Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Another fun game please? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Agard
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got back into board gaming. I used to play games like Axis and Allies and History of the World with my buds. However, now my gameing sessions are usually limited to my girlfriend and some of her friends. My first buy, with them in mind, was Evo. It was a real hit with them. That inspired me to search further. That was when I found a real gem. Ticket to Ride. It was a huge success. Now my girlfriend is bugging me to play it everynight. My new task is to find a similar game to provide some variety. Can someone please give me some suggestions?

Here are the qualities that made TtR such a hit:
-FUN!!!!
-Simple rules / easy to learn (I'm not so good at explaining rules)
-Quick game (very little downtime)
-2-4 Players (scales down well for 2 players)

Some games I've been looking at:
-Elfenlands
-Mystery of the Abbey
-Carassonne: Hunters and Gatherers
-Bohnanza

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Richards
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games that are easy to learn and accepted by a wide range of people are: Carassonne - Hunters and Gatherers and the original Settlers of Catan.

It seems that a lot of people got hooked into board-gaming by SoC.

My wife enjoys Evo and is always willing to play it when I get it out. She also enjoys Torres, Balloon Cup, and Lost Cities. She has also been prompting me to get out Theophrastas (Think is it spelled right) again. It seems she has the same taste that your gf has. Balloon Cup and Lost Cities are 2-player games.

Good hunting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfenlands never grabbed me
Mystery of the Abbey - thanks, but no thanks...not a fan of deduction games

What about the re-print of Web of Power (China), which now features a 2-sided board. Fun, strategy, not too deep, but hard to win.
Or get a cheap auction game, like For Sale.
Blokus is a very confrontational game that plays awesome with 4

googoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen broadbent
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Carcassonne
Definately pick up Carcassonne and all of it's expansions they will love it! And what is up with no boys to play with??shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many suggestions that people can make, of course. But it seems that you are relatively new to this, so I see no reason not to go with the proven hits.

Any version of Carcassonne is worth it, but note the number of players you want to be able to play. The Castle is only 2, The City is 2-4, the original game is 2-6, I don't know how many H&G is set up for.

Settlers of Catan - You can't go wrong with this one.

Modern Art - The perfect game to find out if your group likes auction games or not. If it works for you, it will open up a whole ton of new games for you, if not, it will save you a ton of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never forget...
Ticket to Ride!

redtrainredtrainredtraingreentraingreentrainbluetrainbluetrainbluetrainbluetrainyellowtrainyellowtrainyellowtrainyellowtrainyellowtrainblacktrainblacktrainblacktrainredtraingreentraingreentraingreentraingreentraingreentraingreentrainbluetrainbluetrainbluetrainbluetrain

greentrain:Gggreentrain:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, you've already discovered T2R.

My bad.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza is a winner in our circle...there are so many moments in trading where people literally LOL! I mean, when people finally realize the prospect of Giving Cards Away, it becomes a mad frenzy of "you know you want this"....take my wife..Please. This game seems to never have downtime as players can interact no matter whose turn it is.

Another solid game with a nice mix of mechanics is Alhambra. A bit of set collection mixed with tile-laying. Along those lines is the classic Aquire. Perhaps, though this game is much harder to find, even Union Pacific (a Classic in my book) would fit the bill in this style of gaming. UP or Aquire are a bit deeper and longer than perhaps you may want, but they are just such outstanding games and in my humble opinion, could not be simpler in terms of play and still offer brilliant strategy. Alhambra is my first recommendation of the 3 for those just easing back into things.

I might recommend Carcassonne's regular edition to any other (though I have been loving The City recently). It's such an inexpensive game, and so easy to teach. I have seldom seen anyone who didn't like it. Pure unending variety from the random tile drawing keeps the game fresh. It's the game that got me Beyond Monopoly.

For a couple of super-light and fast-paced games, also try Coloretto or Circus Flochati. Circus can be explained in about 2 minutes and played in under 15. It has this "Press Your Luck" feel about it. "No Whammy! No Whammy! No WHHAAAAMMYYYY!! STOP!" Both games can also be played in a series, since they are so short, allowing for a "best of 3" or "best of 5" in terms of total score. Both have great value, as both are fantastic games for under $10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Samurai and San Juan too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Click here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/655
And here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/589
And here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/834
And here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/822

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin crog
United States
N. Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Tichu
Tichu doesn't scale down to two, but it does have some variety and is easy to learn. I really enjoy it. Another great game that is not too hard to teach is Euphrat and Tigris, which can be played with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I too highly recommend Blokus.

Considering your history in Axis and Allies, I think you would get a lot of milage out of Pirate's Cove. arrrh

Finally, I'd recommend Alladin's Dragons, on the lighter side but with a nice amount of tension and screwage.

None of these scale well for 2, except maybe Blokus but I haven't played it that way. For two, Blue Moon has really captured my imagination of late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Any version of Carcassonne is worth it, but note the number of players you want to be able to play. The Castle is only 2, The City is 2-4, the original game is 2-6, I don't know how many H&G is set up for.

H&G is 2-5, but so far I've only played two-player. The modified tiles from the King & Scout are worth having, but you have to play them fairly early in the game to get the most out of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.