Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Today was the second game day for the newly formed SEMI-Gamers (South-East MIchigan Gamers). The morning started out with a light snow, but the forecast called for heavier snow throughout the day. Despite the forecast, I ventured out on the streets around 11:30 for the 25 minute drive to Phoenix Rising (the local game store we have informally adopted as our meeting locale). The roads were relatively clear and I easily arrived in time for the noon opening.

The first to arrive was Larry (BGG:Quest22), who had not been able to attend our first outing. A quick introduction and welcome was in order. While this was in progress, Scott (BGG: QZHDAD) and 2 of his children, Zandra and Hanson, arrived carrying a large bag of games. Another quick introduction and pre-game warm up talk concluded. besides, I hadn't heard that anyone else would be able make the day, so it made sense to get the games rolling.

First up was TransAmerica. All 5 of us joined in. Larry was not familar with it, but after a very short intro was running along without a hitch. As is typical of this light game, it was pleasant, not particularly strategic, and consisted of lots of table talk. The game ran 3 rounds with Scott and Zandra "sharing the joy of victory".

Scott had brought a number of games and I had spied in the stack a copy of Age of Steam. As this is a title on my "to buy" list, I put in a bid for a play. Scott, a rail game fan, had no issue with that and Larry graciously agreed to appease my interest.

As AoS was a bit beyond Hanson, only Scott, Larry, Zandra, and I embarked on our next rail journey. We opted for the map of Germany. Scott did an excellent job teaching us 3 newbies the game in what is likely record time, especially considering some of the complexity of the game. A little over an hour later and about half way through the game, we took a short break for a trip to SubWay for some lunch. We ate quickly and jumped back into the game. The game had started close and ended even closer. Going into the final turn, Zandra had a small lead over Larry, followed by Scott, and I played the role of cabbose. Scott did not have great delivery options and his income for the turn reflected it. Zandra had an unclear (at the time) choice of blocking some points for Larry at the cost of a few of her own, or going for a maximum gain. After some discussion around the table, the decision was to block Larry. As it turned out, both she and Larry scored the same points for the turn and their order remained as it was. I had the opportunity for a max gain (two 5pt runs) which combined with a 2 pt assistance from Zandra and Larry ended up propelling me up to the front ranks. After adding the points for rail lines, I had taken the lead over Larry by 1 point, who in turn eeked ahead of Zandra by 1 point. Scott struggled into 4th, trailing by 18. Hindsight showed that the result would have been Zandra, Larry, Ken, then Scott, had Zandra not blocked Larry. The game lesson of the day? "Don't hurt another player at the expensive of helping yourself."

Having invested a long time in AoS, it was time to bring a very patient Hanson back into the fray. We fired up a game of Bohnhanza. The game played quickly and despite a noble effort by Hanson, Zandra shared another victory. This time with me.

Throughout the day, the snow had continued falling, but we were eager to continue with our games. Scott pulled out Traders of Genoa. None of us had played it, so Scott tackled the rules and gave us all the run down (except Hanson, who sat this one out as well). 30 minutes later we were up and running fine. It was definitely a learning game and several different strategies surfaced during the 8 rounds. Larry and I had a steady start while Scott appeared to struggle out of the gate. It was an illusion and Scott quickly began to take a commanding hold of the game. Zandra appeared to be coasting through the game, but like her dad, it was a ploy. We wrapped up the game with a solid victory for Scott and a very solid play by Zandra.

The games had finished, so it was out into the cold and the 6 or so inches of snow that had piled up on the cars during day. I skidded my way home while fond thoughts of games flickered in my mind reminding me it was all worth it (hopefully the others had easier drives).

All-in-all, it was another great game day and hopefully enjoyed by all. For those that missed out this time, fear not. The next SEMI-Gamers Game Day is but a mere 2 weeks away.

SEMI-Gamers Game Day #3
Date: Sunday, 6-March-05
Time: Noon to 7-ish
Loc: Phoenix Rising, Waterford, MI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say, I'm impressed by Hanson's patience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Barry
United States
Rochester Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snow Day
A very fine day of games, followed by a long trip home in the deep snow, only to be greeted by an even larger pile of snow in the drive. A guess shoveling the drive is a nice way to unwind and absorb a day of new games and kick yourself a few times over some plays that you made, but all in all a grand time was had and I am very much looking forward to the next game day.

Hopefully I will be able to bring my son along to help Hanson endure the 'dry' spells with a little side gaming of their own

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report! I won't be able to join y'all again on the 6th (I'll be out of town). But someday, I'm going to make it up to Waterford for one of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patience is in the eye of the beholder
I think he was behaving fairly well because he was angling for some Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

He does do pretty well for seven, but another six or seven year old will help. Last time, he played Can't Stop and Carcassone with Nick (Joe's son) and did have a better time.

It was again a fun time! Age of Steam is still a game that I want to play, but I can't seem to do it well. I've identified my problem (no long runs at the end) and can coach others to avoid it, but can't seem to execute. surprise I guess when you can't do, you teach?

Traders of Genoa was fun and I have one in shrink to trade, but I will be keeping my played copy. A touch on the long side, but it didn't "feel" long. Never squander the start tower anywhere chits, though!

Looking forward to next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ersatz Ursatz
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sound like you guys had a great time; I'm sorry I couldn't make it. Unfortunately, the next one you have scheduled is at the tail end of my spring break, so I'm going to be out of town then, too. yuk

But don't count me out! I had a lot of fun last time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.