Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big A&A fan and am getting this game this weekend. I would like to have a big A&A party for the full game with 6 players. However, to get to 6 players I would have to have some (4 players) who have never played A&A or wargames before but have played various other games like D&Dand of course Risk.

With the 2004 A&A I found that new players could figure out what was going on quickly enough to actually play independently by the end of the game with the help of their team mates. There was no need to have played before.

However, since then it seems like they've really amped the complexity quite a bit. New units, more combinations, not all nations start at war, national objectives, etc. I am having a little trouble following it all (have seen the actual rules yet), is it possible that the game has grown beyond the point of a new player being able to grasp and play without arduous study and watching a few games?

I worry that might buy this and end up deciding to run the party with the 2004 edition for the sake of the newbs. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
You are probably better going with one of the base versions, yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has a few things that may be a little hard for the new people to grasp, furthermore with 6 players you may find that whoever is tasked to play France gets a little bored.

I'd say that it is possible if they are pretty bright, but you may be better off going with one of the base versions as was advised above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
The other versions don't accomodate 6 palyers very well or at all. The only one that does so is Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition, but the role as Italy in the game may be unsatisfying, and it will be hard (expensive) to get a copy of the game.

If they are used to D&D the complexity shouldn't scare them away. If they are used to Risk the concept of area control etc. will be easy to grasp. The game will probably progress very slowly to begin with due to LOTS of interruptions from rules questions. I predict the game is either going to take extremely long time (15+ hours) or be over all too quickly because someone is severely damaged by a sucker punch of some sort. The question is if your buddies are prepared for those risks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunter D'HOOGH
Belgium
WESPELAAR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I shouldn't compare A&A to D&D either!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yvesvanherp wrote:

All I meant was, that D&D is at least as complex as A&A. It's not like D&D experience itself is going to make the A&A rules easier to grasp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunter D'HOOGH
Belgium
WESPELAAR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ozimek wrote:
yvesvanherp wrote:

All I meant was, that D&D is at least as complex as A&A. It's not like D&D experience itself is going to make the A&A rules easier to grasp.

Okay, Jan! I know what you meant to state now! That was my opinion too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't have thought that the complexity of the rules will pose too much of a problem. I'd say your biggest hurdle will just be the scope of the game - it's so huge that the sheer amount of stuff on the board can be a little over-whelming. Should be alright after a turn or two though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Davis
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, this is NOT a game to play with beginners (this goes for AA40 Pacific as well).

At GenCon, I was involved with 'teaching' people to play A&A who had never played before - we used the AA42 game and for good reason. Even then, there were some rules I simply did not cover (everything about subs, for example) because they can be a bit difficult to understand, and I was trying to get the groups to just 'play' the game.

AA40 (either version or global) would be pretty difficult to explain to someone new - the basics are fine - on your turn, buy your stuff, declare your attacks and roll em out. At the end, move stuff and collect money. It's all the details that will cause some people's eyes to glaze over.

I would humbly suggest that you go with AA42 as your starting point. It is kinda like A&A 101. If that goes well, and everyone is willing to step up to A&A 201, then you can introduce the anniversary game. The nice thing about it is that the rules are basically the same, but you get more of everything, including Italy and China. Once you have that down, then move onto one of the 1940 games. They are not for the faint of heart (I mean, no they are not squad leader or anything), but there is a lot of details in the rules and a lot to keep straight in your head.

My fear would be that if you start with a 1940 game, you may scare them off... :)

Just my opinion based on my personal A&A experiences and what I saw with newbies at GenCon....

MM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MatildaMike wrote:
I would humbly suggest that you go with AA42 as your starting point.

Thanks. I don't own '42 but I do own "Revised" (or at least that is what people seem to call the 2004 edition).

shake I'llhave the new one... all still sealed and be playing the old one. Maybe if I can get them hooked...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike is probably right. Only problem is your player count of 6. Get two copies and run two independent games?

If your mission is to get them introduced to A&A in order to be able to push 1940 games on them later, I think you will be fine with your Revised game. 1942 is extremely cheap though, so getting a copy of it should be doable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.