Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night we played our first actual board game of 1960. (I had played 2 games with Vassal before this) I have a couple basic questions...

1.) How does it work if you use a 4CP card for issues? I know how the 1,2,3 works with each issue, and I know that you can put 2 on an issue spending 2 for 1. BUT... what if you have 4 CP? Do you 'waste' that 4th CP?

2.) What is the purpose of using a dual party card and placing it on the opponents side during the debates? Isn't it the whole idea to get 2 cards on YOUR OWN side to win the debate? Why would you waste a card by placing it on your opponents side?

3.) When placing cubes using an "Event" do you still have to do Support Checks if the state is being carried? (I think you DO have to do support checks) Provided there are no media cubes for that area...

Jim

By the way... My wife (her 1st game) won as Kennedy with... 269 Electoral Votes! surprise The cards off to the sides with cubes on them are from the "State Support Checks". We didn't place all the cubes due to the fact that we were already carrying those states. They didn't do either one of us any good at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If you can't use it, it is wasted, either get another CP or use only the 3CP cards for issue manipulation.

2) Using a dual party card to get an issue handled earlier in the debate means they get fewer rewards. It will also force a reorder of the issues track that may be favorable.

3) don't know from memory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandru Stanuta
Romania
Berceni
ILFOV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jim,

I will try to answer your questions... although I didn't play many games of 1960...

JimM wrote:
1.) How does it work if you use a 4CP card for issues? I know how the 1,2,3 works with each issue, and I know that you can put 2 on an issue spending 2 for 1. BUT... what if you have 4 CP? Do you 'waste' that 4th CP?

Let's get it straight: you use 1 CP for the first support on any issue and the 2 CP for the next support on the same issue.
For example: if you want to use a 2CP card, you can place 1 support on an issue and 1 on another.
If you want to use 3CP card, you can place 1 support on every issue OR 2 suport on any issue.
For 4CP cards, you can place 1 support on every issue and lose 1CP OR 1 support on an issue and 2 on another (like this you don't waste any CP).

JimM wrote:
2.) What is the purpose of using a dual party card and placing it on the opponents side during the debates? Isn't it the whole idea to get 2 cards on YOUR OWN side to win the debate? Why would you waste a card by placing it on your opponents side?

If anyone keeps a dual party card (a card with both the symbol of Kennedy and Nixon) for the debates, the player who wins the initiative in the debates chooses where to place these cards.

JimM wrote:
3.) When placing cubes using an "Event" do you still have to do Support Checks if the state is being carried? (I think you DO have to do support checks) Provided there are no media cubes for that area...

This is also a little unclear to me, but we are doing support checks in this situation.

Hope this helps.

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For question #3, unless the event says to use points as a campaign action you do not need to do a support check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Guys! On question #3. So, Kennedy would NOT need any support checks for any of these states if he wanted to remove 2 cubes from a state that was being carried. For example; Using the card:

MID-ATLANTIC

The Kennedy player may add a total of 5 state support in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania, no more than 2 per state.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimM wrote:
Thanks Guys! On question #3. So, Kennedy would NOT need any support checks for any of these states if he wanted to remove 2 cubes from a state that was being carried. For example; Using the card:

MID-ATLANTIC

The Kennedy player may add a total of 5 state support in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania, no more than 2 per state.

Jim

Correct. Support checks are done when using Campaign Points as a Campaign Action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alex1326 wrote:

JimM wrote:

If anyone keeps a dual party card (a card with both the symbol of Kennedy and Nixon) for the debates, the player who wins the initiative in the debates chooses where to place these cards.

Alex

This isn't entirely correct. The player who plays the dual party card choses which side to place it but if two are played at the same time on the same issue the player with initiative choses who plays theirs first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandru Stanuta
Romania
Berceni
ILFOV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lothartvni wrote:
The player who plays the dual party card choses which side to place it but if two are played at the same time on the same issue the player with initiative choses who plays theirs first.

I had checked the rules again and you are correct!

Thanks,
Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lothartvni wrote:
JimM wrote:

MID-ATLANTIC

Jim

Correct. Support checks are done when using Campaign Points as a Campaign Action.

Thanks, after my last post I searched the rule book and found it on page 9 under "Increasing State Support". (Sometimes you just miss these things...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Snider
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing that you have to draw from the bag ANYtime a state is being carried. Unless you have advertising. I think this gives more value to carrying a state, advertising, and also rest cubes. I am not sure if this is the right way but I think it better IMO.
I also play that you could use that one unused CP elswhere like on a state or advertising. I did not think that you had to play them all on the issues if you started.
This wasn't asked but I have been playing that you have to draw from the bag for the issues because I have found that the player who went second could most of the time win the issues if they chose to. I would put them on, my daughter would take them off until the last turn and she would have her way with them. I know that it is random who goes first but this is better IMO.
I just thought that a card with both Dem and Rep symbols on them meant that either side could use it during the debate.
Sorry if all this aren't the official rulings but I think they make the game more fun for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.