Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: BGG Zendo Game 7 Round 4 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
The new game hasn't been running long! New players should feel free to jump right in -- you haven't missed anything of consequence! The next posting will occur slightly before noon on Monday (BGG time.)

You can find the rules here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekjournal.php3?action=viewcom...

Yesterday's round is here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekjournal.php3?action=viewcom...

Both of last round's Mondo lists had the "Geek" nature. The current goldencamel holdings are:

KentuckyKid: goldencamelgoldencamel -1+1
mjwills: goldencamelgoldencamel +1
Orphius: goldencamelgoldencamel +2
royby: goldencamelgoldencamelgoldencamel +1
Rubric: goldencamelgoldencamelgoldencamel +1
s2alexan: goldencamel +1
Scurra: goldencamelgoldencamelgoldencamel +2
TomVasel: goldencamel -1+0

Last round saw the first couple guesses at the rule. There were the customary eight submissions with two Mondo lists.

Lists that have the "Geek" nature:

Exemplar(1): War of the Ring(#9609), Axis and Allies: Europe, Army of Darkness, Wiz-war
Scurra(1/Master): War of the Ring(#9609)
mjwills(1/Master): El Grande, Axis and Allies: Europe, Army of Darkness, Wiz-war
Rubric(1/Master): War of the Ring(#9609), Axis and Allies: Pacific, Army of Darkness, Wiz-war
s2alexan(1/Master): Melee
Scurra(2/Master): Puerto Rico, War of the Ring(#9609)
mjwills(2/Master): Ivanhoe(#883)
KentuckyKid(2/Master): Citadels
s2alexan(2/Master): Wiz-War
TomVasel(2/Mondo): Fist of Dragonstones
Orphius(2/Mondo): Goa, Heroscape
Counterexample(3/KentuckyKid): Gloom, San Marco, Ticket to Ride
Rubric(3/Master): Wizard(#3463)
Counterexample(3/TomVasel): Kriegspiel, Octiles, Balloon Cup, Luftwaffe, Keythedral
royby(3/Master): War to the Death, Axis and Allies: Europe, Army of Darkness, Wiz-war
s2alexan(3/Master): El Grande
Orphius(3/Master): Tigris & Euphrates

Lists that do not have the "Geek" nature:

Exemplar(1): Melee, Wizard(#3463), Car Wars, Munchkin
royby(1/Master): War to the Death, Axis and Allies: Pacific, Age of Heroes(#10631), Winter War
KentuckyKid(1/Master): Army of Darkness, Axis and Allies: Europe, Wiz-war, War of the Ring(#9609)
TomVasel(1/Mondo): Risk - The Lord of the Rings, Mission Command Land, Polterdice, Bootleggers, Robo Rally - Crash & Burn, Europa 1945-2030, Quintagon, Face-it, What Were You Thinking?, Java, Sequence, Duell(#2409), Weapons & Warriors - Castle Siege Game, Backgammon, Monopoly - Simpsons Edition, Monopoly, Telepaths, Linq, Mexica, Chip-Chip Hurra, Family Business, King's Gate, Mutiny, Citadels, San Marco, Cairo, Ticket to Ride Europe, Capitol, Reef Encounter, The Reef, Bandu, Big Top(#7048), Sunda to Sahul, Geist, Nautilus, Chicken Cha Cha Cha, Checkers, Talkin' Tango, Smarty Party, Wongar, Igloo Pop, Airline(#5594), Blood Bowl - Second Edition, Overpower, Pig Pile, Fist of Dragonstones, Wooly Bully, Flea Circus(#7120), Quandary(#398), Evo, Way out West, Goa, Ys
Orphius(1/Mondo): Puerto Rico, Tigris and Euphrates, Settlers of Catan
Rubric(2/Master): Battle of the Bulge(#426), Battle of the Bulge(#15981), Battle of the Bulge(#5607), Battle of the Bulge(#7176)
royby(2/Master): Wiz-war, Army of Darkness, Axis and Allies: Europe, War of the Ring(#9609)
mjwills(3/Master): Axis and Allies: Europe, El Grande, Wiz-war, Army of Darkness
Scurra(3/Master): Einfach Genial, Bang!

Current Mondo lists: vote now! (by BGG mail to me)

KentuckyKid(3/Mondo): War of the Ring(#9609), Puerto Rico
TomVasel(3/Mondo): Return of the Heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Master list
Heroscape, Goa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Walker
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Master
Axis and Allies: Europe, Axis and Allies: Pacific

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Master
Gloom, San Marco, Ticket to Ride Europe (master)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
People, use your camels!

Here's another camel guess...

"A list has the geek nature if it has less than twelve games in it"

And here's another Mondo

"Easy Money, Diceland, 25 Words or Less"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess
Here's my guess (damn that Battle of the Bulge):

"A list has the geek nature if there are no duplicates (no games with the same name) and all but the last entry in the list have no BGG alternate names (ie the last entry can have an alternate name, but those before it can't)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Here's my guess (damn that Battle of the Bulge):

"A list has the geek nature if there are no duplicates (no games with the same name) and all but the last entry in the list have no BGG alternate names (ie the last entry can have an alternate name, but those before it can't)."

