Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: February 2005 Games Played rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
February Games Played

During February I played 33 different games a total of 42 times. Thirteen of the games were played last month and five of them were games I played for the first time. I could easily have played a lot more games, but life can't always revolve around a hobby and sometimes things with a higher priority come up.

I picked up a couple of dice games from Reiner Knizia (Exxtra and Easy Come, Easy Go) and had the chance to try out three more Essen 2004 releases which I hadn't played before. Exxtra was a hit with just about everyone who had the chance to play it. Other than that, it was a pretty typical and diverse month for games played.

I played a lot of online games during the month, highlighted by the new play-by-web/e-mail Finstere Flure on Boite a Jeux (www.boiteajeux.net). It might not be the best game to play online, but it is still enjoyable and the guys at BaJ always do a top-notch job when they program a game.

Anyway, on to the month's games:

6 Nimmt! (Amigo)
Played 1 time.

Beat the Buzzard (Ravensburger)
Played 1 time. Played with Mike's recently acquired copy of Raj.

Blokus (Educational Insights)
Played 1 time.

Blue Moon (Rio Grande)
Played 1 time. This was played with the most recent expansion decks, the Terrah and the Khind. Mike pulled them out and gave me the Terrah. Neither of us had looked at the decks before we played which seemed to be an advantage for me, since the Terrah seem to be the most straight-forward of the two decks. I started with a quick win in the first combat and was never really in danger as I won the first three combats, thus winning the game.

Bluff (Liar's Dice) (Ravensburger)
Played 2 times.

Bohnanza (Rio Grande)
Played 2 times.

Boomtown (Face2Face)
Played 1 time.

Circus Flohcati (Rio Grande)
Played 2 times.

Clocktowers (Jolly Roger)
Played 2 times. It really does play well as a two-player filler game.

Crokinole (Various)
Played 1 time. One of the reasons this is getting fewer plays is that we are getting better at the game and the matches are taking longer to complete.

David & Goliath (Berliner Spielkarten)
Played 1 time. I really like this trick-taking variation. We played with Jason's copy of the Playroom Entertainment version. I really do prefer the cards in the Berliner Spielkarten edition I own, but since the other is readily available I suggest you go out and get it if you like trick-taking games.

Easy Come, Easy Go (Out of the Box)
Played 3 times. My first playings. A light, quick, and fun dice game from Reiner Knizia and Out of the Box. I recommend playing with four players because it didn't feel like there was enough tension with three players.

Exxtra (Amigo)
Played 3 times. Sometimes referred to as Reiner Knizia's take on Can't Stop. If there are five or six players looking to play a lighter game, I'll recommend this. If there are three or four people, I'll recommend Can't Stop.

Fabrik der Träume (Hasbro)
Played 1 time.

Flandern 1302 (Queen)
Played 1 time. My first playing. It's a really good game which should be getting more mention than I've seen it get. My copy should be here in a few days.

Geschenkt (Amigo)
Played 2 times.

I'm the Boss (Face2Face)
Played 1 time. I should read the rules before trying this again and make sure the exact rules of negotiations are spelled out before the game starts.

Mall World (Rio Grande)
Played 1 time. First playing. We played with five players and there seemed to be a lot more to the design of this game than there needs to be for a game of its weight. There didn't seem to be anything really new about the game and the combination of mechanics and it left me with an overall feeling of "eh" after playing. The choices for the colors of the businesses and the people could have been a whole heck of a lot better and probably should have been different colors, or at least different shades of the colors. It's not a terrible game, but it isn't one which I will likely be asking to play anytime soon.

Modern Art (Mayfair)
Played 1 time. I taught four others to play, using one of the new copies of the game from Mayfair and we had problems with money shortages. Who decided not to include a 10 denomination? The game went over well. I was careful to point out potential values of cards as they came up throughout the game to try to attempt to prevent the other players from feeling like they were making totally uninformed guesses as to potential values of the cards being auctioned. Maybe this will see some more table time this year? If so, I have to try and remember to bring my copy.

