Bryan Buchsdrucker
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: Revised Poll on page 2.

Which do you prefer to play? Strategic, Tactical, or both?

For the scope of my poll please consider strategic and tactical to be defined by the examples given below. (and your own judgment)

Examples of a strategic wargame would be:
Europe Engulfed
A Most Dangerous Time: Japan in Chaos, 1570-1584
Ikusa
Twilight Struggle

Examples of a tactical wargame would be:
ASL
Commands & Colors: Ancients
Napoleon's Triumph
Combat Commander

Poll
I'm only a semi serious wargamer, and the other day I started to consciously think about the scope of wargames that I tended to enjoy. So after going through my favorites I came to the conclusion that I prefer grand strategy type games more than I do unit based tactical games. I think it's the fact I can usually go shopping for new kit in those games. (I have spending issues in real life :ninja:)

Then I figured I'd make a poll.:D
Strategy games or Tactical games?
I prefer to look at the big picture
I like to micro manage
I can't choose, I love them both equally!
      154 answers
Poll created by Byrns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love them both, and I also like Operationsl games. It just depends on my mood and what my opponents want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmbmb
All types, depends on what I'm in the mood for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamesmeister99 wrote:
All types, depends on what I'm in the mood for.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible to micro-manage strategic games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:

In fact it happens all too often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love them both, however, I tend to play many more tactical games as you can finish a scenario in an evening while strategic games often require several day-long sessions to play out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer operational/strategic games, but I equally enjoy tactical games as well.
Having said that, the only tactical game I played was CC:A, but I like that one.

But you asked "what I prefer" and I prefer to look at the big picture.

Cheers, Haring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy playing games at a variety of scales, but the ones I find most fascinating are strategic. It's all about examining the options available and seeing how history might have turned out differently, or why it played out the way it did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I love them both, and I also like Operationsl games. It just depends on my mood and what my opponents want to play.

My thoughts exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you mean a strategic/tactical dichotomy based on scale, not on the level of planning the game requires. A "strategic" game might require you to plan far ahead, whereas a tactical game requires you to maintain enough flexibility to react to immediate threats or openings but otherwise not reward long term planning.

My own wargaming preferences tend to be outside of scale. For example, I enjoy the eastern front in WW2, and there are a wide variety of games at the strategic level but that vary widely in unit scale.

For me, the primary concerns are a) table space, b) availability of opponents, c) time available to play, and d) period (not necessarily in that order). A decision regarding time/space scale of a game is less important.

That said, I find myself drifting away from grand strategic games as not fitting within the parameters above, and I am considering making a lifestyle choice to take up ASL once I move in a year or three (and plan to never move again, if I can possibly help it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play a big-picture game, I may have a lot of fun, but to some degree I usually resent that it's so abstract and seems so much like "alternate history" (i.e., fiction--the portrayal of something that never actually happened and might not have even been a real possibility).

When I play a close-up-to-the-action tactical game, I may also have a lot of fun, but to some degree I usually resent having to take care of fiddly details like checking LOS (line of sight). Sometimes it can also feel like "generic combat" instead of anything truly historical.

So, there are pluses and minuses to both scales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend asking this question on three levels:

Strategic
Operational
Tactical

For example, games like Command and Colors: Ancients and Napoleon's Triumph are more operational than tactical, as they involve the movement of roughly brigade sized units over terrain over several hours or possibly days. True tactical games, like ASL, are more focused on an individual firefight between small groups of soldiers over the course of tens of minutes.

That said, I enjoy all three levels of simulation, but probably prefer the operational level best. Tactical games can get too caught up in detail or simply fail enable me to suspend my disbelief when it takes 1 hour to game something that occurs in 3 minutes, and strategic games tend to run long and involve lots of diplomacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on those choices I would say that I definitely prefer strategic first then a ways down from there tactical, and finally operational. However I still enjoy all three when I get to play them, ie I don't dislike any of those scales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategy all the way. I want to fight over the future of empires, not to capture a pesticide factory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Operational would be my vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Strategy all the way. I want to fight over the future of empires, not to capture a pesticide factory.

That was not a pesticide factory. They were WMDs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always strategic.

I don't like tactical games. They are to personal. I don't like to see the name of the guy I'm about to send to dead... if it is an all army I do not care

Operational is somewhat ok... but if you ask me which one... Strategic would be my thing.

I can even give you more details.

Strategic, card driven and point-to-point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Hungadunga wrote:

In fact it happens all too often.

Yeah, I remember one case in particular...there was this one guy, with a funny mustache and a bad haircut...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the in-between case: Operational

Give me division or corps level playing pieces, a whole front (let's say, Eastern Front, WW2), a defined timespan and defined, historical reinforcements, and I'm happy. Tactical is not my favorite because I find the disconnect between the game and the reality sometimes too great, and while I'm OK with strategic level games, I'd prefer to not be bothered with production systems and political considerations. I'd rather be in the shoes of an army or front commander, rather than a company commander or political head of state.

Here is a pic of an operational level game I'm playing right now - this setting is just about perfect for me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey H
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I like to micro manage

I find it funny that tactical games would be considered micro managing. With the current tactical designs out there (command rules, moral rules, random activations), it seems that micro management is tough to accomplish. The players is ofton forced to make the best of a current situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer tactical level games to operational or strategic, but that does not mean I won't play games at the operational or strategic levels. I like being in the mud with the grunts, or perched in the open hatch of a tank, or gripping the stick of my fighter plane (or wheel of my B-17F bomber), leading a squad or squadron into battle over a single hill, small town, or yes, a pesticide factory.

Not that I can't get a rush over being the supreme commander over an invasion force, deciding which battalions will live and which will die in glorious conquests. Or grimly defending my homeland from vicious enemy troops, sending battalions into the teeth of the line to delay the enemy while reinforcements are on their way.

As long as you have fun, does it really matter what level of game you prefer to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
I strongly prefer Operational or Strategic level games to Tactical games, and that preference has been growing much stronger of late. if I had to guess, I'd say, ironically, that the increased abstraction of Operational and Strategic wargames actually makes them more realistic, and thus helps appeal to the simulationist inside of me.

Time in the military quickly convinced me that boardgames don't do tactical-level simulation all that well. Initiative problems, command structure, opaque and mercurial 'victory conditions', the absolute dearth of reliable information - even ASL's detail-slog misses the forest for the trees. I'm not saying many tactical games aren't good games, or that O&S games don't have their own problems; they just don't tickle my simulationist-side the way a good Operational or Strategic game does, especially one which incorporates politics into the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote would be for a lower-level operational game, or a higher-level tactical game ("grand tactical" perhaps?). Just high enough that you do not need to worry much about micromanaging LOS or defensive fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
For example, games like Command and Colors: Ancients and Napoleon's Triumph are more operational than tactical

In this is the case (And I believe anybody with more knowledge on the subject..Which is everybody ) Then it's settled.
I indeed prefer operational/strategic games over tactical.

Conquer galaxies, not the local supermarket!

Cheers, Haring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.