Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: "Fairy Tale" questions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. P. Harris
United States
flag msg tools
This sounds like an easy & fun game...I have some questions:

1. It appears that the game is dual-language (Japanese & English appear on the cards) - is there enough English to play the game if we don't know Japanese (in other words, would an "English version" be the same)?

2. What are people's opinions on how this plays w/2 people? The comments seem to say both good and bad.

Thanks for any information!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The online rules are pretty bad. The rules that come with the game are pretty bad, but there's enough info that you can figure out what they meant to say. I have only played with two players so far, and the game is fairly boring that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairy Tale rules are not on-line
I've seen links purporting to be on-line rules for Fairy Tale, but none of these links actually gives you the rules. I found the rules included in the game box to be reasonably usable, if not as helpful as they could have been. The on-line links I have followed don't give you enough information to understand how to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Ng
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are language independent. You do not need to know japanese to play. the cards have different symbols and pictures that will tell you what to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 - 5 players
While the game works with two players, that's about the best one could say about it as a two player game. It's not really interesting or fun. If you're looking for a two player game there are much better options in the price range.

Fairy Tale is a great game with more than two. It's at it's best with five, IMO. Also, it seems that it's really good as a 2vs2 partnership game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairy Tale
There is barely any Japanese on the cards - and none that is required for play. The only text that isn't translated on the cards already is the flavour text for the various Chapter cards - which has no bearing on the game itself. There is a translated set of the text here on the 'Geek if you're interested, too.

I don't think the game would work very well as a two-player game the way the rules say. I would suggest that a 2-player game should be run the way 2-player drafts in Magic often are:

Turn over four cards from the deck. First player chooses one, second player chooses two, first player takes the last card. Repeat with player 2 picking first, then back to player 1, etc. until each player has six cards.

Then play four cards face-up instead of three, discard 2 as usual. Repeat for rounds 2-4 and score as usual. I haven't tried it, but knowing what your opponent is trying to do (because you can see what cards he's taking) makes for a more interesting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. P. Harris
United States
flag msg tools
Thank you!
Thanks, everyone for the info! Much appreciated. I think I'll get it & try Patrick's idea if we play w/2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.