Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: A game even I find offensive rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The people who know me might be shocked that there is a game out there that I find offensive (unless it involves Barney the purple dinosaur).

I went to my favourite game store on the weekend to look at the new games and was quite surprised to see something called Pimp: The Backhanding. I picked it up to look at because I have a pretty strange sense of humour and enjoy other slightly twisted games like Lunch Money and Gloom.

The game seems to revolve entirely around recruiting whores and then beating them up if they don't perform.

I understand that it is supposed to be funny, but as a woman I do find this humour somewhat degrading. The recruiting thing is amusing and there is at least one other game that involves this - but when did beating women become funny?

I hesitate to post the link to the game here because I don't want to see it as a top 50 game. But here goes
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15064

Needless to say I did not buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jennifer,

Someone else posted a link to this a while ago and I took a look at the sample cards. Terrible concept. I couldn't find any redeeming qualities of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason M. Brown
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Couldn't agree more...
...and it takes a lot to offend me. I have to say that this is a totally hideous concept for a game, and that anyone would want to play it is just beyond me. As someone with firsthand experience of domestic violence, I abhor this attempt at turning something really horrific into a humourous game. Disgraceful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
If it has the gameplay and thematic consistency to back up hilarious lines like "you are learning young asshopper" then I am all for it. Like people on the planet, it takes all kinds in my opinion.

Now if the gameplay sucks, I reserve the right to to use any or all of these later:

gulp yuk soblue shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But is it really any suprise??? After all video games have this type of junk out there too... (Do I even need to list examples?)

Soon they will have to have Maturity ratings on Boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
This crap is from Arthaus (speak: White Wolf)???? What went wrong with those guys? Last time I looked, they made fantastic Ravenloft-Supplement for D&D and next I see is this bull****? zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fishhaid
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi there, Face here!
mbmbmbmbmb
yuk

I didn't like the concept of Lunch Money, so I won't even click on the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning Label
There was a warning label on the side not to sell to underage people, of course it did not specify what age. The store owner said underage of what, driving, drinking, voting? Of course on the back it says that it is a game for the whole family - so if you are say 14 you can't buy it but you can play it if your dad buys it.

The box also tells people not to litter, at least they are environmentally concious. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah, well.
Apparently inspired by Rap music - rife with woman beating, pimping, 'Ho slapping, cop shooting, drug taking and other of the wonderful pleasures of urban, suburban and even semi-rural life in the USA, Europe and probably Asia. At least if you have the money for Ho's, pistols, drugs, parties and fine threads.

These folks get prime time, win Grammies, advertise Pepsi and about everything else, are exposed on an almost non-stop basis to either your kids, your relatives kids and the kids who live next door.

I fail to understand how something as minor and doomed to failure as a silly game could even cause a blip on anyone's radar. Just my viewpoint Jennifer, personally I'd probably have never given it a 2nd thought because of it's lack of appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I fail to understand how something as minor and doomed to failure as a silly game could even cause a blip on anyone's radar. Just my viewpoint Jennifer, personally I'd probably have never given it a 2nd thought because of it's lack of appeal.

Because here, every game is on our radar. And we have an over-inflated sense of how important card and board games are in the day-to-day world

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto
Exactly Mark - every new game we come accross must be examined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Every day, the value of a human life gets a little bit cheaper.

That's because the total value of all human lives never changes, but the total number of human lives continually increases...

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I don't own the game, but I'm thinking about buying it just for a good chuckle.

Quote:
but when did beating women become funny?

Not beating women... beating fictional cartoon hookers with fictional cartoon pimps. And not all the pimps are men, so this isn't just men beating on women.

All over their site they have this disclaimer:

Please note: Arthaus Games does not condone or support the illegal sex trade industry. Pimp is a fictional game about the humorous stereotypes created by television and film and is in no way representational of the true horrors of the sex trade. If you would like more information on organizations focused on Women’s Rights and support groups, please visit : http://www.amnestyusa.org/women/ or any of the many organizations providing help for women around the world.

Quote:
Of course on the back it says that it is a game for the whole family

Um... the back of the box says, ".. a fun-filled game for the whole family, assuming your family is amused by drugs, violence and prostitution." I can see the joke in that statement but it seems you can't or are just choosing to mis-quote the line to give yourself more ammo.

