Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Homemade Hive rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Stanger
Canada
Hagensborg
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been checking out Hive at www.hivemania.com, playing the online version, and it's a pretty interesting game. The only improvement on it that I could make is to play it with another human being. With that in mind I decided to make my own copy of it.

Why did I opt for this route rather than purchase the game? Usually I wouldn't consider it. I would lay out the money to buy the game and support the company but I'm between jobs right now and things are tight. I figure that I will make a copy, enjoy it, and when my finances allow it I will upgrade to the real thing. As enjoyable as it can be to make your own copy of a game I like having the polished real deal.

I have decided to document my project here for the fun of it. Maybe some other members will enjoy seeing the process. I'll tell you right now that I am not skilled in craft work so please be kind with my techniques and the outcome

Here is a picture of some of the wooden playing pieces I cut
http://img180.exs.cx/img180/5215/justcut4dw.jpg

I looked at pictures of Hive in the gallery for it here on BGG and tried to judge the size of the playing pieces from the photos. I think that mine are a bit larger. They are 6cm wide, 5cm tall, and 3/4 of an inch thick. I cut them out of spruce 1 by 4 that I had left over from putting siding on my woodshed.

When I first started drawing and cutting them i was working under the mistaken assumption that a hexagon is as wide as it is tall. I don't know why i didn't measure some game pieces from a store bought game. It cost me time and effort as I cut 11 of them before I noticed how oddly tall they were. That is what the above picture is of though I'm not sure if you can see what I mean. I was going to throw the botched ones in the kindling box (I definitely felt like itangry ) but instead I decided to put them away in case they came in handy for a future game project.

To measure the game pieces out (correctly this time) I cut a 6cm x 5cm piece off the 1 x 4. Then I would measure 3cm into each 6cm edge and mark them. Those would be the 'points' of the hexagon. On the 5cm edges I measured in 1.5cm from each side and marked them. Then is was a simple matter of drawing lines from those marks to the points and cutting off the wood outside the lines.

I used clamps and a miter box for that to guarantee the straightest edges I could. I used a fine toothed saw to keep the cuts clean and smooth. It worked out pretty good though they are not as perfect in size as they would be if they were machine cut. There are small gaps when they are fit together but it is good enough for homemade.

Using softwood rather than hardwood resulted in the cut edges not sanding down completely smooth. That's a shame but I obviously didn't want to buy hardwood boards for a money saving project. The coats of primer and paint smooth them down somewhat. The faces of the hexagon sanded down very nicely.

Here is a picture of all 22 game pieces primed and drying:
http://img180.exs.cx/img180/2746/primed1kq.jpg

Once I had cut and sanded all of the game pieces I used a cheap 1 inch sponge brush and leftover acrylic primer from renovations to prime them for painting.

In the real game the pieces are silver and blue. They are made of varnished hardwood and each have a sticker on top denoting their color and the insect they represent. If my own pieces had smoothed out better I would have left them natural but as they were a bit rough on some of the cut edges despite sanding I decided to paint the whole piece. One set will be white and one set will be blue. The simple reason for those color choices is that I have some paint of those colors.

The paint is interior laytex, the white semigloss and the blue flat finish. Like I said before, I only chose to use those colors and types because I had it left over from painting my kitchen and bathroom. Here is an amusing picture of the kitchen renovations. I'm not very skilled in my work.
http://img227.exs.cx/img227/9265/renovations0wd.jpg

I found that I had to sand the hexagons lightly between coats as the paint tends to build up on top of any imperfections. By lightly I mean very lightly and sparingly with a fine grit sand paper. A little goes a long way.

http://img65.exs.cx/img65/5384/painted7dy.jpg

The hardest part of this project is now upon me: painting the insects on. I have downloaded the image files from the CyberBoard version of Hive so that I can examine how they are drawn closely. I do not play to paint them exactly as they look, I doubt I could, but im aiming for a similar appearance that I can live with.

That is all that I have done so far on my homemade Hive project as of now. I will continue work on it and keep posting new pictures as I progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
Sweden
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The pictures don't load if I click the link, i just get to the frontpage of ImageShack. caravancaravan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.N. Onymous
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hexagons
6cm for the hexagons is indeed larger than the original hive pieces, although this is not necessarily a bad thing, as I think the original pieces are on the small side. I hate to spoil your fun though, but it appears from your description that you did not use regular hexagons (i.e., all 6 sides the same length, all interior angles 120 degrees). This might also be the reason they do not fit together properly

The standard way to draw a regular hexagon is to first draw a circle of the appropriate size (6cm in diameter in your case), and then mark 6 equally spaced points on the circle and draw lines between them. See http://home.wanadoo.nl/zefdamen/Constructions/hexagon/inhexa... for details

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark D. Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnetic Hive
In the time when Hive was between printings, before I got my real copy, I used the graphics from a Hive module for Thoth printed on magnetic sheeting to play Hive on the fridge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am doing something similar with foamcore.

Now could someone come up with a more attractive theme than bugs so I can get my wife to play?

I have been trying to come up with alternate themes, so far to no avail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stanger
Canada
Hagensborg
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
The pictures don't load if I click the link, i just get to the frontpage of ImageShack. caravancaravan

Sorry to everyone that the picture links don't work at the moment. I needed to open an account with the host site to link to them permanently and my email is down so I can't confirm the sign up at the moment. Hopefully, this will soon be fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stanger
Canada
Hagensborg
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
The standard way to draw a regular hexagon is to first draw a circle of the appropriate size (6cm in diameter in your case), and then mark 6 equally spaced points on the circle and draw lines between them. See http://home.wanadoo.nl/zefdamen/Constructions/hexagon/inhexa... for details

Thanks for the link! I will definitely use that method on future projects requiring hexagons. If I hadn't already cut all 22 peices I would consider starting over but I just don't have the heart too after screwing up one batch already.yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Deagan
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The floor tile store in your area likely sells sheets of ceramic hexagons (1" in my area.) They are excellent for making hex boards and using as hex pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your homemade set might just be better quality than the real thing! The stickers get really scratched and scuffed and that's a real shame after having paid around £20 for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stanger
Canada
Hagensborg
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Photo Links Work Now
Hey all. Thanks for your patience. The photo links should work now as I finally was able to confirm my account at imageshack. Sorry for the picture quality but I am working with 1 megapixel camera (and an inept operator- myself)

Enjoy and thanks for the interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stanger
Canada
Hagensborg
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chess Theme?
Quote:
I am doing something similar with foamcore.

Now could someone come up with a more attractive theme than bugs so I can get my wife to play?

I have been trying to come up with alternate themes, so far to no avail.

Maybe it would work with a chess theme? The queen bee is the king, the grasshopper a knight, soldier ants are pawns, the spider a bishop, and the beetle a rook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
available via pbem
You can now play Hive by email at Richard's PBEM Server (go to www.gamerz.net/pbmserv for details). I would be happy to play anyone interested (userid: lyman).

A brief survey of local game stores (US) suggests that the second edition is running out so I suggest that anyone wavering buy it now. My set is first edition and I do envy the new easier to make out blue pieces!

If it gets reprinted I think highly enough of it that it is one of the games I am thinking of getting a redundant copy of for my parents' summer house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.