Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to enjoy the game more 1 on 1. I feel like there's more control/player interaction. Or that it's easier to understand/track what other people are doing. But I am a relative noob to the game still. I use the keldon program but I don't own it yet. Not sure I will ever buy it as I doubt I'd ever play it with more than one of my friends anyhow as the learning curve was high for me. And usually I'm the one in my group who understands a game first.

What are other people's takes on preferred player count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like variety ;-) Solo is fun because it can be challenging, but it is a rather different animal. The 2 player (advanced) game is fun because you get to select two actions per turn and is pretty satisfying when you correctly anticipate your opponent's choices and pull off a four phase combo and you can attempt things like that you wouldnt do in a larger game because it is less riskier with two choices of your own. I like the 3 & 4 player game because you can get situations where everyone is doing a diff strategy and how that has to affect your strategy and also situations where everyone is going for the same strategy and its a race to see who does it better. I havent had the chance to play with 5 or 6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm being serious, 4p is a good balance of being able to see everyone's tableau within reason, but not get too analytical like the 2p games can get.

FYI, I do know of some who think RftG should only be a 2p game.

I don't mind any number really. Even 5 or 6p games, and theoretical 7p games. I've played much worse at 5p and 6p range. Alhambra for one. If it's that many players it can be tense b/c even with 6 action cards, you many only end up doing 1 or 2 different phases. Can't track all of your opponents' tableaux scores. Perhaps just track one or 2 players who you think may be the biggest threat. Just take a quick scan for key cards like Improved Log. Or certain situational ones where someone will get 4 cards on V, or have enough discounts/mil to III anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any number as long as everyone knows how to play. 3-4 is okay if 1-2 haven't played or haven't played in awhile. I usually play 2-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I still prefer San Juan to RFTG because it seems easier to understand your opponent at a glance. And I maybe I feel like there's more player interaction. But I also feel like I need the expansion to make it more interesting. It's very interesting though because I do like how any player can choose the same role in Race, but at the same time, I don't. I think that because you can't choose the same role in San Juan or Puerto Rico, there's more player interaction. If you feel that someone will really want a certain role, you can take it first. Or if you feel that someone just doesn't want a certain role to occur yet, you can take it.

It's still hard for me to picture in Race that because I am choosing a certain role, my opponents will benefit immensely. But, at the same time, it certainly is good balance that because I can build, so can someone else.

I dont know. Race is just a mystery to me for multiple reasons. That click of understanding just hasn't happened yet. I know there's a whole thread about this very topic. The levels of enlightenment of a RftG player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rftg is great with even one regular opponent. I'd still buy the game; there's a certain feel to the game that's lost when you play it on a computer. It's also easier to talk people into playing a physical game, as opposed to some card game on a computer.

2-4 are all fine with me; 5 and 6 get kinda messy. If you aren't playing against a group of all experts (and even sometimes if you are), you can pretty much just play trade every turn and do very well. The balance gets skewed pretty easily.

For online play, I very much prefer two player unless I am playing multiple people that are committed to playing fast until the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
I think I still prefer San Juan to RFTG because it seems easier to understand your opponent at a glance. And I maybe I feel like there's more player interaction. But I also feel like I need the expansion to make it more interesting. It's very interesting though because I do like how any player can choose the same role in Race, but at the same time, I don't. I think that because you can't choose the same role in San Juan or Puerto Rico, there's more player interaction. If you feel that someone will really want a certain role, you can take it first. Or if you feel that someone just doesn't want a certain role to occur yet, you can take it.

It's still hard for me to picture in Race that because I am choosing a certain role, my opponents will benefit immensely. But, at the same time, it certainly is good balance that because I can build, so can someone else.

I dont know. Race is just a mystery to me for multiple reasons. That click of understanding just hasn't happened yet. I know there's a whole thread about this very topic. The levels of enlightenment of a RftG player.

I've stopped playing San Juan for a long while. It became very "memorize and spit". My interest has been revitalized with the expansions (The New Buildings and The Events). I will NEVER play SJ without the expansions again. Luckily, it's not cruel to force newbies into SJ + the expansions. Those are still easier for them than RftG with just the base game. By comparison, I won't mind reverting to just exp #1 without goals for RftG, but if it means introducing more people to RftG, I'll do just the base set.

Yeah, the interaction is there. Choosing Explore can give someone enough cards to develop a 6-cost, or III an expensive/high-def world, or even do both. Just choosing II or III let's players get those in, and IV lets a player turn his goods into 4 VP without him doing anything. You really get to explore all of these intricacies across the full player range.

Stunna wrote:
Rftg is great with even one regular opponent. I'd still buy the game; there's a certain feel to the game that's lost when you play it on a computer. It's also easier to talk people into playing a physical game, as opposed to some card game on a computer.

2-4 are all fine with me; 5 and 6 get kinda messy. If you aren't playing against a group of all experts (and even sometimes if you are), you can pretty much just play trade every turn and do very well. The balance gets skewed pretty easily.

For online play, I very much prefer two player unless I am playing multiple people that are committed to playing fast until the end of the game.
Lately, it's been difficult to get people to play IRL. Especially with Dominion Prosperity and Thunderstone competing for table time, on top of the usuals. Online is more difficult since they don't do that, so I'm thankful to be able to play with Keldon's AI or a 5 to 6p IRL game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
What are other people's takes on preferred player count?

I made a poll about this a while back, here's the results (1p & 2p weren't options):

57% 2pa
24% 3p
19% 4p
00% 5/6p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin B.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought R4tG with *one* friend in mind. We've played a few 2p games (and I liked it very much, although we are both quite determined to win and therefore suffer from some AP), but it turned out that about 4-5 more people at my faculty got the virus, so a 3p game won't be uncommon. Still, after 2 games of more than 2p (one 3p and one 4p) I guess that the more people play the game, the more chaotic/random (though still fun!) it may become.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.