Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: potsm...bleh rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Furlong
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
I was anticipating Pirates of the Spanish Main for the past couple weeks. When I finally recieved it, I was underwhelmed play. I mean I was in for a real badass PIRATE game not a stupid treasure race. I mean I think this game could have a lot more depth than just the simple battles that occur.

The game needs a lot more to have the pirate name in it. And for the ships, no offcial wind factor, no pillaging towns, nothing. The game could have been something so much better and complex, but all it is is a simple treasure hunt betweem several factions. I might give it another shot sometime, but for now I'm sticking to heroscape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
lots of people agree
Well, if I had a 'copy' of this, then I'd SEE about 'working' on this, but I don't! Someone else such as 'Scrib', has been doing just that so contact HIM about this. Best regards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrhI'm working on a Winds of War type reworking, with simultaneous firing and gold coins acquired are good for purchasing repairs, crew, more ships...rather than used as a victory condition. Only victory: sinking the other
team(s). arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Quote:
arrrhI'm working on a Winds of War type reworking, with simultaneous firing and gold coins acquired are good for purchasing repairs, crew, more ships...rather than used as a victory condition. Only victory: sinking the other
team(s). arrrh

That would be a naval game, not a pirate game. Pirates did not have "enemies" which they cared to sink -- they had targets they intended to rob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Swart
United States
Moscow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That depends on your definition.
While all pirates robbed, they did attack ships. Really the buried treasure part of the game is kind of lame. Pirates didn't look for buried treasure, they buried it themselves to dig up later. The whole island, treasure thing is mostly a myth.

there were different kinds of pirates, from the true black hearted beast that attacked anything, to privateers that only attacked ships of the nation they were at war with.

What I getting at is there were four main ways to rob for gold by a pirate. One, attack merchant ships, attack the spanish gold fleet(picking of strays), attack the spanish gold trains on land in central america, and attack ports and cities. Privateers also had another way, to attack pirates ships for the bounty on thier hides. So, yes pirates would attack pirates if they thought it mean't getting richer.

Know your history, can make your games more entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hicks
Canada
Sundridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game requires some tweaking. With the inclusion of wind rules, it really did turn it into a better game.

It's not WizKids style to make something complicated. "Complicated" is not their demographic.

We have definitely tweaked a few of the rules, and it's now a very enjoyable game.

Just takes some effort to make it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is wimpy.

If I wanted to figure all the house rules and cobble togetehr a 'fun' game, I'd just design the thing from scratch myself.

HUGE disappointment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree
I agree with Paul and Sean. Major dissapointment.

At least with thier other games... they hit the mark with a theme if not mechanics...

This game is only true to theme in that its got the ships and islands, not to mention its utter lack of interesting mechanics, or any hint of play-testing.

Plus in all thier other games the goal is to attack you enemy.... not play keep away.

Ask your self... does this feel like a Mike Selinker or James Earnest game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hey..
Did anyone see that Pirate movie a summers ago...

...the one were you got to watch them run from privateers and search for buried treasure....

....I didn't either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.