Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: People need to check Recent Additions more rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I often reply to older articles when I have questions/answers/comments. Very often, no one seems to see them. It's as if people only look at the top articles for games. Recent Additions lets you see all new articles/replies, even if they are in reply to an article from 1999. I think some BGG'ers just don't know this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider...
...sending a message to the author of the article to which you're replying, to let him/her know that there's a new reply up.

b

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG already does this
If you create an article, GeekList or Journal entry and someone replies you will get a message sent to you indicating that there has been an update. If you didn't create the item, you can link to all your comments via your profile page (all except for journal entries so far).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Forums
I think the coming forum structure will solve this problem since you can elect to be notified of new posts in a thread. Quite useful! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone seems to think that I am looking to be notified. What I am asking is for others to be aware of posts in articles/threads they have participated in. The easiest way to do that is to simply view Recent Additions every day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never looked at Recent Additions before today, actually. I probably never will again.

Good lord. There's hundreds of items each day. I check the site pretty regularly, but often a few days, or even a week, will go by between visits. Expecting someone to check the Recent Additions every day just on the off chance there might be something to which they 'ought' to reply is a bit much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Johnson
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Quote:
What I am asking is for others to be aware of posts in articles/threads they have participated in. The easiest way to do that is to simply view Recent Additions every day.

If you want the newbie perspective, just keeping up with the stuff on the front page keeps me plenty busy. Scrolling through that looooonglist of recent additions is more than I'm usually willing to do in the (brief but satisfying) time I can allot to trolling BGG.

Of course, the more devoted among us may enjoy it hugelysugar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG Already Does This
Alan: I don't think this is always true, even for new articles. I posted an article to the Memoir '44 page last week, and it got a few replies, but there was no notification to my BGG inbox. Today, I replied to my own article to thank everyone who had posted responses. Again, no autonotification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not me
My reply was directed to you, actually. If you want to make someone aware of a reply you have posted, just e-mail that person. Assuming he/she checks the BGG inbox, that person will know you replied -- because you told him/her.

b

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not so sure the forums will solve anything. The "autonotification" is painful (I've only posted in three or four threads, but I get too many BGG mail notifications that someone else -- or I -- have posted there). I quickly learned to unsubscribe so I don't get all that clutter (once a day would be more than enough).

Also, I can't tell that the forums will be all that useful. They get resorted by which one is most recently active, so it's hard to scroll through the topics to figure out which ones you have been watching. Seems to be no magic bullet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. P. Harris
United States
flag msg tools
If you check the "Alt Recent Additions" link, it is color-coded directly beneath the game name so you can more easily see what kind of additions were made. At least, it is easier for me...I can quickly scroll past all the new game & image additions which I'm not interested in.

One thing that would vastly improve this would be to have this in alphabetical order. Aldie, Derk, is that possible? Unless no one else agrees What order is it in now? Chronological, by addition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. P. Harris
United States
flag msg tools
Oooh, I just figured out the "toggle" options on the "Alt Recent Additions". You can hide the types of additions you don't want to see! I just hid images, sessions, & new games. Makes it even easier! Thanks, BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to sort additions by type. The only way I would ever use Recent Additions is if I could apply filters by game.

That's where I think the forum system will help with this. If each game has its own separate forum, then I will be able to see all the active threads for Struggle of Empires without having to wade through the active threads for Puerto Rico and War of the Ring.

The only problem with the current game notification system is that it only notifies you of new articles and files and session reports and such. It doesn't notify you of replies to articles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm not so sure the forums will solve anything. The "autonotification" is painful (I've only posted in three or four threads, but I get too many BGG mail notifications that someone else -- or I -- have posted there). I quickly learned to unsubscribe so I don't get all that clutter (once a day would be more than enough).

I've noticed that on most forums I am apart of they only notify you once until you visit the thread again, rather than notifing you every time there is a new post. This would definitly be an excelent thing for Aldie to work into the system. It is quite obvious why this is used else where and then it the notifcation system would be EXTREAMLY useful and not cumbersome on you inbox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.