Subject: Shock Attacks - What exactly is a Shock Attack? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
k b
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I'm starting to go over the rules for Men of Iron. There is something called shock resolution or shock attack. What is that exactly? Is that like shock and awe? ... is it meant to replicate the uncertainly of what would happen when men actually see the battle going on and potentially loose it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Shock Attacks
It's just Men of Iron's term for close combat fighting (melee). It's called Shock because generally it's the initial approach to combat that determines the result historically -- either the defender stands and receives the attack, or they falter and flee or get cut down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually a commonly used military term, especially in regard to charges by heavy cavalry. There is a Wikipedia entry for Shock Tactics .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In game terms, I think of the shock attack as a more powerful attack than the charge; look over the CRTs and you'll see the benefits of achieving a shock attack over a regular charge.

Have fun with the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
Actually, Shock combat is the "regular" combat and Charge is the heavy hitter.

In Men of Iron, Shock combat refers to hand-to-hand combat whilst Charge refers to actual cavalry charges.

It is a continuation of terminology from the desginer's Great Battles of History series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, the idea that heavy cavalry might somehow deliver more shock than it could by charging had me baffled. I've never seen this game; my prior post was intended only as a general comment on word usage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k b
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Ah - it is becoming very clear to me. Thank you all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.