Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Gaming gatherings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A recent gaming gathering has me convinced that there is nothing I'd rather do with my money or leisure time than getting together with old friends and meeting new friends who enjoy the hobby as much as I do. So I've put together a list of upcoming events that I am going to try to make it to this year--hoping that friends will decide to go to. (I have not listed invitation-only events since I have little control over whether I or my friends can go to these.)

May--Atlanta Game Fest (previously Batty's Best Game Fest)
June/July--Origins
August--WBC, GenCon
September--Dragon*Con
September/October--Buckeye Game Fest (Arg...Ward Batty and CABS, did you have to schedule your gamefests for the same weekend this year? I'm going to support my local gaming group, of course, but I'd love to do both.)
November--Euroquest, BoardGameGeek Con
January--Atlanta Game Fest

Someone needs to organize one for late December/early January! School is out for 4 1/2 weeks and I have no place to go. Maybe that is when Anye and I can organize our Girl Gamers Gathering....

Hope to see you there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Val,

I plan to attend several of these gigs - Origins, WBC, GenCon, EuroQuest, and BGG.CON with a tentative maybe for Dragon*Con based on your recommendation.

As for the 1st Annual Meeting for the Association of Hot Gamer Chicks, I'm cool with late Dec./early January except that anyplace we try to book is likely to be more crowded and expensive that time of year. As late in early January as we can swing it would probably be better. Of course, this is when Mike and I usually try to make our yearly scuba trip (which we sadly missed this year) so I may have to work around that.

Except I lied. I think we should have the 1st Annual meeting sometime much sooner than that. Like maybe May, June, or July in-between the other events.

We'll just have to be sure to keep the location top secret lest those M.E.N. try to crash the party

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
OOooohhhh
Hot Chicks gathering, eh? You should fit right into DragonCon, depending on what you wear!

We're going to Origins this year, and possibly DragonCon (but unlikely - we went twice before, but the gaming wasn't especially good ... is it better now?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanna go to the Gamer Chicks con too!! Post again when there is an actual date/place for this so the rest of us girl gamers can go - thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
April
You can also do GCOM Game Days in April. No tournaments, but plenty of great open gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As for the 1st Annual Meeting for the Association of Hot Gamer Chicks, I'm cool with late Dec./early January except that anyplace we try to book is likely to be more crowded and expensive that time of year.

We'll just have to be sure to keep the location top secret lest those M.E.N. try to crash the party

You're looking at it all wrong! With a convention named "Hot Gamer Chicks", I bet you could get those men to pay for the whole thing, if you play your cards right.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Bloodworth
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ain't too proud to beg
Could you maybe arrange for some hot single gamer chicks, and then stage some sort of outreach program?

It was good seeing you this weekend. I might catch you a Batty's AGF in May. I can't stay the whole weekend, but I'm sorely tempted to ride down for a long Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We're going to Origins this year, and possibly DragonCon (but unlikely - we went twice before, but the gaming wasn't especially good ... is it better now?)

The boardgaming at Dragon*Con has been getting steadily better. But I have to admit...I really go to this con for the night life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a hot chick, too!
Oh no, I'm not. My grandmother used to call me 'boychik.' That's the source of my confusion I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
huzzah!
I look forward to meeting you at Batty's... err... the Atlanta Game Fest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaming Events and Invitations
Quote:
I have not listed invitation-only events since I have little control over whether I or my friends can go to these.

As the organizer of a gaming event, I'll point out that you have more control over getting an invitation than you think. Email the organizer and ask for an invitation. If you know other people who attend the event, have them put in a good word for you. Remind the organizer periodically that you are still interested in an invitation if something opens up. If you're on a waiting list, make sure you email the organizer to change your email address if you move (this happened to me last year, I couldn't get ahold of someone on the list and they lost the chance to attend).

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good point, Dave. You can't hope to get invited if no one knows you want to go! I have been lucky enough to be invited to a couple of events this year, but decided not to include them on my posted list out of consideration to those who haven't gotten as lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had been going to DragonCon for many years, but the last time I was there, I spent all my time gaming and looking for gaming. Well, while the gaming has definitely improved, and they provide access to the Origins game library, we decided to use those resources for a dedicated gaming con.

If any of you guys go to DragonCon, please report on it! I would like to live vicariously through you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Elusive Hot Gamer Girls

That's what I need. Not my typical foo-foo GF that always states while laughing "Going to go play you little geeky hobby again?" Grrr. But alas, they don't exist! I did go to A-Kon in dallas one year, and they did have a huge selection of hot anime cos-player chicks... devil

It reminds me of the will and grace episode where Luke Perry played the HGN "Hot Gay Nerd". I guess we nee to find that elusive HGC "Hot Gamer Chick"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I guess we nee to find that elusive HGC "Hot Gamer Chick"

And please be sure to make a distinction between the gamer girl and the geek hag. Gamer girls play games because we enjoy the hobby--geek hags just play to get attention from guys.

If you are the former--please stop me and say hi if we're at the same event. Planning for the first girl gaming invitational is underway...we're looking at a nice cabin in the middle of nowhere with a hot tub, wine, and tons of *REAL* games (no party games, please...except maybe twister...NO...just kidding!!!!!) where the boys can't find us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:
I guess we nee to find that elusive HGC "Hot Gamer Chick"

And please be sure to make a distinction between the gamer girl and the geek hag. Gamer girls play games because we enjoy the hobby--geek hags just play to get attention from guys.

If you are the former--please stop me and say hi if we're at the same event. Planning for the first girl gaming invitational is underway...we're looking at a nice cabin in the middle of nowhere with a hot tub, wine, and tons of *REAL* games (no party games, please...except maybe twister...NO...just kidding!!!!!) where the boys can't find us.

That goes for me, too! Please introduce yourself, I'm always looking to meet other Gamer Chicks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weston
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that the difference isn't a critical one to most of us gamer guys. Sure, the former is by far preferred, but the latter sure beats not having a chick in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farris
United States
Crawford
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alas, our gaming club used to have a hot gaming chickere but she moved to some midwestern state. Last I heard, she got married to some guy who thinks he is fat....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
statonv wrote:

May--Atlanta Game Fest (previously Batty's Best Game Fest)
June/July--Origins
August--WBC, GenCon
September--Dragon*Con
September/October--Buckeye Game Fest (Arg...Ward Batty and CABS, did you have to schedule your gamefests for the same weekend this year? I'm going to support my local gaming group, of course, but I'd love to do both.)
November--Euroquest, BoardGameGeek Con
January--Atlanta Game Fest

There's also BROGfest in Charleston, SC next week, March 18th-20th. Hosted by wargame designer, Richard Berg (not Borg). Wargames, light wargames and after-dinner social games expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.