Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Section 13.2 of the rules provides for a game end due to the North's Government Falls" card, which sets a date for a game end. What if one of these does not come up (due to reshuffles - I know they have to be played if drawn) prior to 1783? Assuming the military victory conditions of 13.1 are not met, does the game end in 1783? I am not sure what else to do, but this circumstance is not addressed in Section 13.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it ends in 1783. It's an oversight in the rules - but A) I think common sense dictates that since the turn track and the timeframe of the War Ends cards extends no further, you should end then, and B) I have played a couple dozen times and never played a game with zero War Ends cards. It can happen, but it's not going to happen often.

FYI, Mark Herman confirmed the ruling here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/554510/what-year-does-th...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivano Rosa
Italy
Ferentino
Frosinone
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is more likely that the game does not end because there are "wrong" cards on the War Ends Box...

Ivano

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kwiatkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is a "wrong" card? If the card is lower than the current year then the game ends anyway. It would be unlikely indeed to get the exact card in the exact year to end the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentzen wrote:
Yes, it ends in 1783. It's an oversight in the rules - but A) I think common sense dictates that since the turn track and the timeframe of the War Ends cards extends no further, you should end then, and B) I have played a couple dozen times and never played a game with zero War Ends cards. It can happen, but it's not going to happen often.

FYI, Mark Herman confirmed the ruling here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/554510/what-year-does-th...

That is what I expected - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, it has never happened. Please let us know if it ever does because that would be a first!

At any rate, this has been clarified in the online FAQ. See link here on BGG. I update this as any issue arises.

-Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivano Rosa
Italy
Ferentino
Frosinone
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
waffel wrote:
What is a "wrong" card? If the card is lower than the current year then the game ends anyway. It would be unlikely indeed to get the exact card in the exact year to end the game.

If an Automatic Victory has not occurred (13.1), the game ends if he "Lord North’s Government Falls - War Ends Event Strategy Card in the War Ends box states that the game ends on this turn or a previous turn. If the game ends, determine the winner per 13.2.

If the card shows the current year or a preceding year, then the game ends and victory is determined; see 13.0.

It says turn not turns... year not years..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, isn't each "turn" a year? There are up to 7 "rounds" per turn, but I think it's pretty straightforward, unless you don't want it to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivano Rosa
Italy
Ferentino
Frosinone
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
joel_m_toppen wrote:
Scott, it has never happened. Please let us know if it ever does because that would be a first!

At any rate, this has been clarified in the online FAQ. See link here on BGG. I update this as any issue arises.

-Joel

In Round 1 Tournament the game Gaberson-Pippus ends in 1783..... and i don't think because no War Ends Cards was draw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivano Rosa
Italy
Ferentino
Frosinone
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
iamspamus wrote:
Um, isn't each "turn" a year? There are up to 7 "rounds" per turn, but I think it's pretty straightforward, unless you don't want it to be.

Yes Turn=Year

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joel_m_toppen wrote:

-Joel

Thanks. I played for the first time last night. We did draw a North Falls card, but I did not know how common that was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because there are a number of cards which can trigger a reshuffle, it is highly unlikely that at a War Ends card NOT be drawn at some point before the end of 1783.

For the record, I tend to draw two of them every turn....yuksoblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kwiatkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordYupa wrote:
waffel wrote:

If an Automatic Victory has not occurred (13.1), the game ends if he "Lord North’s Government Falls - War Ends Event Strategy Card in the War Ends box states that the game ends on this turn or a previous turn. If the game ends, determine the winner per 13.2.

If the card shows the current year or a preceding year, then the game ends and victory is determined; see 13.0.

It's a bit ridiculous for a Pole to lecture you on English, but "a previous turn" means "any previous turn". "The previous turn" would mean "the exact one turn directly before the current one".

Edited for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivano Rosa
Italy
Ferentino
Frosinone
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
waffel wrote:
LordYupa wrote:
waffel wrote:

It's a bit ridiculous for a Pole to lecture you on English, but "a previous turn" means "any previous turn". "The previous turn" would mean "the exact one turn directly before the current one".

Edited for clarity.

Well, i hope you are wrong....but i think no...
we have played about 20 games, maybe many games could have ended before..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivano, I agree with Igor. I think that you're going to be a bit disappointed with Joel's answer... zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivano Rosa
Italy
Ferentino
Frosinone
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
iamspamus wrote:
Ivano, I agree with Igor. I think that you're going to be a bit disappointed with Joel's answer... zombie

Yep... Damn "singulars" words..

i think i'am in Joel's ignore list.. LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivano Rosa
Italy
Ferentino
Frosinone
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Igor..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Johnston
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordYupa wrote:
iamspamus wrote:

Yep... Damn "singulars" words..

(Dogpiling)
I think you mean "singular" shakewhistle

"A" does mean "any".

At least you got to play the game more, and that is never bad!!

Isn't it great when you can talk to one of the guys who made your product? How many other industries can do that? Try talking to someone at Apple or Jim Beam or...well, you get the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ivano, I agree with Igor. I think that you're going to be a bit disappointed with Joel's answer...

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Not yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kwiatkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joel_m_toppen wrote:
Quote:
Ivano, I agree with Igor. I think that you're going to be a bit disappointed with Joel's answer...

Here I go explaining English to native speakers...

Jason meant that Ivano was not going to enjoy your reply, because you were going to confirm what I was saying rather than support Ivano's interpretation.

Plain English FTW! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waffel wrote:
joel_m_toppen wrote:
Quote:

Here I go explaining English to native speakers...

Jason meant that Ivano was not going to enjoy your reply, because you were going to confirm what I was saying rather than support Ivano's interpretation.

Plain English FTW!

BAM! Spot on! Excellent explanation, Igor.

Seeing as you're from Poland that reminds me of Pirogis and some of those potato pancake thingys... Mmmmmmmmm (said in my best Homer Simpson drooling voice)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.