Popular Tags: [View All]
Karrde
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doo-doo doodoodoodoodoo doo-do*

That's the noise running through my head permanently as we played our first couple of games of Back to the Future.

I bought it yesterday and my regular opponent/nemesis and I decided to take it for a test run today and much fun was had.

The game is made up of 3 decks of cards: id, timeline and game cards.

Id cards: who you are in the game. No you can't be Marty, but you could be his grandson. Each id has a set of victory conditions to achieve to win the game.
Timeline cards: The story of the three films broken down into a grid with key moments plotted out by time to lynch pin events e.g. leaving the sports almanac with Biff and the ripples in time these events cause. Change a lynchpin and you amend the timeline to show the effect.
Game cards: The tools you have to amend the timeline and stop Doc Brown inventing time travel. These ranges from a hoverboard to many different time machines to a case of plutonium.

HOLD ON - Stop Doc Brown you say?
Yep once you've altered the timeline to suit your goals you have to stop the Doc from inventing time travel thus fixing the future where you are the happy fruit of a union of Biff and Jennifer or George becomes a famous writer.

That's it, dead simple to get into and away we went...

20 mins later and we were still reading the cards, flipping them over gleefully to see how the timeline would work out and enjoying the interactions that could be made. As fans of the movie we were both impressed by the succinctness of the key moments but also the included nods to less obvious film parts.

The artwork on the cards is appealing, the backs are the trade mark Back to the Future logo and it packs neatly into a deck box for easy carrying. And it's at a nice price.

Two games in and we've thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to mayhem as more players get involved.

Go buy it today - unless... your chicken? BWARK BWARK BWARK

*Power of Love - Huey Lewis and the News.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q !

Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmb
At the risk of sounding like I'm repeating the obvious; this sounds suspiciously like Chrononauts.

EDIT: After seeing it's made by LooneyLabs; that all but confirms it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Simon
United States
Ashley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karrdedg wrote:
Go buy it today - unless... your chicken? BWARK BWARK BWARK

That's it. Nobody calls me chicken! Nobody!

I'll head right out and buy it this minute... uh... as long as my wife says its okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qslick wrote:
At the risk of sounding like I'm repeating the obvious; this sounds suspiciously like Chrononauts.

It's not only obvious, but explicitly stated by Looney Labs. There are other reviews that point out the changes made to the game system for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karrde
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qslick wrote:

It is and they make it clear in rules with a box out saying if you've played Chrononauts then you pretty much know how to play but there are some differences that make it worthwhile scan reading rules first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin Looney
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Karrdedg wrote:
It is and they make it clear in rules with a box out saying if you've played Chrononauts then you pretty much know how to play but there are some differences that make it worthwhile scan reading rules first.

LOL - oh how the gamers mind works... This 'box' in the rules does talk about the differences but ends with "Anyway, do not assume you already know how to play, and please read these rules carefully. Thanks!" which is kinda the same as "you pretty much know how to play but it's worthwhile to scan read the rules first."

Thanks for the great review, Jeff - I'm glad you are enjoying the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.