Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Mocked up a demo two player game tonight, and really enjoyed it. Lots of decisions and lots of different ways of scoring points. You only get a small subset of guilds in play each game, so which ones are there and how they work together will provide lots of variety.

Really challenging spatial element on the farm boards, in that you can't have workers next to each other. And the area surrounding a worker is huge compared to the size of the boards.

There's also a really nasty winter season mid-game, where you get no production. So you spend year 1 building up a nice workforce, then have a hard time paying for them. You can dismiss the workers to avoid paying, but then you have to slowly rebuild them up again...

The moment we finished, we put in our reservation for Essen. thumbsup
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

Mocked up a demo two player game tonight, and really enjoyed it. Lots of decisions and lots of different ways of scoring points. You only get a small subset of guilds in play each game, so which ones are there and how they work together will provide lots of variety.

Really challenging spatial element on the farm boards, in that you can't have workers next to each other. And the area surrounding a worker is huge compared to the size of the boards.

There's also a really nasty winter season mid-game, where you get no production. So you spend year 1 building up a nice workforce, then have a hard time paying for them. You can dismiss the workers to avoid paying, but then you have to slowly rebuild them up again...

The moment we finished, we put in our reservation for Essen. thumbsup

If I hadn't read this, I'm not sure I would have believed it. You've certainly hit upon some of the key factors of the game: variety, difficulty, winter, etc. And you did it just from the rules and the game illustrations I posted! And boy, there are a whole load of bits you must have made up! Never occurred to me anyone would try. This is going way beyond the call of duty. (And I know you are not a plant!)

So if you are short of a job anytime, I may think about creating a post for you as R&D's advertising manager!

In the meantime I've mailed you a few for your efforts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh. It wasn't too bad, most of it was pretty low tech, grab some pieces of blank paper and draw some circles and squares, write Veggies or Fish inside, raid some other games for meeples and resource cubes, etc. Works for a one off kind of thing.

Thank you for the tip, and for publishing the rules and other info. It really does help us make better buying decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the early report. Would you compare it to any other games you've played in terms of complexity, mechanics, or strategies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's tough. I'm not a comparison guy, most folks make game comparisons that leave me baffled, as I don't see much in common at all between them (like Pillars to Caylus or Stone Age).

If I had to, I'd say something like Planet Steam. Multiple resources with a market where the prices fluctuate, and you can switch what you're producing each turn to try and take advantage of that.

Cash seemed to be quite tight, since if you used your farmed resources for things like promoting or retiring workers, you're not getting income from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.