Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Gaming summary (2/28/05) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Group met at Matt's place for dinner (chili & cinnamon rolls) last night:

Me ("Salt-Man Z")
Sarah (my wife)
Lane
Matt ("ravsitar")
Steve ("jagsaw")

Before dinner, while waiting for Steve to show, the rest of us started a game of SAN JUAN. It was the first time playing for all of us but Lane (who owns the game.) I knew how to play from reading so much here on the Geek, while Matt had some idea as well. Not that it's at all difficult to learn if you've played Puerto Rico. What's difficult is having a hand full of cards that you want to play eventually. Grrr... We didn't get to finish (Steve showed up and dinner was ready) but it was definitely a fun game. Moving from my "Must Have" list to my "Absolutely Must Have NOW" list.

After dinner, we played a game of TRANSAMERICA. It lasted 4 hands, and I started on Santa Fe every round. Heck, for the first 3 hands I had both Santa Fe and Dallas, which actually isn't too bad a combo. Matt ended up winning after trailing all game. Lane went out the bottom, and the rest of us all tied for second.

Short break to run back to our place for diapers (poopy baby!) and determine that Dairy Queen does indeed close at 8:00 PM.

We then played a game of HIGH SOCIETY. We introduced it to Lane as a very fast filler game, forgetting somehow that no game involving agonizing decision and Lane can move quickly. The most amusing part of the game was that Steve's first acquisition was the -5 card -- and his second was a doubler. It looked like Matt would be disqualified at the end, even though he had the most points. But further inspection showed that Lane had spent too much of his money, so Matt won.

Lane was still waiting to be picked up by his wife, so we ended the night with a game of RES PUBLICA. I kept getting stuck with the same cards: I played both sets of As and both sets of Wheels -- and nothing else. Steve spent the first chunk of the game trying to get people to trade him Gs, but no one had any. Fittingly, Matt won the game, making him 3/3 for the night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Armstead
United States
New Brighton
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Quite
I actually didn't win Res Publica. Sarah or Lane did. I was tied with you for with 19 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. Lane won, what with building 2 monuments on his last turn and already having the 9.

I thought I remembered you bragging about being undefeated for the night, though. (I guess that was before RP?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Armstead
United States
New Brighton
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
Yep it was before RP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Schwartz
United States
Urbana
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed I did win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.