I enjoy games about Stalingrad
Pocket Stalingrad Example of play:
Turn 1: Setup one Fortification marker in Area #5
Soviet Player: Steps 1-4
1. Reinforcement Phase: Soviet Player adds 2 units to Soviet Area #6 (Volga Crossing)
2. Roll Phase: The first dice roll ends up like so;
Unit Dice: 1,2,3,4,6; Tactics Die: 5 (Fort +1cmd); Command Die: 6; Ratt Die: 6 (unit z)
The Soviet player keeps the Command(Cmd) die, as it’s hard to beat a 6, the Ratt Die is also the best you can really get at this point so keeps it as well. The Tactics die is Fortifications and +1 Cmd. Not bad, the cover of fortifications is good turn one it means the Germans will need something extra to do damage, so they keep that. As far as unit dice go, it can be good to spread out as the Soviets and threaten with Volga infiltration, but ‘night’ is not the tactic for the turn so it’s likely the Volga units might just die. Despite that, the soviet player keeps a 6 and puts a unit in the Volga, and the 4, and puts a unit in Central Stalingrad to threaten the second best area.
Second Roll: Unit Dice (3,5,6). Another Volga unit is tempting but they want units in the Tractor Factory so they keep the 5, and hope to roll more.
Third roll: 2 unit dice (3,5). They get another 5 and put another unit in tractor factory.
Fourth roll: the last Unit die for a (3), which they must keep.
3. Dice Resolution: The Soviets build 3 forts, in Areas 1, 3, and 4. With the bonus command they end up spending a net of 2, with 4 remaining Cmd. They also place a Unit in Area Z.
4. Infiltration: The Soviet Player could infiltrate his 3 units in Area #6 at this time, (4.2) and this is one of those times it might be good to do so given he has fortifications on the table. The Forts lessen air damage, so sometimes the Soviet will lose flexibility later to save some damage now. Knowing this the Soviet wants more flexibility and waits till the German infiltration step. He did not have a ‘Deploy’ tactic so cannot move the unit out of Area Z.
German Player: Steps 1-4
1. Reinforcement Phase: German places one unit in their Area #6 (Gumrak Airfield)
2. Roll Phase: Unit Dice (1,3,4,4,5); Tactics (3) [Pioneers]; Command (5); Ratt (6) [unit z]
Given the Soviet player built forts, it’s probably a good idea to start with pioneers, so he keeps the Tactics die of 3. The Ratt die is the extra unit so it stays as well. Command 5 is pretty good too so that is kept. For unit dice the German favors getting into the bigger areas today so keeps the 5 and 3 to counter initial Soviet placement and the two 4’s as well. Note: they must keep both 4’s if they wants to keep any, they cannot just take one 4.
This leaves them with just one unit die left.
Second Roll: Unit Dice(1) and must be kept as it is the only die.
3. Die Resolution Phase: The German places one unit in Area Z.
4. Infiltration Phase: The German Player now gets to attack with his ‘Air’ units. (4.1) Note: this can also represent other artillery, support, tanks, etc. but has been simplified. He spends one command and kills one Soviet unit in Soviet Area #6 (Volga Crossing). (4 cmd left)
4.2 The Soviet player now moves both his remaining units in their Area #6 to Area #1 by spending 2 Cmd(4 left).
4.3 The German did not have a ‘Deploy’ Tactic so cannot move their unit out of Area Z.
Now begins the mutual phases.
5. Combat Phase:
The German player spends his remaining 4 command and activates Pioneers in Areas #1,3,4, and 5. Note he must have a unit present in each one. No units are killed as each area has a fortification, which is eliminated. (0 cmd left).
Combat attrition now occurs in each area, except Z. The German has no cmd to use and the Soviet does not want to fight there. One unit each is lost in Areas #1,3,4,5.
6. Victory Phase: (No Guards Tactic) Final Tally: Area #1 (1 Soviet), #4 (1 German), #5 (1 Soviet), Z (1 each). No areas are captured yet.
Soviet Player (1-4)
1. Reinf.Ph.: 2 Units in Volga Crossing #6
2. Roll Ph.: Unit Dice (1,3,4,4,4); Tactics (4) [Nite+Arty]; Cmd (1); Ratt (4)
The Soviet player keeps the tactics die to lessen further air damage and try for a grab at a capture with artillery. They also keep the three 4’s, and the 1 for unit dice.
