Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My non-gaming husband expressed an interest in a worker placement scenario: Place workers, feed them, care for them, etc.

I am dizzy from looking up options.

Please request titles and please, please, please.........they must be GOOD WITH 2 players.

I have looked at several options, none of which have satisfied me.

REJECTED SO FAR:
Egizia
Caylus
Caylus Magna Carta

Thanks!

NEW QUESTION: What about 2-player Puerto Rico?
Also, what about Homesteaders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve E.
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I need help. Worker Placement and care, good with 2, no runaway leader, interesting and FUN!!!!!!!!
Have you looked at Agricola and Dungeon Lords?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I need help. Worker Placement and care, good with 2, no runaway leader, interesting and FUN!!!!!!!!
Stone Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconding Stone Age

Plays very well with 2 - plus can also be played with 3 or 4
Light enough for a 'non-gamer' to pick up quickly while allowing plenty of room for strategic & tactical decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreadnaut wrote:

Worth repeating... Stone age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Stone Age or Agricola. Stone Age is lighter and more "fun" while Agricola is a bit harder and more serious.

I'd go with Stone Age. I just got it for my wife and she loves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

I must say I'm a tad surprised at the rejection of Caylus. It is widely regarded as a GREAT 2 player worker placement game.

That said, what level of depth are you looking for? A new worker placement that just came out, plays well (but is a tad daunting) with two, is Dominant Species. It may be too much, but I figured I'd give it a shot as I love it right now...just finished my first two player game last night.

Otherwise I'd agree with the above posters and say Agricola or Stone Age are probably your best options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(2 notes: I'm still pretty new to hobby gaming so consider that. And I'm assuming Egizia got the chop due to a runaway winner displayed by the victory point track)

I just got Agricola and have played it 3 times now... one time with 2, one time solo, and one time with five.

I have had a total blast with this game. It's definitely a bite your nails/ what the heck do I do each turn? game, but I think it's a lot of fun.

Both the 2 player and 5 player games were very tight scoring wise so I think it fulfills that requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pillars of the Earth

I've only ever played it with 2, and it's pretty fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've rejected Caylus, then Stone Age is definitely what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dalton
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the repetition. Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered Carson City?

I know it plays well with more people, but I haven't been disappointed with 2 at all. In fact enjoy this a lot. Also the big plus is this is short, just 4 rounds. To make matters more interesting players might end up fighting for the same spots on the board for which there is a duel element. Awesome game with all known mechanics put into one single game. High replayability and lots of different paths to victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
My non-gaming husband expressed an interest in a worker placement scenario: Place workers, feed them, care for them, etc.

Please request titles and please, please, please.........they must be GOOD WITH 2 players.

REJECTED SO FAR:
Egizia
Caylus
Caylus Magna Carta

Thanks!

Sounds like he wants a Euro that's not a Euro. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Caylus is the best of the bunch by far. It is the only truly good game that has been mentioned. Agricola is an amusing time waster. The Pillars of the Earth is mildly annoying, kinda like Caylus without the good bits. Stone Age is garbage, Caylus without the good bits and with actively annoying parts thrown in. As far as Carson City is concerned, I positively hate the game. The extremely poorly implemented duel mechanic ruins what could otherwise have been an interesting game.

To the extent that your husband and I have opposing tastes (and I suspect that it is pretty close), I will echo either Stone Age or Carson City.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thorndor wrote:
I think Caylus is the best of the bunch by far. It is the only truly good game that has been mentioned. Agricola is an amusing time waster. The Pillars of the Earth is mildly annoying, kinda like Caylus without the good bits. Stone Age is garbage, Caylus without the good bits and with actively annoying parts thrown in. As far as Carson City is concerned, I positively hate the game. The extremely poorly implemented duel mechanic ruins what could otherwise have been an interesting game.

To the extent that your husband and I have opposing tastes (and I suspect that it is pretty close), I will echo either Stone Age or Carson City.

Well, the main issue is that he is a non-gamer and whatever we get--whether he likes it or not--will not get much table time.

