Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: More on Throne Room rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mel Gibson
Canada
Alaska
flag msg tools
I apologize if this has been answered previously, but I cannot find where it has been:

Throne Room Text:
Choose an Action card in your hand. Play it twice.

Say I choose Laboratory. This gives me 2 cards and 1 Action.

Do I have to resolve/execute the Action from the first Lab before playing the Lab the second time?

If the answer is yes, it is possible I have no Action to execute after the first draw of two cards. Does that mean I lose the Action, or do they accumulate?

If the answer is no, then Throne Rooming the Lab is essentially the same as "Draw four cards, add two Actions".

More generally, when I get a +Action, do I have to resolve/select/execute that Action before proceeding?

Concrete example:

Hand: Throne Room, Lab, Copper, Copper, Copper

Play Throne Room, play Lab

Draw: Copper and Copper

Do I increase Action count by 1 or lose the action from Lab because I have no current Action.

Play Lab Second Time:

Draw: Witch, Smithy

I now have an Action associated with the second lab. Do I still have the Action associated with the first one? If yes, I can play both Witch and Smithy. If no, I can only play one of them.

In my experience playing and with BSW, I get the impression that the Action count accumulates. This makes sense since the 2 Action cards (such as Village and Festival), create a situation where it may be a while before I can play the second action, and also potential confusion related to recursion (if I play Village twice, which Village's actions do I play first?). In many cases, it doesn't matter, but I think the above situation shows where it does.

Thanks

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOHN TODD JENSEN
United States
CLYMAN
WI
flag msg tools
Ask me about it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"+x Actions" does not mean "immediately play x actions." It means "add x to the mental count of Actions in your head to be played after you resolve the current action." Which, in this case, is the Throne Room, so the result of Throne Rooming a Lab is 2 actions left, 7 cards in hand, if it is the first action played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Action does not mean "play another action card" it means "add 1 to the total number of actions you can play this turn." You must fully resolve the action you're on before moving on to playing others.

Throne Room + Laboratory does the following:

Laboratory #1: draw 2 cards, add 1 to the number of actions available. You now have 1 action remaining.
Laboratory #2: draw 2 more cards, add 1 to the number of actions available: You now have 2 actions remaining.

Only after that can you start playing other action cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dpaslaws wrote:
If the answer is no, then Throne Rooming the Lab is essentially the same as "Draw four cards, add two Actions".

This is right, but try not to think of Throne Room as doubling the action card: be sure to play it twice.

For example if you play Throne Room and choose another Throne Room in your hand and then play Smithy, the following happens:

Throne Room #1: choose Smithy
Smithy #1: draw 3 cards.
Smithy #2: draw 3 more cards.
Throne Room #2: choose another action card in your (now much bigger) hand, play it twice.

If you chose Laboratory for your second Throne Room in the above example, playing those four action cards total would net you 10 cards and 2 actions.

Sorry for the double response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
banyan wrote:
dpaslaws wrote:

This is right, but try not to think of Throne Room as doubling the action card: be sure to play it twice.

For example if you play Throne Room and choose another Throne Room in your hand and then play Smithy, the following happens:

Throne Room #1: choose Smithy
Smithy #1: draw 3 cards.
Smithy #2: draw 3 more cards.
Throne Room #2: choose another action card in your (now much bigger) hand, play it twice.

If you chose Laboratory for your second Throne Room in the above example, playing those four action cards total would net you 10 cards and 2 actions.

Sorry for the double response.

I think your example is a bit confusing. You might want to add the first Throne Room played into your list of cards there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it as cards that add +$2. You don't spend that money immediately when playing the card, it accumulates over the turn and is added to your treasure cards during your buy phase to determine how much you have to spend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Gibson
Canada
Alaska
flag msg tools
banyan wrote:
+1 Action does not mean "play another action card" it means "add 1 to the total number of actions you can play this turn." You must fully resolve the action you're on before moving on to playing others.

Throne Room + Laboratory does the following:

Laboratory #1: draw 2 cards, add 1 to the number of actions available. You now have 1 action remaining.
Laboratory #2: draw 2 more cards, add 1 to the number of actions available: You now have 2 actions remaining.

Only after that can you start playing other action cards.

This is what I thought, and is how I have played it and seen it being played. The key is that:

+X Action(s) means "Add X to the total number of actions you can play this turn."

I can envision rules such that the above case might work as follows:

Laboratory #1: draw 2 cards, add 1 to the number of actions available. You now have 1 action remaining. Modified rules say that I must identify this action now or forfeit the action

This mechanic would quickly lead to confusion when chaining +Action cards as I noted in my original post, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the responses.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. B.
msg tools
cferejohn wrote:
Think of it as cards that add +$2. You don't spend that money immediately when playing the card, it accumulates over the turn and is added to your treasure cards during your buy phase to determine how much you have to spend.

A good way to put it.

Another comparison is to look at cards that give +1 Action and then have other text after. You don't stop to play out the +1 Action until you've finished the rest of the card. This shows that the Action itself is not nested within the card play.
For example, Warehouse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dpaslaws wrote:
Modified rules say that I must identify this action now or forfeit the action
Huh? You don't have to "identify" what action you're playing until you actually play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
dpaslaws wrote:
Modified rules say that I must identify this action now or forfeit the action
Huh? You don't have to "identify" what action you're playing until you actually play it.

He was talking about a hypothetical alternate version/interpretation of the rules, no the actual ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mills
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What timing! I was Googling for this answer, and when I couldn't find it phrased in this specific way I worked up a quick image to accompany my question here.

Then I found this thread...

Here is the image:

My question originally centered around the right-side, blue lines; namely, is the +1 action given by the Spy used immediately, at any time, or only after the card that was "Throne-roomed."

If I understand the replies in this thread the spy card (and the council room) should not have been played at all during steps 1 & 2. First appearance of Village gave me +1 card, and added +2 actions to the pool of actions available in this turn. Second appearance of Village gave me another card, and +2 actions to the pool of actions. At this point the Throne Room and the affected card are "resolved." Now I have 4 actions I may use.

If you can confirm I have this right that would be great.

Thanks
bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If I understand the replies in this thread the spy card (and the council room) should not have been played at all during steps 1 & 2. First appearance of Village gave me +1 card, and added +2 actions to the pool of actions available in this turn. Second appearance of Village gave me another card, and +2 actions to the pool of actions. At this point the Throne Room and the affected card are "resolved." Now I have 4 actions I may use.

If you can confirm I have this right that would be great.

Thanks
bob

This is correct.

You first deal with the throne room and the card you played for it (village). When you're done resolving the throne roomed village, you'll have gotten 2 cards (1 from each village) and 4 more actions in your actions pool, so you can play additional actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mills
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Polgara.

In light of this info the game rules become clearer (isn't that always the case!)

The red lines in my drawing violate this instruction from the rules
Quote:
You cannot play any other Actions in between playing the Throne Roomed Action twice.

Regards
bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.