Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Good game to play with 10yr old daughter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Gedeon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been interested in D&D, and I even have the core rulebook from when the 4th ed was released, but never got around to playing it. The problem being not knowing anyone that plays, and feeling overwhelmed at where to start. I have a 10yr old daughter (soon to be 11), that spends time playing the game Wizards101 online often, and has similar interests.

I was browsing what new products Wizards have recently released, and stumbled upon Castle Ravenloft from the their site, and it caught my eye. From what I have read, it does not sound to be too overly complicated to get in a game. I was curious to hear if this would be a good recommendation for us to try out. I also noticed that they have released a new 'Red Box' Starter Set I may look into as well.

Thanks for any opinions, as they would be greatly appreciated...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably a fine game for a 11 year old assuming you and she aren't too overly sensitive about the whole vampire theme. Which I assume you aren't.

My friends and I play a lot of 4E DnD. We joke that Ravenloft is "4E-lite" when we play it. It is still fun though when there isn't time for a full 4E session. I fully expect that it will lose almost all of its replay value for us once we've played each encounter a couple times. But there are 13 encounters so it will probably have been worth the money.

Though I would caution hard core 4E players that they might find this a bit under whelming.

For you on the other hand, if you like the idea of DnD but never get time to play it, this game is probably a fine choice. Assuming you like the mechanics at all, it will probably have more replay value for you than it will for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just don't get the wrong idea. This is a Board Game with a D&D theme, it is not an RPG. You can of course apply role playing to pretty much anything, I'm just saying it's not really what this game is all about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone could play the much more cruelly fatal DungeonQuest (third edition) with their 4 yr old daughter, I don't see any reason why you couldn't play CR with your 10 yr old daughter.

You could run through a solo adventure first with her to show her how the game works before playing an adventure together.

There may only be 13 adventures in the box but the choice of characters and powers will make each game feel different. There will also be additional adventures released by Wizards, not to mention the multitude of custom material expected from users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
Just don't get the wrong idea. This is a Board Game with a D&D theme, it is not an RPG. You can of course apply role playing to pretty much anything, I'm just saying it's not really what this game is all about.

this is true. it is not an RPG. it just uses game mechanics that are vaguely similar to 4E DnD combat mechanics, but a lot simpler. That is what I meant by "4E-lite".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stejskal
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this game with my 4 your old daughter and she loves it!! I would try it once with your daughter and see how it goes from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes! Welcome to BGG!

Please forgive our enthusiasm over-riding our sense of courtesy. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I play it with my 11 year old daughter, and she likes it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Collingham
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 12yo and 9yo daughters helped me play solo for the first time yesterday and loved it. They have scheduled in a multiplayer game tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6 year old and I play it together solo and it's awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's perfect for you and your daughter. I have 2 boys, 11 and 8, and they love the game. Add in extra Healing Surges to extend the game and have a chance at winning.

See my session, "Defeating the Dracolich"

Maus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
My eight-year old daughter loves the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have been playing it with MY ten year old daughter. She always plays the Ranger because she love 'Careful Attack' and the exploring ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading this thread gives me a warm feeling. BGG is full of great dads!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Vanderzee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope so....picking it up from my FLGS in 2 hours and then cracking it open with my 8 year old son and 11 year old daughter. Castle Raveloft weekend here we come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 9 going on 10 year old daughter got scared playing the game and asked to quit. The monsters were just too scary for her. My 7 year old son however loved playing the game, as did my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When my kids were that age, they loved games like Talisman and DungeonQuest. If they were young again, and I was picking fantasy games to play with them today, I would choose Claustrophobia (2 player) and Defenders of the Realm (for 2-4 players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb
I play it with my 8 year old son, he loves it! My advice is just ignore the encounter card stuff. Traps every turn are not fun for kids (or me to be honest) and remembering to flip an encounter all the time is kind of burdensome anyways. Really fun game aside from that though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you don't flip an encounter every time.

you flip an encounter only when you either didn't explore a room, or the room you explored had a black triangle on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb
Klintus Fang wrote:
you don't flip an encounter every time.

you flip an encounter only when you either didn't explore a room, or the room you explored had a black triangle on it.

Yup I know thanks. I should have been more specific it "feels" like its all the time. Anyways the game is great fun for us now we have dropped encounter system!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.