Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Command and Colours rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S fessey
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick question - I keep hearing about Richard Borg's Command and Colors system and the context seems to imply there is a whole series of games like Battle Cry and Memoir 44. As far as I can see - there aren't! Am I missing something??

By the way - it wouldn't be too hard to bring out more and more different eras would it? In that case, it shouldn't be too hard to create their own cards with plastic minis of knights... greeks... Russian terrorists and create their own game, right???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you're right. With the right scenarios and abit of imagination, one can create a multitude of scenarios.

In addition to Battle Cry and M44, GMT Games has a Command and Colours game in it's famous P500 (more like P1250 in this case) stage.

http://www.gmtgames.com/cca/main.html

There are currently 700+ preorders. It needs 500 more to get into production!

Hope this was helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this page for an example of additional scenarios and variants to Battle Cry. Memoir '44 also has a growing list of add-ons too.

http://www.thewargamer.com/battlecry/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Borg has designed several mare games under the Commands and Colors name. All contain the action card mechanic, but with different types of units and different cards for each game. I don't know how many.

But the key to getting them published is for there to be game comanies who will publish them. The Civil War and WWII are the most popular topics for wargames. GMT has an entire line of games on ancient warfare, and is starting others. Days of Wonder, a US/French comapny, concentrated a lot of French participation into the scenarios.

The commitment to producing a game, particularly if it contains miniatures, is large. Perhaps someday there will be sufficient interest in other periods to justify more of the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several
As others have said Richard has a number of games in the pipeline. I forget where I saw it but before Memoir '44 came out someone was interviewing him (or something like that) and I recall the person asking if a naval combat game was possible with the system and Richard replied that he was working on something like that at the time. The ancients game should be nice since it can apply to many different time periods. The cardboard standup counters don't really bother me since the game is supposed to contain a little more meat than either Battle Cry or Memoir '44. Besides there are apparently lots of plastic ancient figures available for fairly cheap. Check out this link someone sent me for more info:

http://www.czapska.com/

Besides the naval and ancients games I think it'd be nice to see something from the Medieval period (with a castle map for some fortification based combat) if that is not one of the periods included in the ancients game. Also a Napoleonic game might be interesting although maybe not very different from what you find with Battle Cry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also a Napoleonic game might be interesting although maybe not very different from what you find with Battle Cry.

Aleady been done - see Vive l'Empereur:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5481

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though, to be fair...
Vive l'Empereur is about as much like Battle Cry as Lock and Load! is like Squad Leader. Yes, VlE and BC are both based on the same mechanics, which Richard Borg designed. However, VlE has significant differences from and additions to the M44/BC core. Some are minor tweaks (for example, you play cards simultaneously, then alternate moving individual units on whatever flanks are activated), and some are substantial changes (in the VlE advanced game, the deck is entirely different, and far less random). VlE also has a miniatures variant, which makes more sense in its way than using M44 as the basis for miniatures gaming.

I wanted to jump in before VlE got, once again, unfairly slammed as a "rip-off" of BC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
C&C Family
Hi, from time to time in BGG I've mentioned the info I have gleaned from several conversations with Richard and one of the M'44 developers, Pat Kurivial, about M'44 supplements and also other periods in the C&C system family.

Last summer Pat told me about a game in test stage "with all city on one side and all white on the other." This year's early reports of an Eastern Front expansion appear to confirm his clue. Richard also mentioned that in a Pacific version, there would be "more ambush cards, for one thing." Whether a Pacific War expansion is what is being referred to as "a tinkering engineer's dream" (fortifying/demolishing Pacific island defenses?) is unknown.

Some years ago--before M'44 was on the horizon--Richard told me at a HMGS-East convention that he and his game group in Florida have played a Napoleonic version (which he has demo'd with 25mm figures at Historicon), an American Revolution version, a Mexican-American War version and a Fantasy battle version (in addition to the Ancients version, which I got to play years ago at Historicon and enjoyed very much). Also, he did mention some sort of easy-play WWII naval game, probably card driven but other details unknown, a while back.

His dilemma is that he makes a living selling game designs and can't be too free with his ideas. He also needs publishers, of course, to produce the things, and sales projections must justify production, unless a company (like GMT) takes the preorder route.

The latest info I've been able to glean (from BGG, this evening) is that Days of Wonder is indicating three M'44 expansions, the first apparently by mid-2005, the next two undated, with a probability of more to come. Last summer when M'44 was released, Richard was thinking that a single stand-alone boxed game featuring another theater of WW II might be published this year if all went well. It now appears that DoW has decided to go the expansion route rather than separate self-contained games, at least for the time being.

It's stating the obvious, but the degree to which Richard will be able to provide his other C&C system periods to the gaming public depends on the sales performance of what is already released in the line--to date, "Battle Cry," "Memoir '44" and, hopefully later in 2005, "C&C Ancients."

From my conversations with Richard and Pat, witnessing the Napoleonic demos and playing the Ancients version, I have no doubt that each game will have a pleasing degree of period flavor unique to its subject. I don't think anyone who enjoys the system will be disappointed at what's still to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.