Popular Tags: [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
It has been suggested on another thread that it might be interesting to provide different sets of hit counters for each nationality, and it appears that, at least for the upcoming Guadalcanal, this will be part of the design.

This seems like a great idea in general: it's a simple and straightforward way to introduce a lot of detail about the capabilities and doctrines of different combatants at almost no cost in game weight (as the hit counter design already cleverly does for simulating the variety of damage effects).

So: How about sets of nationality- or scenario- or period-based hit counters as mini-expansions. They seem like something that would be pretty simple to develop and produce (not even much artwork is required), and I for one, would buy them all. Anyone else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Soutter
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Look, you've got nothing to say and you're saying it too loudly. So...
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
It has been suggested on another thread that it might be interesting to provide different sets of hit counters for each nationality, and it appears that, at least for the upcoming Guadalcanal, this will be part of the design.

Anyone else?

For sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Planet
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The implementation of different hit markers for different forces in Guadalcanal sounds like a great idea, and if it works well I'd love to see them in upcoming products too.

However, in my opinion the hit counter mix(s) for each game should be specifically balanced for it's own firefights, and be included in the box. I'm not so sure about having separate sets for X nationality/scenario/period that would work across multiple CoH products going forward. I would like to see each CoH core box being as unique and different as it's setting, instead of just providing interchangable game components in some kind of modular system.

That being said if someone made some variant hit counters for Russians and Germans for AtB and SoS that might be interesting to try, or perhaps if another eastern front expansion is made someday they could be included along with all the other goodies. It's a shame this idea wasn't around/considered when designing Price of Honour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
speltor wrote:
However, in my opinion the hit counter mix(s) for each game should be specifically balanced for it's own firefights...

That's part of the point: "sets of nationality- or scenario- or period-based hit counters".

speltor wrote:
...and be included in the box.

They haven't in past games, which is why they'd have to be made available as mini-expansions for those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I follow you now. As this was posted under the CoH family forums and the original post did not mention these hit counter mini-expansions as replacements for the ones in AtB and SoS specifically I read this as a general suggestion for the entire series including forthcoming games, and replied as such.

Again, if someone were to make variant Russian/German/Polish early/mid WW2 hit counters for the existing games or Academy included replacements in some future eastern front expansion along with additional firefights, maps, etc. that would be really cool. But I would rather see a smaller company like Academy focus more on putting out great new products as opposed to releasing small additions to existing ones if given the choice between the two. I'm guessing if force specific hit counters work well in Guadalcanal they will be included in any new products where they would enrich the gaming experience, and I really wouldn't miss them that much in the old games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
speltor wrote:
But I would rather see a smaller company like Academy focus more on putting out great new products as opposed to releasing small additions to existing ones if given the choice between the two.

That depends on what they could sell them for. Mini-expansions are profitable, and I bet most owners of the older games that lacked game-tuned sets of hit counters would view them as essential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong, I am excited about the idea of these counters being used in Guadalcanal if they make it into the final product (Dean states in the thread linked in the OP that they are just now beginning to playtest them). It's just another thing that makes me look forward to this new product.

This excitement does carry over for me into thinking "what if" the existing games had different hit counters also- wouldn't that have been cool. But it might be jumping the gun a little bit to suggest having these as paid expansions to AtB and SoS. First of all, how many sets are we talking about? You might need different sets for Germans and Russians for both original boxes as each represents the tide turning from Barbarossa to Citadel. And you'd need a Polish set, making potentially 5 sets of hit markers. These would expand 3 different product skus, so would you market them all as one or separately? A lot of things to be thought through.

And how much will these as of yet untried hit counter expansions really add to these early games compared to their potential impact for the drastically different forces found in the Guadalcanal firefights? Not every new innovation can or should be added into the previous games. The hit counters found in the orignal games aren't flawed, they were balanced using the system and firefights as they were when released.

I've said before in another thread that I'll probably buy whatever boxes these guys put out. Reasonably priced or not. But my hope would be to have Academy focus on creating more new games with exciting new features to enjoy. My apologies if any of this sounds antagonistic Aldaron as I respect your ideas and contributions on this website, I'm just not sold on the mini expansion idea myself yet.

edit: grammar goes out the window when ranting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
speltor wrote:
Don't get me wrong...

No problem.

speltor wrote:
I've said before in another thread that I'll probably buy whatever boxes these guys put out. Reasonably priced or not.

That's my point: I expect hit counter min-expansions would be very profitable products, and everyone will buy all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.