Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
55 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: My Generation - OT: passings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
In another thread today there was much ado about a card game dealing with Pimps backhanding Ho's and the resultant differing of opinions about the purient content of games like this. Then Janice (nextinline) commented about my "conservative" values. The italics were hers, showing that people from Oklahoma are neither dumb nor incapable of subtlety.

The whole Pimp/Ho thing got me thinking about how folks in their 50's (my generation) are viewed by Geeks in their 20's and 30's. I'm thinking most younger Geeks are way too literal and way too dismissive of the experiences, backgrounds and yes, even the "real" politics or idealogy of their elder Geeks.

So I thought I'd pass along to ya'll links to two people who are no longer with us, both of whom I admired very much. Neither one was a Game Geek and some of you out there (probably Yankees and other assorted Northerners and Canadians) might be suprised that I am a fan of these two dudes. Too bad they're gone, they were very cool in their own ways and both would have made great Geeks if they hadn't been so frickin' psycho-crazy their whole lives.

Hunter S. Thompson - took his own life. Oh well.

http://photodude.com/quotelog/hunter_thompson.shtml

Indian Larry - Stupid motorcycle wreck. It fits.

http://indianlarry.com/

So now that I've paid what respect I actually have for these two whack jobs, it's on to find a group of victim's for Thursday night's boardgame session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm thinking most younger Geeks are way too literal and way too dismissive of the experiences, backgrounds and yes, even the "real" politics or idealogy of their elder Geeks.

Guess the youngsters just don't respect their elders like they did back in your day eh, Tripp?

("interesting" links, btw. thanks)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Quote:

Guess the youngsters just don't respect their elders like they did back in your day eh, Tripp?

What can we say? Respect is earned. Hunter Thompson didn't earn any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
Respect is earned. Hunter Thompson didn't earn any.

Not true. From many quarters he did just that. OTOH, he spent the majority of his life in a drug/alchohol haze, drove too fast, pissed off many people and made a crapload of money. I'll also note: even if you didn't like what he had to say, he rarely filled his pages with BS. Perhaps that's why there are 73,000 hits when you Google him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Respec'
Hunter has earned plenty of respect. He has had a profound effect on journalism and was a symbol for American counterculture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Quote:
Not true. From many quarters he did just that. OTOH, he spent the majority of his life in a drug/alchohol haze, drove too fast, pissed off many people and made a crapload of money. I'll also note: even if you didn't like what he had to say, he rarely filled his pages with BS. Perhaps that's why there are 73,000 hits when you Google him.

I should have clarified: he earned no respect from me, or many of my generation who grew up in the wake of the 60's and 70's excesses -- both excesses of "freedom" and self-indulgence represented by the druggie culture and, and the excesses of control represented by the Nixon and post-Nixon right-wing of American politics and their belief that guns could (and should) replace rational argument and goodwill. That's one reason that Weird Al Yankovic produces 313,000 hits on Google -- significantly more than the gonzo has-been who decided to off himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Google Contest!
Quote:
That's one reason that Weird Al Yankovic produces 313,000 hits on Google

Hey! I like Weird Al too! And he's of my generation. Let's do Paul McCartney next. Wonder how many hits the 'Mop-Top Has-been' of the age of excess will have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a Jessica Alba search today, but I didn't take note of the number of hits. I guess I could do another search, purely in the name of research of course.

As for Gonzo, he was one of my favorite muppets. Not sure exactly what he was and why he was the pimp master with all those chickens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Quote:
Let's do Paul McCartney next. Wonder how many hits the 'Mop-Top Has-been' of the age of excess will have?

1,370,000. But if you think there's ANY comparison between Paul McCartney and Hunter S. Thompson, I'd suggest you leave a window open next time you paint miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Barbee
United States
Milwaukie
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Quote:
excesses of "freedom"

Its funny, this is just the type of comment I would expect from someone who feels the need to slam one of the few journalists of our time who had the balls to tell it like it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Quote:
Its funny, this is just the type of comment I would expect from someone who feels the need to slam one of the few journalists of our time who had the balls to tell it like it was.

Hunter Thompson didn't "tell it like it was," and I will resist to my dying day the false idol-worship attributed to this self-indulgent drugged-up retard. Thompson told it like he *wanted* it to be, and that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Derscheid
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also this weekend, Jack Chalker finally lost his fight against heart disease. It's odd, but I don't feel as strongly about Hunter S. Thompson's death as Mike Royko or Damon Knight's passing (they shuffled off a while back).

