4 Posts

Horus Heresy (2010)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Initiative and Imperial holdout victory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergei Rasskazov
Russia
flag msg tools
Hi, could somebody help me with the following problem? I'm not quite sure that we've played the situation correctly... here it is:

With his last order a Traitor player launched an onslaught on a last Imperial spaceport with 6 armies and the Emperor himself stationed in it. The Initiative marker moved onto "Imperial Victory" tile, but after some argueing we've decided to play on and resolve a battle (and to end the game after this battle). In a few iterations the Emperor was killed by Traitor forces and the game ended with Traitor victory. The question is - were we right to resolve that way? Shouldn't we rule that the game ends immediately as soon as attack order of Traitor player is played?

And what could happen if imperials retreated from this spaceport? Could it be a draw (Spaceport victory condition and Imperial victory condition would be both fulfilled at the same time)?

Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
◄Raphael Grand►
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Never tell me the odds
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Sergej,

as far as i remember the initiative marker has to be moved after
resolving orders/actions so i think you played it correctly.

I would resolve the retreat issue in this case as follows:
the rulebook says the victory conditions are immediate. As soon
as you move as traitor-attacker into the last spaceport the traitor
wins, this happens BEFORE the initiative marker is moved onto the
imperial holdout victory field (see above-->moving the marker as step 2
of the game round after resolving the actions/orders (step1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Action Step (step #1), you do whatever your chosen action does. In this case, you fight the combat. In Advance Initiative Step (step #2), you move the marker on the initiative track, according to your action (page 14). So in your scenario, the combat is carried out fully, if victory is achieved during it (Emperor's death in this case) or after it (Imps retreat and Traitors move units into the spaceport). If no victory is achieved during the Action Step, then the Imperials would've won in Advance Initiative Step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Rasskazov
Russia
flag msg tools
Thank you guys for your clarification! Sometimes the rules seem a little bit complex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.