-If there are any Flaming Skeletons on a tile with a water source (fountain, pool, river) and a Hero. They become regular Skeletons.
-If there are any Flaming Skeletons in play, activate one.
-If there are no Flaming Skeletons in play and there is a hero on a tile with a coffin, add one Flaming Skeleton to a coffin tile.

“There are too many of them”
-If there are any zombies in play, move them all one tile closer to the hero with the fewest HP.
-If there are no zombies in play, add a zombies 2 tiles away from the hero with the fewest HP.

“Growing Shadows”
-If there are no Wraiths, add a wraith to the tile of your choice.
-If there is a wounded Wraith adjacent to a hero, it drains 1 HP from the hero and is healed to its max HP.
-If there is a Wraith adjacent to a hero, it drains 1 HP from the hero.

*When an encounter card has you add a new monster, you would pull a monster card out of the monster deck.

EDIT - I made a couple changes based on Snarr's comments

Oops I just noticed there is a similar thread on the next page. Is there any way to combine threads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may need to define "weakest Hero". Is this the hero with the fewest HP, the smallest AC, the mosted used Daily\Utility powers? etc.

I like the first option in Burning Bones, since A) there's a small chance that the encounter can actually help the heroes and B) it actually gives some importance to the board! (another one of my gripes in the game, the tiles mean very little)

I think a Life Drain that actually heals a Wraith would be good. Maybe something like, "Any attacks made this turn by a Wraith heals the Wraith 1HP".

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked your idea about the wraiths healing after any successful attacks this turn. However, I don't want to add any cards that you have to keep track of.

So, I added an instant life drain effect that you don't have to track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.