Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Re-energizing Trivial Pursuit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider myself a pretty good trivia player; but as a lot of Geeks have noticed, after a while playing the same edition over and over, you tend to recognize questions and their answers - even if you had no firsthand knowledge of the subject.

The best way to overcome this, I've found, is to purchase several different sets of cards (Why, oh why, did they stop making just the card sets and make you buy a whole new game? Wait, just answered my own question.) and make yourself a whole new box of questions to choose from. The point being, you never know what edition you're going to get a question from. And everyone can have their own box of cards if you get at least three editions together.

When going for a final question to win the game, you can give the answering team a choice - pick your category color, or what edition you want a question from. The asking team gets to choose the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Martin
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
This above all: To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine and I came up with our own variant to try to inject some life into this as well. Ours consisted of using 4 boards and creating ways to warp your pieces from one board to another to assist the "native" piece. We also including different movement rules to try to injext some strategy into moving your pieces and being able to block your opponent. I should post them! \

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please post your Trivial Pursuit movement rules. I've been considering a "warp" mechanic as well if I ever decide to host my mega TP game. I have nearly all of them (minus maybe 4 or 5).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carmouche
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
funpaul
My group uses a "warp 2" rule, and we are very happy with it.

If a player (or team) correctly answers two non-wedge granting questions in a row, then they get to pick up their token and put it anywhere on the board in lieu of using the die for their next go.

This cuts down the game time considerably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Wechner
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My group uses a "warp 2" rule, and we are very happy with it.

If a player (or team) correctly answers two non-wedge granting questions in a row, then they get to pick up their token and put it anywhere on the board in lieu of using the die for their next go.

This cuts down the game time considerably.

I can't remember playing without the warp again rule ... if you land on any space marked "Roll again" just warp to anywhere. Again, kno-one I have met or played with doesn't love this, it's the most banal aspect of this game that you spend most of it, trying to land on the right damned space to get those last few wedges. If you want to play a game about trivia and not mindless die rolling, then you play this way basically.

More liberal players I've played with goe one step further - throw the board away altogether and just pick categories. Makes for a much quicker game . Or roll a die for the color rolling again if you have the wedge already or allocaitng die points to avoid rolling again(i.e. if I have three wedges left 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6 for each color etc).

We've done this with Pictionary too. Got the idea from a game called Rolf Harris' Pictrue Drawing game which did just that and was much much more fun than pictionary because you did away with the cruddy board .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Andrews
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
Our variant works like this: die is rolled and the question is asked. The number on the die represents the number of drinks that are up for battle. If player gets the answer right, they get the pie piece and assigns the number of drinks. If wrong, player drinks. Actual pie pieces in the game are "double drinks."

Can't remember whether we finished many games this way or not....but it sure energizes the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
?
The only way to do this is to set the damn thing on fire. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.