Second Roll: Unit Dice (3); Cmd (2); Ratt (2). They keep the 3 value unit die.
Third Roll: Ratt (3) [Ratze!]; Cmd (1). No luck on cmd yet, so they keep the Ratt die and try once more.
Last Roll: Cmd (4) not the best, but not terrible, they have to keep it.
3. Resolve Dice: The ‘Night’ Token is placed near the German Area #6 to indicate Night rules are in play this turn.
4. Infiltration: No air till German turn. The Soviet player opts out of putting Volga units in now. Skip to 4.3 ‘Ratze!’ and Deploy. The Soviet player picks a German unit from Area #4 and puts it in Area Z. The German then takes a Soviet unit and places it also from #4 to Area Z. There is no Deploy tactic for the Soviet so the unit will remain there.
German Player (1-4)
1, Reinf. Ph: 1 Unit to #6 Gumrak Airfield.
2. Roll Ph: Unit Dice (1,1,1,2,6); Tactics (3); Cmd (4); Ratt (2). The only dice the German player chooses to keep from this roll is the #6 unit die.
Second Roll: Unit Dice(2,3,4,6); Tactics (6)[Sturm+Arty]; Cmd(6); Ratt(5). The German player likes the roll and keeps everything except the 2 and 3 Unit Dice.
Third Roll: Unit Dice (5,5). The German player keeps both 5’s.
3. Resolve Dice: Nothing outside of placing the units.
4.1 German Air; The German spends 4 Command, as ‘Night’ is in play. This will normally be 3 kills. The Soviet player responds with 2 cmd (hoping to save cmd to move at least one of the Volga units out). This reduces the Air kills to one. The German applies the kill to Area #5. Because he has the sturm+Arty tactic (6), he can then move 4 units out of Area #6. ( Night reduced the total kills but he still spent 4 cmd). He puts one of the units into Area #1, and the other 3 in Area #5.
4.2 The Soviet Player spends his 2 cmd and moves the 2 volga units into Area #4 (they could go to different areas but he wants to capture the area).
4.3 No Ratze or Deploy
Final Tally before combat: Area #1 (2 Soviet/ 1 German), #2 (-), #3(1 Sov), #4(4 Sov/1 Ger), #5 (5 Ger), Z (2 each).
5. Combat Phase: The German spends a cmd to move the Artillery Marker to Area #1. Although the Soviet player had the tactic as well, he has no cmd and cannot respond to move the marker. No combat attrition will occur in The Grain Elevator. Normally the 2 Soviet Units would be enough to take it, but the card special rules indicate no capture can occur with enemy units present. The German unit prevents capture and Area #1 holds another turn.
Area #4 kills one unit each. The German player spends one cmd to fight in Area Z with both sides eliminating each other completely. Usually the Soviet benefits from units there and the German has less chance to Deploy out, they feel the need to kill them now.
6. Victory Phase: No Guards. Area #1 (2 Sov,1 Ger) +Arty [holds], Area #2 (-), Area #3 (1 Sov), Area #4 (3 Sov) Captured by Soviets, Area #5 (5 Ger) Captured by Germans. Area Z (-). One location each, with the Germans holding the bigger area in VPs.
Soviet Player (1-4)
1. Reinf. Ph.: 2 Units #6 Volga Crossing.
2. Roll Dice: Unit Dice(1,4,5,5,5); Tactics(3); Cmd(3); Ratt(3). Sure enough the Soviets would have liked to Deploy those 2 units and used artillery, better luck next time. The only roll they will keep is the Unit Die #1.
Second Roll: Units (1,1,5,6); Tactics(6)[Deploy+Guards]; Cmd(2); Ratt (3)[Ratze!]. Not wanting to overdo Area #1, the Soviet keeps the #6 Unit Die for Volga Flexibility. The Tactics die (6) [Deploy + Guards] is a keeper , and they like the Ratt roll to muck with the Germans.
Third Roll: Units (1,5,6); Cmd(6). Enough for Volga, they just keep the Cmd (6) roll.