Royal Turf (Alea)
Played 1 time. There's one player who seems to hate Earl Grey to the point that he's actually malicious in his attempts to stop the best horse in the race from placing every time. That spiteful move won't stop me from supporting EG every race. Earl Grey all the way!!!

Rumis (Educational Insights)
Played 1 time.

San Juan (Rio Grande)
Played 1 time. I played a two-player game for the first time and ran away with it because I got the Library very early on. I wasn't overly thrilled with it as a two-player game, though I would play again.

Santiago (Amigo)
Played 1 time. I pretty much will play this anytime there are four or five players and there are people interested in playing. With Z-Man Games releasing this soon, I expect I will have more chances to play this in the near future.

Scream Machine (Jolly Roger)
Played 1 time. This was the first time in a long time I played Scream Machine. I taught Mike and Hilary to play and I forgot how little contention there could be in a three-player game for the lead in the individual ride categories. I like it better as a four- and five-player game. Mike and Hilary enjoyed the game and we might be pulling out for an occasional playing on our Thursday night game sessions.

Smarty Party (R&R Games)
Played 1 time. We played with eight players in a loud and crowded room. This I not the best environment in which to play as people were having a hard time hearing the answers which were being given. Still, everyone seemed to have a good time, except the native of Ireland (who's been in the U.S. for many years) who had no clue about U.S. sports.

Street Soccer (Cwali)
Played 1 time. I burned out playing this late last year online and I just started playing again this pas month. Mike pulled out the board game and we played a quick match to end an evening. It looks like it is really luck-driven, but playing online has taught me that the best player wins most of the time.

Ta Yü (Rio Grande)
Played 1 time. My first playing. It's a really good "pipe" game with exceptional components. I've wanted a copy for years and now that I have had the chance to play it, I've stepped up search for a copy.

Taj Mahal (Rio Grande)
Played 1 time. I don't think I will ever win this game.

Tanz der Hornochsen (Amigo)
Played 1 time.

Ticket to Ride (Days of Wonder)
Played 1 time.

Who's the Ass? (Rio Grande)
Played 1 time. I am. Sad, but true. Okay, so it's not sad!

Ys (Ystari Games)
Played 1 time. My first playing. I liked it and would play it again, but not enough to want to buy it.

Zèrtz (Rio Grande)
Played 1 time.

February Online Games Played

Alhambra (Queen)
Played 13 times on www.boiteajeux.net.

Durch die Wüste (Kosmos)
Played 3 times on Ludagora.

Dvonn (Don & Co.)
Played 13 times on www.boiteajeux.net.

Euphrat & Tigris (Hans im Glück)
Played 2 times on the Board Game Geek

Finstere Flure (2F-Spiele)
Played 2 times on www.boiteajeux.net.

Gipf (Don & Co.)
Played 4 times on www.boiteajeux.net.

Hare and Tortoise (Rio Grande)
Played 2 times on Ludagora.

Street Soccer (Cwali)
Played 7 times on Little Golem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
San Juan (Rio Grande)
Played 1 time. I played a two-player game for the first time and ran away with it because I got the Library very early on. I wasn't overly thrilled with it as a two-player game, though I would play again.

Check out this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/76294

We always play without the Library in 2 player nowadays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm the Boss (Face2Face)
Played 1 time. I should read the rules before trying this again and make sure the exact rules of negotiations are spelled out before the game starts.

I'm curious. What kind of negatiation problems did you have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
[Blue Moon:] I started with a quick win in the first combat and was never really in danger as I won the first three combats, thus winning the game.

To be clear, you need to win *four* dragons to win the game. Maybe you meant "the next three combats"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm curious. What kind of negatiation problems did you have?

Nothing too dramatic. For example, when part of a deal was made, but not the entire deal was made, is agreeing to just a part binding or not? It wasn't made clear and some of us were negotiating under different understandings. The next time I pull it out, I want to make sure I know what the rules are and make sure everyone is clear on them before we start playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
To be clear, you need to win *four* dragons to win the game. Maybe you meant "the next three combats"?

We incorrectly played to three, shake but I think I would have easily pulled in a fourth. I had the cards to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.