Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: HYBRID games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been increasing amounts of talk about hybrid games on the 'Geek. I am not sure exactly what this means, but as far as I understand it is some sort of american-euro-style hybrid... Some people mentioned Bootleggers in some recent journals, for example. So games that combine stronger theme, good mechanics, and strategical depth...

Can the more experienced gamers please help point out what these games are so far, that is, what are the games that are already out there that are good (or bad) hybrids? Which ones fail and which ones succeed [as hybrids and as games in general]? Is there any news of releases of such games in the near future?

Please refrain from lecturing me and others about your opinion about what's better, american and/or euro and/or wargames... there are other journals for that...

If anyone wants to start a geeklist about this, please feel free. I would, if I only understood the concept better.

Thanks a lot for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium, 3rd edition is a perfect example. In the designer notes at the end of the rules he talks about the eurogame explosion and how he wanted to incorperate the simplicity and elegence into the third edition of Twilight Imperium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see the opinions on this too...you are absolute right, someone should make that fabulous geeklist wow. I for one could care less if a game is Euro, American, Card, War, WHATEVER. A Game is a Game to me. I'm an zombieaddictzombie thrgoough and thrgoough....I used to try to stick to specific styles....then I became an addict of bits (which has lead me to some very fine games indeed, like TI3....god that statement is flammable devil )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OT: Taco! Taco! check out my recent geeklist about favorite BITS!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good topic! I just started a GeekList on this, so you are all invited to submit and discuss games there too.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awsome geeklist !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Beyer
United States
Northville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bluepigeon wrote:
There has been increasing amounts of talk about hybrid games on the 'Geek. I am not sure exactly what this means, but as far as I understand it is some sort of american-euro-style hybrid... Some people mentioned Bootleggers in some recent journals, for example. So games that combine stronger theme, good mechanics, and strategical depth...

Sorry - just found this post...

IMHO - 3 key things:

1. Theme driven mechanics
2. Luck as the "6th" player
3. Direct and Indirect conflict

Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hybrid is also used to describe games marrying boardgame elements with elements of other genres, such as roleplaying games or console games.

Doom, for example, could be considered a hybrid of a boardgame, and an attempt to capture the frenetic pace/action of a console First Person Shooter...

But I think a better example would be hybrid games combining boardgame and roleplaying game ideas. Battlestations and Siege of the Citadel are excellent examples of this. Each player has characters that improve over time, and between individual missions, while one player acts as referee to monitor/direct the action. Players can string together a series of linked scenarios to form a campaign, and enjoy the game over multiple sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wallenstein has armies of RISK, cards for command control, a
tower for a random combat element, less play time than a 'wargame'
and hordes -ok - small groups- of enthused followers...
Wallyites unite!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.