He said he preferred it to be a long game (which I have NO IDEA when I would be able to play as I have very little free time) and he is definitely not afraid of complex games at all.

Caylus negatives seem to be "the rich get richer" problem which could end up with a runaway leader--which neither of us like.

Stone Age seems too light and that it would get boring fast.

Agricola........sigh.......don't know if I want to make that kind of investment into the game for it to potentially sit on the shelf. I really don't see myself with the free 2 hours to sit and play it!!!! Plus it's an extra $30 for the animeeples and veggimeeples.

AARGH!! I was really hoping to find a hidden gem with this thread.

Thanks to you all!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I vote for either the amusing time waster or the garbage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, he loves Evony-type MMOs and likes the aspect of building, recruiting his heroes, supplying them, upgrading them, etc.

I guess he is looking for a similar feel in a boardgame--or so he says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Also, he loves Evony-type MMOs and likes the aspect of building, recruiting his heroes, supplying them, upgrading them, etc.

Then are you looking for worker placement or something more like Thunderstone, which I have not played and know very little about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be completely different...Cat & Fish.

Ignore the cutesy, girly art. There is some seriously good game action here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
If no current titles are catching your interest, Olympus, which appears to be a civ-building game through worker placement, is being released at Essen next month. (Although having taken a closer look at it, it appears to not play well with 2...)

Another upcoming Z-Man game which, while it isn't "worker placement" per se, seems to incorporate different characters and buildings, is De Vulgari Eloquentia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

If you are interested in Thunderstone (not a Euro at all), I have played, helped write the v1.4 edition of the rules, the expansion rules, and am the official Thunderstone Guru here on the forums. If it turns out you are interested in that, let me know and I'll fill you in. That said, remember, it is NOT even close to a Worker Placement game.

Also, if I might suggest something a little off the path of what has previously been suggested, take a look at Cyclades. While not a worker placement, it is an interesting auction/war/euro game combination which may appeal to his tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elton Christianson
msg tools
mbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

With this comment, combined with complex it ok, I have to 2nd Dungeon Lords.

The theme is reversed, in that you build a dungeon, hire monsters, and repell two attacks by adventures. . There will not be a runaway leader problem. It plays best with 4 but I play 2 often and am very happy with the way it plays. Other will disagree and only play 4 people. And after two games you will know it well enough to finish it in 90 min.

You two can see the game and rule book online before buying to get a feel about the game. Or visit the PBF Forum and "watch" a few games played. Give it a lookup and see if it interests you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
...Agricola........sigh.......don't know if I want to make that kind of investment into the game for it to potentially sit on the shelf. I really don't see myself with the free 2 hours to sit and play it!!!! Plus it's an extra $30 for the animeeples and veggimeeples.

AARGH!! I was really hoping to find a hidden gem with this thread.

Thanks to you all!!!

Don't let the price of Agricola stop you; an online purchase should get you a significant discount. Second, don't fixate on the meeples; in terms of gameplay, they are insignificant. Third, a 2-player game absolutely should NOT consume two hours; 1.5 hours would be tops. Most importantly, the game scales superbly up to 5 players, and would be an excellent entertainment value with a likeminded couple.

Beyond that, you might consider Age of Empires III, as well as many of the titles listed by others. Also Hansa Teutonica when it's released domestically, although I'm not too familiar with its scalability to two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

REJECTED SO FAR:
Egizia
Caylus
Caylus Magna Carta

Thanks!

Disclaimer for anyone who may not know that MMB and I have talked about this before: this is not just a drive-by recommendation, I don't make it lightly.

Tell your husband it's time to get you Antiquity for Christmas.

Agricola is an in-print option, and it only takes us an hour for 2p (storage and organization of bits is key).

For something different - La Città.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
If he really is a non-gamer, Stone Age indeed.

And if he is tempted by more complex stuff after all, Dungeon Lords. It has so many similarities to Stone Age that when I read the rules of the latter (which I also got later than Dungeon Lords), I felt like "ah, so there's this small subset of the DL rules that can make up a complete game of its own". Plus the dice, of course, DL doesn't have dice (but also has unpredictability).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.