United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I attended a gaming convention last week. In preparation, I decided to bring a number of games to introduce to others. Werewolves, of course, made it in, and then I started digging through the closet to decide what would be best. And there it was. Sad and neglected, even with a thin layer of dust to emphasize it’s lack of love. Tigris & Euphrates.

I enjoy T&E a lot. I think its one of the funner (yes, I still intend to make "funner" a word through frequent repetition) games I own. Despite that, it still doesn’t see much table time. T&E is a medium/heavy tile-laying game where you use your leaders to secure support from temples, markets, rivers, and political bases. There is heavy player interaction, a good deal of strategy, and just the right amount of randomization as the players draw their playing tiles from a bag. Diversification is essential as the only points that count are the points from the category you did poorest in. With so much going for it, I often try to offer it up on game night, but it still doesn’t see a lot of play. Why not?

Well, T&E is only for three or four players. Most of my game nights are in the five to seven territory, so its rare that T&E is even available. And, with a three player minimum, it can’t even be part of Operation GamerWife. When I do have the chance to suggest it, T&E doesn’t get a lot of support from the group because it does tend to be a little drier. T&E is about laying your tiles and scoring your points. Like many Knizia games, the mechanics take center stage and the theme does little to draw the player in. Plus, if certain people are prone to analysis paralysis, this game can last longer than intended.

What about you? What game do you thoroughly enjoy that rarely hits the table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial, oh Imperial! Tho I am getting the group interested by CONSTANTLY telling them how it's just like Power Grid, but with more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy. It was given to me as a gift and looks really interesting, but I never have 7 people ready to try a new, and very long game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Koppelaar
Netherlands
Leerdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me that would be Shogun. Ever since I bought it, it has seen daylight only twice, and then it would be played only to the halfway point.
Although the bgg page says it requires 2 and a half hour to complete a full game, my friends and I easily reach that time for a half game.
Something tells me we are doing something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
MyParadox wrote:
What about you? What game do you thoroughly enjoy that rarely hits the table?

Samurai Swords, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can never seem to round up enough players for a few laps of Formula Dé.

Actually the list of games I could add here is very long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Genoa
Needs 4 or 5...& needs the right 4 or 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Who finds 5 people for Santiago?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
18AL. It's hit the table once.

This will shortly be surpassed by Here I Stand, I'm sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
A fairly complete collection of Descent: Journeys in the Dark and it's children. I get them out and open their boxes from time to time, just so they feel loved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Junta!
That game is pure fun with the right people, but it takes 3 or 4 hours, and 7 (right) people!
Only got to play it once, and it was a really funny game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Die Macher I have 1.5 plays and really like it. It is deep and fun... but it seems hard to get it to the table... especially hard on our weekly game night where we only have 3-4 hours of play time available.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of our 3-player minimum games. It's usually only my wife and I that play games. We have never had the opportunity to play Oasis, as a result, and it seems there are no 2 player variations. Settlers of Catan I enjoy, but again, need 3. Cleopatra and the Society of Architects we have only played once because of the 3 player annoyance. Those three games are very probably games I wouldn't have bought if I knew they required a minimum of 3 players (I know, stoopid on me for not reading the number of players required before buying ). I'm still trying to find a way to play Cleopatra and Oasis with two.... which has been unsuccessful at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesjunkie wrote:
Most of our 3-player minimum games. It's usually only my wife and I that play games.

We have a similar issue. We do have 3 if you count my 14yo daughter, and she does like to play with us.

We keep trying to find another couple to rope in invite to a weekly game day/night, but no takers thus far.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
It would have to be Buck Rogers: Battle for the 25th Century Game.
This was one of the first games I bought when I got into gaming. I played it quite a few times back then. But nowadays I can't get enough friends interested to play it. There are lots of unplayed/rarely played games on my shelf (Assault on Hoth, Settlers of Catan, Small World, Space Hulk, Twilight Imperium, Memoir '44), but Buck Rogers is still top of the list of games I want to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of three. Shogun, Die Macher and El Grande. One play of Shogun and two each for Die Macher and El Grande. I know I'll play these again in the future but they keep running up against the "cult of the new" and wind up on the back burner in favor of some lesser trendy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesjunkie wrote:
Most of our 3-player minimum games. It's usually only my wife and I that play games. We have never had the opportunity to play Oasis, as a result, and it seems there are no 2 player variations. Settlers of Catan I enjoy, but again, need 3. Cleopatra and the Society of Architects we have only played once because of the 3 player annoyance. Those three games are very probably games I wouldn't have bought if I knew they required a minimum of 3 players (I know, stoopid on me for not reading the number of players required before buying ). I'm still trying to find a way to play Cleopatra and Oasis with two.... which has been unsuccessful at best.

Settlers has a more-or-less official 2-player variant:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/21616/klaus2player-pdf

some like it, some don't, but you might give it a try.

Oasis & Cleopatra are also on my 3+ wait list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Ameritrash
United States
Statesboro
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
AFC
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape
I enjoy the game itself just fine, it's the long setup and takedown that sucks all the joy out of the game for me. I put it on my trade list in the hopes that someone would be willing to give it a good home, but so far, no takers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Gallactica:

Love the theme and traitor mechanic, read all the reviews, learned all the rules off by heart...

Played it once, halfway through...

Flatmate 1:
"Well this is fun... (turn heads to the side, purse lips and squint)
but its a little physiological - shall we watch that film instead?

Flatmate 2:
"Yea (tosses cards onto the board) I was the Cylon by the way. Fun game".

Me:
(crestfallen)
Battlestar Gallactica:
(Now. Dusty.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.