I had wondered how Thompson would deal with the approach of old age. I had hoped he would avoid the Hemingway Solution. With Nixon dead, what else did he have to live for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Quote:
Also this weekend, Jack Chalker finally lost his fight against heart disease...

Aw man, really? Cripes. Now that is too bad. I never cared for Chalker's central works, but I could at least respect what he was doing.
Zelazny, Chalker, Knight...how in the world is Bradbury hanging on? The formative generation of SF are dropping like flies this past ten years or so. That blows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To get back on subject:
"Not even the foulest atrocities of Adolf Hitler ever shocked me so badly as these [Abu Ghraib] photographs did,"

"The utter collapse of this Profoundly criminal Bush conspiracy will come none too soon for people like me. . . The massive plundering of the U.S. Treasury and all its resources has been almost on a scale that is criminally insane, and has literally destroyed the lives of millions of American people and American families."

"Why are we seeing George Bush on TV every two hours for nine or ten days at a time, like some kind of mutated Mr. Rogers clone? Something is dangerously wrong in any country where a monumentally-failed backwoods politician can scare our national TV networks so totally that they will give him anything he wants."

"The 2004 presidential election will be a matter of life or death for the whole nation. We are sick today, and we will be even sicker tomorrow if this wretched half-bright swine of a president gets re-elected in November."

Maybe this Thompson guy was on to something. In addition to being on something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The older you get, the more people there are that you are sorry to see go, and the more names you recognize show up in the news.

Where's my old-man-with-white-hair emoticon??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Barbee
United States
Milwaukie
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Quote:
self-indulgent drugged-up retard

And the worst thing is he really availed himself of those darned excessive freedoms, didn't he?

Btw, I like your avatar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
sounds about right
well I 'Googled' for "intellect" in THIS 'thread' and you know what I got? "see GROGnads"cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Goodall
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
man, i'm glad i'm young and uneducated. I have neither anything to say, nor a clue what you guys are so pumped about. ...keep the banter coming guyslaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Indian Larry, ok, I would have expected that, but Dr. Hunter S? You never cease to amaze me Tripp.

surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably live under a rock, but Hunter S. Thompson is DEAD?

I always assumed he would take a better way out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is an appropriate end for Hunter. It would be strange if he died on a treadmill. He isn't the first writer to have an issue with drugs, and he certainly is not the last. Drug trips have influenced plenty of writers and artists. I think it fitting that there is such a flame about his worth. This flame has been going on for years and in many circles. Oh, and he definitely isn't the first self-indulgent writer either. Love him or hate him he sure knows how to touch a nerve, even here on a website devoted to geeking out and playing boardgames!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
No, Thompson certainly isn't the first writer to have dabbled -- or even wallowed -- in drugs. Nor the first typified by massive egotism. But he's one of the worst examples I can think of of someone who successfully based an entire career on nothing but those two qualities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Barbee
United States
Milwaukie
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Aaron,

Have you ever read anything that he wrote besides Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas?

I don't think you have, otherwise you wouldn't be making such ridiculous statements.

The man's career was built on insightful reporting, and a sometimes self destructive compulsion to expose the rotting underbelly of American politics, sports and society.

If you think that this aspect of America doesn't exist, or that it should never be acknowledged,then your avatar is truly appropriate.

This is my last post on this subject, since you obviously have some type of issue with substance abuse, causing you to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

You are entitled to your opinion though, and I have nothing personal against you.

See ya around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R C
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
I was sad about Sandra Dee passing. Awfully young to go.

Same here. Very underrated actress. R.I.P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Quote:

Have you ever read anything that he wrote besides Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas?

Yep. Didn't ever like his self-referentialism, which got in the way of his reporting. Thought his libertarian politics weren't very well thought out. Frankly found his rhetorical voice annoyingly shrill. But those are substantive comments, and you're interested in personal abuse:

Quote:
I don't think you have, otherwise you wouldn't be making such ridiculous statements.

Surprise: you ain't psychic. Just because I don't agree with your opinions doesn't necessarily make my opinions "ridiculous" or ill-informed.

Quote:

If you think that this aspect of America doesn't exist, or that it should never be acknowledged,then your avatar is truly appropriate.

Awww, how cute, you think you're insulting me. That tells me something about how little you understand Rider-Waite's symbology.

Quote:

This is my last post on this subject, since you obviously have some type of issue with substance abuse

Yeah, that's real constructive criticism right there.

Quote:

You are entitled to your opinion though, and I have nothing personal against you.

And your post sure supports *that* statement.
Not.

See ya around.[/q]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.