Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans van der Drift
Australia
Bulimba
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Craig,

You have made some of my best gaming experiences with the Euro Front/Rommel/ and now Hellenes.

So what do have planed next?

Regards

Hans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Good one Hans, I am really curious too!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good question. Hellenes to me is one of the best block games ever released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there would a few interesting expansions of Hellenes..
the 1st Peloponnesian War
the Persian Wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee, thanks guys. Glad you are feeling Hellenes is up to par.

Ronnie and I are working on Triumph and Tragedy, a grand strategic 1936-45 block game that we started working on over 5 years ago with Tim Taylor's help. It's a Q&D light treatment designed for either 2 or 3 players, the idea was a block Axis and Allies (but better). So far playtesters have loved it. Even musing about a Pacific twin game. We work mainly in the winter (being Canadians), so it may be ready in a year, but given my track record, probably will be 2.

Thanks for the suggestions, always open to new ideas. I have limited knowledge of much of history but learned a lot doing Hellenes and would like to do that again with another period. Mark's ideas for Hellenes expansions are intriguing, will look into that a bit.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario p.
Italy
Venice - Treviso
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice to know you're working on something new. Still didn't have the chance to play hellenes but it's the next in the list! I would probably be interested in a strategic 2WW blockgame if it's a light game but...I wonder if it's gonna find any market room in between the engulfed, the front and (in short) the sturm ones...?

why not a different and less overexposed period (in strategical blockgames)? like thirty years war or the first world war or french revolutionary-napoleonic wars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cicciburicci wrote:
why not a different and less overexposed period (in strategical blockgames)? like thirty years war or the first world war or french revolutionary-napoleonic wars?

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cicciburicci wrote:

Given that the main feature of block games is the hidden strength/type of unit, I would think that a more insurgent type of conflict would be better.

Ones that come to mind..
Napoleon in Spain
Vietnam (recently done as Hearts & Minds?)
Angola
Iraq (post invasion)
Afghanistan (in so many time periods it is frightening)
Chinese Civil War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario p.
Italy
Venice - Treviso
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:

Given that the main feature of block games is the hidden strength/type of unit, I would think that a more insurgent type of conflict would be better.

but that would probably go out of a strategical/grand strategical perspective, being on a theater/operative ground, I think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea Mark, I don't know if that exists already, but a guerrilla type of conflict in which the occupation army blocks have labels on both sides and the rebels only on the hidden side would be interesting!

Although this:
cbesinque wrote:
Triumph and Tragedy, a grand strategic 1936-45 block game ... It's a Q&D light treatment designed for either 2 or 3 players, the idea was a block Axis and Allies (but better) ... Even musing about a Pacific twin game.

looks pretty interesting too. We may not be a majority, but I don't have Axis & Allies because I find it too simple, nor Europe Engulfed because I find it too heavy... A lighter game but still interesting to play would be most definitely welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We really need a good World War One block game - that's something that's never been done before, as far as I know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.