Fourth Roll: Units (1,2,5). Fate is telling the Soviet to keep dice that work at all, so they keep the #1 and #2 unit dice.
Fifth Roll: Unit Dice (4). Ouch, unusable as Area #4 is captured. This one is wasted.
3. Resolve Dice: The Soviet puts one unit in Area Z (Guards).
4. Infiltration: The Soviet resolves the Ratze! event first and moves a German unit from Area #1 to Area Z. The German responds by moving the Soviet unit from Area #3 to Z.
The Soviet then resolves his ‘Deploy’ Tactic and moves one of the units in Z to Area #2. He leaves one behind to take advantage of the Guard infiltration at the end of the turn.
Current Area Tally: Area #1 (4 Sov)+ Arty. Area #2 (2 Sov). Area Z (1 Sov), Volga #6 ( 3 Sov).
German Player (1-4)
1 Reinf. Ph.: 1 Unit to #6 Gumrak Airfield.
2 Roll Dice: Unit Dice (1,1,2,4,6); Tactics(4); Cmd(2), Ratt(5)[none]. It might be wiser to just hand over Area #1 and fight for the others. Although one unit will hold it with the Artillery, the German has other plans. They keep the #2 and #6 unit dice, and the decent Ratt die (5).
Second Roll: Unit Dice (2,3,4); Tactics(4); Cmd(1). Low cmd, and Sturm not fantastic with one unit there, they keep the useful Unit Dice #2 and #3.
Third Roll: Unit Dice (5,6); Tactics(3); Cmd(2). The extra Air unit will be useful now, but better tactics and command would help, they only keep Unit die #6.
Fourth Roll: Unit Dice(2); Tactics(2); Cmd(6). Good command roll is kept, and hoping for decent unit and tactics.
Fifth Roll: Unit Dice(3); Tactics(6)[Sturm+Arty]. This time the Germans will stick with Sturm+Arty and the unit die is usable, they keep both.
4.1 German Air; without ‘Night’ the Germans spend 4 of 6 cmd to inflict 3 air kills and sturm. All 3 kills are applied to Soviet #6 and all units in the Volga are ‘sunk’. 2 German units then Sturm out to Area #2, and the other goes to Area #3.
4.2 No units left in the Volga
4.3 No ‘Ratze!’ or ‘Deploy’.
Current Area Tally: Area #1(4 Soviet) +Arty, Area #2 (2 Soviet, 4 German), Area #3 (3 German), Z (1 each).
5. Combat Phase: The German player has the Artillery Tactic, so spends a command to move the Artillery Marker to Area #2.(Leaving them with 1 cmd) The Soviets cannot respond with their 6 cmd as they do not have the tactic this turn. The German player spends one cmd (down to zero)to initiate combat attrition in Area Z, killing the lone German and the Soviet Guard. Ouch, the Soviet player sadly realizes moving the German unit in there with Ratze! Was not the best idea.
No other combat attrition occurs as the Artillery prevents it in Area #2 and the other areas have sole ownership.
6. Victory Phase: Area #1 (4 Soviet); captured by Soviets. Area #2 (2 Soviet, 4 German) +Arty; captured by Germans as they have the required number of units (3) and more than the Soviet player. Area #3 (3 German); captured by the Germans.
With 3 Areas the Germans win an immediate victory. The Soviets regret that the Guards unit would have caused a tie in the Artillery torn Area #2 had it survived the sewers, and grumbles that the German rolled 6 Command, exactly enough to do the job.
Such is life in Stalingrad.
Hey David ~ Congratulations on your new game design! Keep 'em comin'!
What is the 3 area captured by Germans at the end of turn 3? Area #2 and area #3 is ok, but what is the 3rd one? (I just made a version of this game and try to understand hoe to play with it.)
I enjoy games about Stalingrad
Area #5 "dzezhinsky Tractor Factory" was captured by the Germans on turn 2 for a total of 3 areas out of 5. That is a win.
There are a couple of errors in this example of play that will be corrected shortly, one of which is a soviet unit in area 5 turned into a German unit on turn 2 and an extra German unit in area 6 on turn 3.
The new version coming soon has slightly modified rules and tactics cards. So look forward to. Small changes and an updated example of play.