Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Vassal-itis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Leveille
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to try some of the wargames on Vassal, but not being a wargamer (only because of lack of exposure, i am sure), and being totally unfamiliar with Vassal, I am terrified of using it. I would hate to piss off other gamers as I work through both the mechanics of a game and the mechanics of the system.

Anyone out there know the best way to 'test the waters' (tippy-toes or dive right in)? Which games are the best to start with? Which to avoid? Which will leave me staring blankly at the screen for hours as I try to figure out if its my turn yet?

I consider the fact that it is in English a major bonus. I learned BSW in its German-only Dark Ages, and currently play on Butt Du Jour Boite a Jeux. Maybe its the Wargame-ish that has me intimidated (I've seen their posts, especially "GrogNads'" - these guys are scary)

Any help/advice/flames/grammatical erections corrections would be greatly under- appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL
At first I thought this was going to be someone whining about Tom Vasel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, really!
Quote:
At first I thought this was going to be someone whining about Tom Vasel

I read this hoping to find a post by Vasel putting the smack down on someone else for misspelling his name. *sigh*

I don't have any tips for VASSEL unless you have a copy of Struggle of Empires and can talk the guy that's currently beta testing his VASSEL setup for that game. Since it's not as complex as most war games, you might have a better chance at learning the ropes of the engine without stepping on too many scary warhawk toes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Gone Mad
Earth Gone Mad is a Dan Verssen Game available as a "Virtual Tabletop" game for the VASSAL system. While the game is not free ($9.95), it comes with a solitaire game that can be played before buying the game.

This might be a good way to explore the VASSAL system.

http://www.dvg.com/earthgonemad.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walkthrough
VASSAL comes with a walkthrough that shows you all of the normal features. That should be sufficient for most purposes. You should also be able to set up a game against yourself by running VASSAL twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Memoir '44 setup for VASSAL, which was the reason I installed it. But I haven't gotten around to figuring it out, either. If you find someone who knows how the thing works, let me know! (I think there was someone on the M44 page, but I haven't had the time to look for him yet)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Vassel-itis was a condition where you have an urge to write a record number of reviews for boardgames you played, and post them on the net, over a several month period :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Leveille
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I got it up and running. It seems that it isn't at all like BSW or the others. Its just a virtual tabletop, so I still have to know all the rules and mechanics because the game doesn't deal with them.

This could be tough. I don't own or have ever played a majority (if not all) of the games available. I downloaded the Titan clone (Collossus) and it just scared the crap out of me.

I guess I'll just have to waste a day making my way through all of the rules and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.