I actually find this game to be more amusing than Lunch Money, which I think people are pretty twisted if they like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Value of human life going down? Man, some of you guys are taking this awfully hard! I guess all the piracy/war games laced with any degree of humor must completely floor you.

Comparing pattern domestic abuse to cartoon pimps slapping cartoon whores... seems a bit of a stretch to me... like comparing animal mistreatment and abuse to Yosemite Sam chasing Bugs with an axe and riding his horse into the ground...

My checklist:

Am I likely to buy a game like the one being discussed? Nah. Am I likely to play it if asked? Sure, but they owe me one if it sucks. Will I play it a second time if I didn't enjoy it? Nope. Would I play a game with actual pictures or realistic representations of domestically abused men or women? No. Would I play a game with caricature depictions of women being abused? No. Do I look for humor in domestic abuse? No. Could humor be found in domestic abuse? Humor can be found anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call me a wet blanket, but this whole pimp and ho's hip-hop culture really iritates me. It is ridiculously stupid and I can't believe all how this crap is possible.

Just a few minutes ago before my roomate left, he was listening to a song called "girl shake your ass"

No joke.

I can't wait for this fad to pass.

I sure hope this isn't what my generation will be associated with for years to come, but I have a feeling it will.

*why couldn't I have been born some other time* cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Uhhh, Ian?
he was listening to a song called "girl shake your ass"

Dude. That was the greatest pick-up line ever in the late 60's and early 70's. I guess it's come full circle now. Sigh. I still like the concept, though being over 50 it's unlikely I'll ever say it again in public.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Relevance
It is interesting to me that a cartoony game where players take on the role of a pimp draws this much attention, but many gamers are happy to take on roles which involve killing or conquering, and few bat an eyelash.

Disclaimer: I include myself in the "many gamers" indicated above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warfare/pimping
Quote:
It is interesting to me that a cartoony game where players take on the role of a pimp draws this much attention, but many gamers are happy to take on roles which involve killing or conquering, and few bat an eyelash.

I think this is because many (though certainly not all) of us believe warfare to be justifiable in some contexts, but not prostitution (and backhanding your hos.)

Now that I've said that, I'm sure someone will work out a situation in which prostitution would be the least of all possible evils, BUT it would have to be a pretty twisted situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made it clear many times how I will not play games like "Memoir '44", where the lost life of my grandfather is represented by a plastic figure.

I find the humorous and fictional approach of Pimp to be much less offensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Now that I've said that, I'm sure someone will work out a situation in which prostitution would be the least of all possible evils, BUT it would have to be a pretty twisted situation.

You're the one assuming prostitution is evil. Just because something is legal or illegal doesn't mean it's right or wrong. (And prostitution is legal in Nevada) You have two consenting adult making a mutual agreement on a service that doesn't involve anyone else. Take the statement "I'm willing to for $20." If you put in "have sex with you" then it's evil but if you put in "cut your hair" then it's ok?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ciaramella
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
Quote:
Take the statement "I'm willing to for $20." If you put in "have sex with you" then it's evil but if you put in "cut your hair" then it's ok?

I agree 100%. While hitting anyone, not just a woman is a bad thing, IMO there is nothing wrong with paying for some oo-la-la (not that I ever have, or would ever have to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excuse me, but many people here (including me) find games with killing fun and other things, that would give me the total horror in real life. So I can´t see why it can´t be fun to beat up a couple of b*tch*s in a game devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Game Company X is well within their rights to publish a game called "Pimp: The Backhanding".

2. We, the gaming public, are well within our rights to purchase said game, should we find it entertaining, intriguing, enlightening, erotic, or whatever.

3. Some of us will be offended by said game, while others will not, as was the case with "Up Against The Wall Motherfucker", "Puerto Rico", and hell - probably even "Carcassone" (it does have the letters "ass" in it).

4. This is the second-stupidest idea for a game I have ever heard of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, okay, okay.

What's the first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
but may have very close contact with abused women and children. Thus their opinion will be the exact opposite of yours. If you believe your opinion is valid and fair (and I think it is), then you must also accept that the exact opposite opinion is every bit as valid and every bit as fair.

No.

But I will not speak further of this in a public forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.