Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets say I want to score a region where I am the sole occupant. I know that you are never forced to play the actions you place your APs on.

My guess is that if I choose a dominate action and then decide to follow through and score, whomever dominates that tile MUST play a dominance card?

I ask because I noticed that there are some cards that do negative things to all players (like disease I think) and sometimes the person who is forced to choose the card might be the one getting the worst end of the stick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 16: seems clear = "must"

"Finally, if there is a dominant animal on the tile being
scored that player must select and execute one face up
Dominance Card (if one is available). Any choices to be
made in the execution of a Dominance Card are made
by the player who chose it. After execution place the
card back in the box, permanently out of play."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep; in the rulebook I even underlined the word "must" for emphasis.

Adam could use another cup of coffee. cool

[play hint: sometimes you don't want to score a tile where somebody is dominant -- even if that someone is you -- so as to avoid a negative card effect]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad,

So if you put an action pawn down on Dominance, you can decline to score a tile, and thus not be required to have a card played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick Young wrote:
Chad,

So if you put an action pawn down on Dominance, you can decline to score a tile, and thus not be required to have a card played?

You can always decline an action. The other option would be to score a tile where no one has dominance, and thus not require a card to be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick Young wrote:

That's correct. Check out "Voluntary Actions" on page 9. The execution of a Dominance card is mandatory only if (1) a tile is actually scored and (2) an animal is dominant on that tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which, incidentally, is a reason sometimes to score a tile where you do not have the most species but are dominant, in order to control the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards are nasty but scoring is how you get the points. (sorry for being captain obvious). Yesterday when I played, there were plenty of times, when people scored titles they had dominance but not the most population just because the row of cards were so mean, they didn't want the effects to hurt them, and in the process, made scoring for someone else harder...or in one case impossible (wiped out the area down to one species).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.