6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for tiles and terrain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sazuel Tassilo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi everyone, first post on BGG, I found you guys recently and have found a renewed interest in tabletop gaming as a result.

Anyway, I decided I wanted to try out a tabletop wargame of some kind, I kinda liked W40k as a kid, but never really understood it, and attempts at accessing it later in life haven't gone well, I don't like painting and modelling, is the bottom line, and that makes 40k players throw things at me.

Anyway, I found through BGG the game AT-43, which seems right up my street. prepainted, preassembled, etc etc. The issue I have is, I want to get some kind of environment set up, without having to attempt and fail horribly at DIY. I don't need anything amazingly extravagant, walls and tiles at the very least, something with elevation would be great, I'd like to be able to have a 3d element to the playfield. The only other requirement is that it be acceptable for the AT-43 theme, So anything loosely usable in a sci-fi setting.

What I'm asking really, is there a product, or products on the market that satisfy these conditions? I'm looking for something I can take out of a pack, assemble and use.

Anything you guys can recommend or suggest would be great

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but Heroscape has some great terrain that you don't need to paint.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Milner
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
I am not aware of a straight out of the box game which includes everything you want. The games which include terrain pieces also include figures which are not needed as you are buying AT43.

Here are some possibilities...

Doom and Space Hulk provide tiles and doors but not walls.

Litko Aero Systems do a nice space corridor system which comes unpainted but you could easily spray paint. Again, it is tiles and doors. They also do industrial towers and modern urban buildings.

http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/CTGY/ITS

There are several companies making ready painted terrain pieces covering basic terrain mats, hills, rivers and roads, that kind of thing.

You can also get a variety of ready painted buildings and unpainted buildings.

http://www.thewarstore.com/28mmterrainbuildings.html

Painting buildings isn't as difficult or time-consuming as you may think.

I made a whole bunch of Tau Habitat Domes for my Warhammer 40K setup just from cheap plastic Japanese miso soup bowls sprayed with textured paint.

I fancied mine up because I am a wargamer, but you can turn practically any piece of plastic like these soup bowls, food saver boxes and the like into nice terrain very quickly.

Run them through the dishwasher.
Undercoat with car primer spray paint.
Top coat with the textured spray paint.

There are printout and assemble card terrain pieces for SF.

http://www.ebblesminiatures.com/shop/index.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sazuel Tassilo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
greyelephant wrote:
Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but Heroscape has some great terrain that you don't need to paint.

Hope that helps!

I'll check out heroscape when I get a chance, although it may require buying a lot of unneccesaries just to get the tiles etc, thanks anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sazuel Tassilo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Kilkrazy wrote:
I am not aware of a straight out of the box game which includes everything you want. The games which include terrain pieces also include figures which are not needed as you are buying AT43.

Here are some possibilities...

Doom and Space Hulk provide tiles and doors but not walls.

Litko Aero Systems do a nice space corridor system which comes unpainted but you could easily spray paint. Again, it is tiles and doors. They also do industrial towers and modern urban buildings.

http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/CTGY/ITS

There are several companies making ready painted terrain pieces covering basic terrain mats, hills, rivers and roads, that kind of thing.

You can also get a variety of ready painted buildings and unpainted buildings.

http://www.thewarstore.com/28mmterrainbuildings.html

Painting buildings isn't as difficult or time-consuming as you may think.

I made a whole bunch of Tau Habitat Domes for my Warhammer 40K setup just from cheap plastic Japanese miso soup bowls sprayed with textured paint.

I fancied mine up because I am a wargamer, but you can turn practically any piece of plastic like these soup bowls, food saver boxes and the like into nice terrain very quickly.

Run them through the dishwasher.
Undercoat with car primer spray paint.
Top coat with the textured spray paint.

There are printout and assemble card terrain pieces for SF.

http://www.ebblesminiatures.com/shop/index.php

I'll check out those links, thank you. I didn't know painting terrain would be as easy as you say, if it is I may just give it a try, as a student I get through a lot of instant ramen and soups, lol

those games also have some neat looking stuff in them, They may be worth a purchase anyway.

Thanks again for all the suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Milner
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Don't use instant ramen bowls, they are made of expanded polystyrene and will melt under a lot of spray paints.

The bowls I used are cheap but strong polycarbonate plastic. They cost only £1.29 so I bought a dozen.

Other kinds of plastic like the high density polythene used for food savers are also okay for spray painting.

Loads of cheap throwaway plastic items can be used for SF terrain. I've made stuff out of deodorant bottles and caps, plastic cups, mouse mat holders, empty yoghurt pots, empty Chinese food takeaway boxes, all kinds of stuff. All stuff that can be got free.

The textured spray paint is fantastic for giving it a concrete like surface and a paint job in one go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.