Popular Tags: fishing [+] Fishfry [+] [View All]
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First I would like to thank my mom and dad, and God...and....

Ahhh it does feel good to earn the elusive game designer badge.

My simple fishing dice game Fishfry has been a big hit among the friends of mine who used to like to gamble away their money away playing Ship-Captain-Crew. I invented this game just for them, and it proved to be much more fun, and have a little more strategy than most gambling dice games.

Now I just need to make up some more advanced rules for tournament-style games. If anyone would like, I am open for suggestions. I know the game is mostly just a luck-based game right now, and even I am not a big fan of luck based games. So now I will write up some alternate rules for the game, and move on to some new ideas.

Hopefully my next game will be accepted too!

Thank you BGG and all of you folks out there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the dice art. Have you got a bunch of sets made up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Ive made 40 sets so far. Manufactured by Chessex custom laser engraving. Chessex did a great job I might add. They were a bit expensive to produce at this point (Just like prototyping any new game) but If I can find a buyer/distributor who would like to invest in it, the price will come down quite a bit!

As of right now I'm selling my copies for 20$, though someday, with a little luck, they could be around $10 a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
For a more advanced game, you could roll a bunch of dice (5 per player) into a central pool, then have each player take 1 die from the pool and reroll 1 die in the pool on his or her turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
For a more advanced game, you could roll a bunch of dice (5 per player) into a central pool, then have each player take 1 die from the pool and reroll 1 die in the pool on his or her turn.

It would be nice to be able to sell a game with, say, 25 dice in it, but for now production costs would stop that dead in its tracks....Thanks for the idea!....With each player owning a set of dice there could be all sorts of variations!

What I'm thinking right now is to include 3 chips in the game, A 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophy. (Ideally three little plastic trophies would be cool) As players catch fish, they claim trophies from each other, and after a certain number of turns the winners claim their status....and if they were gambling, claim a proportionate portion of the prize money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie DeGrace
msg tools
Neat solution. Fish and... chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
Vis Comica
badge
Watch a man at play for an hour and you can learn more about him than in talking to him for a year. - Plato
mbmbmbmbmb
I added the game to my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Now when I get the added rules ironed out I just have to figure out how to offer it on the BGG Marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules and it seems like quite a fun, quick filler. The dice are really nice looking! Wonder if you could cut costs by offering them up in a package like LCR is bundled in?

The game is really short. Maybe you intended it to be. I wonder if it would make it more exciting (and longer) if once somebody beats your score, everybody else gets another chance. If it goes all the way around the table and nobody has beaten their score, then they win. So the scores keep getting higher and higher until eventually one person isn't able to be beaten and they win.

Perhaps some bonus for successfully using all 5 dice without panfish? Dunno if that would help though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
nice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, the game is really short, since it was made to be a quick gambling game. I'm trying to make it have a second set of rules to play it as a little fishing derby where each player has maybe 5 chances, and keeps their biggest 3 fish. (The 5-dice panfish, or"fishfry", would make everybody fry-up one of the fish they caught except you) then players would claim 1st 2nd and 3rd place prize for sizes of fish caught.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm here for the ambiance.
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool- I like those dice !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M *
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Congratulations. It's always great to hear of someone breaking into the industry.

OverBoard: The Board Game Webcomic
http://www.overboard-comic.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United Kingdom
Bradford on Avon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Scott I'm very impressed by those dice, both design and production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
I don't think he would like that.
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! And of course the line art is wonderful.

Sorry I missed you during my trip to Chicago--it was hectic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks you all!

Yea...I hear ya Joe...that week was busy for me too anyway.

The Game will be up on the BGG Marketplace most likely by Monday, If anyone would like to buy a copy. Some new rules will be included for tournaments too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put up a copy for sale on the BGG Marketplace.

I also added and edited the rules for tournament play.

It wont let me enter multiple copies of the game, so if it sells, I will have to put up another copy...I will keep an eye on the marketplace, and try to replace the sold copies as soon as I sell them. There are 3-4 people looking for a copy so be patient if you dont get to it first...I will post it again.

thanks again,
-Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to be marketing this game in Wisconsin. They love their fish fries up there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Havighorst
Germany
Haltern am See
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations. Looks good. I would certainly give it a go should it pop up at any of my local game groups. HX
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.