Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: rant about trade lists .... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
i have recently been trying to make several trades , and have run into the same problem , no reply . i have even come across a few people who had games i wanted on their trade lists , but nothing on their want list , and when i tried to contact them , they didnt reply to tell me what they wanted for the games .

i have also been unindated with people wanting to trade me games i either didnt want , or trying to trade games that were way under valued . i have told them no and explained why , but it gets me back to the next problem in that some people have way over inflated values for their games . en example is that i recently proposed a trade of 3 hard to find games from games workshop complete for 4 games that they had that are not as rare , and cheaper , so they countered wit a copy of the D&D dragon strike for a copy of a different game that was also a old games workshop game , which i was ready for a counter trade , but not one that involved a game on my part that is hard to find , for a game that i can get on ebay for as little as $5 , or $15 on the BGG sale section . i dont trade blindly , i try to compare the monetary value of what i have vs. what i want either on BGG( if there are copies for sale ) or ebay if there are none here .

it would be nice if everyone who has items on their trade list either would put items on their WANT list , or atleast respond to inquiries if their want list is empty .

it would be equally nice if people would over inflate the value of their games just because they think they are worth more , they should instead look at what they go for on either BGG or ebay .

well thats my rant , so THERE .shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Ruck
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Crabro was my first own-design stunt kite, named after a genus of black and yellow stinging insect in the UK
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we see if out offer has been read?
I've suffered the same on the few offers I have made.

The problem is that I do not know if my offers have been read and ignored, or just not read as the recipient has not logged on - not kept his email address up to date - or whatever.

Is it possible to add a flag to see if our SENT mail has been read Aldie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is possible now. Go to your inbox and at the bottom, where it says View Folder: view your outbox. It will tell if your message has been read or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check a users profile
As far as knowing if a user has logged in, just look at their profile. It lists the last time a user has logged into the site. For some more comments and advice on successful trading see my GeekList:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Successful trading is possible on this site without going through GeekLists or offering trades up on the journals. There are plenty of traders that have high success rates. I think there are a number of parts to this success. One has to do with the games you are offering and the games you want. How much in demand are these games? Have you looked at the game page to see how many users want a given game? Have you looked at the profile page of the person you are trying to set up a trade with to see how active they are around here and when the last time they logged in was? If they don't appear to be around much have you checked their loggin status over the course of a week or so to see how often they are here? Have you looked at the list of games the person owns to see what they potentially say about a game they have up for trade? Have they commented on any of the games they own? Have they listed condition comments for any games on their trade list? Not everyone uses those lists for the purpose they are intended for nor should they have to. One of the comments on my Geeklist is from someone who does just this. His side of the story is he was frustrated with a bunch of trade offers when he didn't want to trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Donohue
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Kneel puny Doomtrooper before the might of the Ezoghoul!
mbmbmbmbmb
Frustration
Quote:
Not everyone uses those lists for the purpose they are intended for nor should they have to. One of the comments on my Geeklist is from someone who does just this. His side of the story is he was frustrated with a bunch of trade offers when he didn't want to trade.

Sure, you can't make people use the trade checkbox for the purpose it was designed for. It seems a bit silly to get frustrated when people start offering to trade for it.

That's like if I put a "For Sale" sign on my car so I could find it more easily in parking lots but got frustrated because people kept offering to buy it from me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kilgore
United States
Sturgeon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I no longer even bother scanning for matching trades.

I've sent out perhaps a dozen offers, with none being accepted. Trade lists, on the other hand, have resulted in private trades as well as the public trade, so they have been extremely successful by comparison - which is why I am disenchanted with taking the time to find person offering a game I want, creating a trade proposal, and waiting for the trade to expire or the trade to be declined.

BTW, I've had 5 trade offers sent to me that expired before I read them. I had a year where I failed to check in more than once or twice (sorry).

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kilgore
United States
Sturgeon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops! Forgot a suggestion...
It would also be nice to be able to search for trades, but to limit the search to people that have one or more successful trade to their name. This would, at least, allow you to find people that have a proven interest in trading and might improve one's success in finding a viable trade.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Ruck
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Crabro was my first own-design stunt kite, named after a genus of black and yellow stinging insect in the UK
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we see if out offer has been read?
Quote:
This is possible now. Go to your inbox and at the bottom, where it says View Folder: view your outbox. It will tell if your message has been read or not.

Thanks for that Jatoha - it works perfectly.

Now I know who is too bone idle to click reply and type "No thanks"

angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
according to mine , they ALL were read , so they were ALL to lazy .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.