To clarify, when I say 'no duplicates' I mean no duplicates within the list (this is to specifically handle the Battle of the Bulge entry). I don't mean duplicates within the BGG database (ie according to my theory, a list containing a single Battle of the Bulge would meet the geek nature).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
Master
Bang!, Einfach Genial

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
...and a guess
I'll use a camel! My guess:

"A list has the Geek nature if it either consists of exactly one game, or is one of the following lists:

War of the Ring(#9609), Axis and Allies: Europe, Army of Darkness, Wiz-war
El Grande, Axis and Allies: Europe, Army of Darkness, Wiz-war
War of the Ring(#9609), Axis and Allies: Pacific, Army of Darkness, Wiz-war
Puerto Rico, War of the Ring(#9609)
Goa, Heroscape
Gloom, San Marco, Ticket to Ride
Kriegspiel, Octiles, Balloon Cup, Luftwaffe, Keythedral
War to the Death, Axis and Allies: Europe, Army of Darkness, Wiz-war"

sauronninjasauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok; one at a time . First, I'll take Tom's camel.

He really deserves a 2 element list that doesn't have the geek nature - like Scurra's round 3 Master list, for example.

But - just for the fun of it - here's a 13 element list that has the "Geek" nature.

Counterexample(4/TomVasel): Medici, Jenga, Boggle, Flinke Pinke, Probe, Samarkand, Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation, Robert Ludlum's Game of Counter Espionage, Oltremare - Merchants of Venice, Wallenstein, Coloretto - die Extrakarten, Scotland Yard, Bohnanza

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next, I'll take mjwills' camel. If I understand his rule correctly, a counterexample could be either a list with a duplicate entry that has the "Geek" nature, or a list on which a non-final element has an alternate name that does not have the "Geek" nature. I'll choose the second of those: this list does NOT have the "Geek" nature.

Counterexample(4/mjwills): Abenteuer Menschheit, Settlers of the Stone Age

And just in case you think I've used a duplicate entry, the reverse of the list HAS the "Geek" nature.

Tangent(4/mjwills): Settlers of the Stone Age, Abenteuer Menschheit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next, I'll take KentuckyKid's camel. Since Tom's counterexample and mjwills' tangent entry are both counterexamples for KentuckyKid's rule, I'm not entirely convinced another counterexample is strictly necessary.

I mean, really! That's an ugly rule. I wouldn't do that to you all, gentle students.

But I'd really wanted to get Basari onto a "Geek"-natured list today: so, the following HAS the "Geek" nature:
Counterexample(4/KentuckyKid): Basari, Schotten Totten, Struggle of Empires, Illuminati: New World Order

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Peters
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Spend a Camel, bear the shame...
Ok, I'll spend one of these camels. Not only are they burning a hole in my pocket, they eat too much, have gas, and spit.

Here is my First Guess at The Geek Nature:

A list, O Wise One, posesses the Geek Nature if the following is true:

*A List contains a single Entry, OR

*The Penultimate Vowel in the first Entry of the List also occurs in the second Entry of the List, AND,

*The Initial Vowel in the Second Entry of the List (which may or may NOT be the first letter in said Entry) is found to occur in the following Entry (heretofore known as the Third Entry of the List), OR

*The Ultimate Vowel in the Second Entry of the List (which may or may NOT be the final letter in said Entry) is found to occur in the following Entry (see above) UNLESS

*The List contains a Second Entry which begins with a Vowel, in which case, when moving from Third Entry to Fourth Entry, it is the Ultimate Vowel which is found to be repeated.

*All subsequent Entries in the List will alternate between passing on their Ultimate and Penultimate Vowels.

Um... or something like that.
If nothing else, it'll make The Learned Zendo Master work to think of a counter example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Next, I'll take mjwills' camel. If I understand his rule correctly, a counterexample could be either a list with a duplicate entry that has the "Geek" nature

Correct.

Quote:
or a list on which a non-final element has an alternate name that does not have the "Geek" nature.

Not quite. If a non-final element has an alternate name my rule would say it lacked the Geek nature (so a counter example would be a multi game list where an entry other than the last one had an alternate name - and yet the list had the Geek Nature). Sorry for the wording - it was the best I could come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And just in case you think I've used a duplicate entry, the reverse of the list HAS the "Geek" nature.

Tangent(4/mjwills): Settlers of the Stone Age, Abenteuer Menschheit

Note that the above list fulfills my criteria, so no need to post another one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
People, use your camels!

I would, except that all the ideas I have had so far have been rather too much like "extreme" cases (such as royby's guess) and, frankly, I don't think they help anyone.

Plus I'm setting up as a camel-trader (I'll offer two camels for a wood and a brick) so I need all the help I can get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Peters
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Quote:
People, use your camels!

I would, except that all the ideas I have had so far have been rather too much like "extreme" cases (such as royby's guess).

Extreme?

That was my closest attempt at a simple guess. I was saving the "extreme" one for later. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Not quite. If a non-final element has an alternate name my rule would say it lacked the Geek nature (so a counter example would be a multi game list where an entry other than the last one had an alternate name - and yet the list had the Geek Nature). Sorry for the wording - it was the best I could come up with.

My apologies. Your wording was quite correct; I processed it incompetently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take royby's camel too. After my mis-step with mjwills' rule, I'll need to be a bit more careful, so I assert that the following list HAS the "Geek" nature.

Counterexample(4/royby): Melee, Quoridor

Proof that it's a counterexample is left as an exercise for the reader!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Peters
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Master Guess
Quote:

Counterexample(4/royby): Melee, Quoridor

Proof that it's a counterexample is left as an exercise for the reader!

So my Master Guess will be:

Quoridor, Melee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.