Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Another Trip to the Mall... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time I went to the mall, it was to spend Disney Store gift cards for the kids, and it ended with my wife picking out Puerto Rico as a bonus.

This time I didn't walk out of the mall with my wife happily opening a new box of Tigris and Euphrates. Not that we could have - the Old Game Store still has no copies in stock. Is it out of print or something?

Actually I had the kids for 2 1/2 hours while wife got her hair done, so we wandered around, had lunch, slipped into the game store so dad could browse for a while...

But no games. NONE! Because after I got LOTR shipped to me, my wife said, "No more games - we haven't even played Puerto Rico yet." Which is true - much to both our sadness.

I did notice a couple of curious things though. In the back corner of the store was a small section of seeming odds and ends - games that had been opened and returned, some beat up copies of games at a discount, etc. Basically, stuff that didn't belong anywhere else.

Gracing the top shelf of this section was a copy of CardChess. No kidding, I thought... wonder how much... $39.95?????????

Maybe they can't do much about the pricing - but they sure knew the proper place for this box of kindling.

I also saw that the store was putting on a big push for Blokus, as the game was displayed prominently everywhere and the cashier was playing a game with someone in the middle of the store.

In the end we went down to KB Toys, which apparently is closing shop at the mall, as they were having a sale on everything in the store. So my two little ones picked out "Finding Nemo" and couldn't resist "Mouse Trap." I figured that my wife had meant "no more games for you" as opposed to "no more games at all" so a couple of kiddie games wouldn't count... besides the kids will have a lot of fun breaking all the pieces in Mouse Trap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I also saw that the store was putting on a big push for Blokus, as the game was displayed prominently everywhere and the cashier was playing a game with someone in the middle of the store.

Weird. I have been into 2 game stores lately, and both had Blokus displayed prominently. It hit me as strange, and now you point this out. Is it a concerted marketing effort, or something more cosmic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing too terribly cosmic about it. It's an easy game to explain, it's relatively cheap, and it's very pretty. Not to mention the fact that it was hard to find around Christmas so a lot of people were asking about it, so it's got some "hype".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus
Same with a game store here in town about a month ago. Blokus was out front, with PR, Settlers, and some of the newest RGG's.

I had to grab Blokus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Swart
United States
Moscow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Card Chess as a tax deduction?
Maybe that 39.95 price tag for cardchess, was what the store was willing to pay you. Call it a tax deduction, after all, at the end of each year they would have to claim it and be taxed as part of thier inventory, so pay you to take it would be a bargain.

Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Blokus is one of those really good,slightly under the radar second tier games. Almost everyone who tries it likes it.It's simple,has some decent depth and looks nice.

It doesn't get a whole lot of recognition...certainly not like the big boys get...PR,E&T,PoF, El Grande etc... but I bet Blokus outsells some of the big box games by quite a wide margin.

I think it's kind of the equivalent of a "sleeper movie"...good quality and highly thought of but not really talked about that often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.