Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Storing the game box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rami S
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you store your games? Do you store them vertically like books, or one atop another?

Is there any impact on the game itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Storing them on their side preserves the box itself somewhat. It also makes it much easier to take them out of the shelf. The downside is that it can mix up the pieces in the box.

Stacking certainly isn't terrible unless the stacks are huge and the games are of significantly different size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett David Spain
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely Bonkers. But I will tell you a secret, All the best people are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Weight
If you stack games horizontally, you must be aware of the weight applied to each box. Most boxes, over time, will warp with even a small amount of weight resting on them.

I try to stack my games vertically, on end, to preserve the box shape. Of course, this sometimes requires more room, depending on your shelves.

For larger games, such as Twilight Imperium 3rd, you may not have a choice but to stack it horizontally. I don't know of many shelves with the depth of a game such as that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bookcases
Yeah, I am thinking of buying or making a bookcase with 20" deep shelves for a bunch of the games. But TI3 defies any bookcase. Perhaps on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sterling-

We don't have TI3 but I did actually pick one up off a store shelf and yes it is substantial. We have a rather large 'deluxe turntable' version of Scrabble that we can only store underneath our sofa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, under the sofa is reserved for my roads and boats map poster frame and perhaps my poker chip case.

On the bookcase, I just cannot decide if I want to buy, or build it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vertical
I prefer vertical, but noticed yesterday when I pulled out Puerto Rico that the boards were a little warped due to there being a bit of space between the boards and the box top allowing a little curving. Besides that, vertical is the way to go... easy to pull from the shelf and makes less box wear.

rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I had been a horizontal-stacker for a long time and am about to amend my ways. However, there are still many games that, for some reason or another, must be stored flat:

Especially broad, thin boxes (Eg: Diplomacy).
Especially heavy boxes (Eg: Carabande).
Games where leaving the tray flat and sorted makes for much quicker game setup time (EG: Crayon-rails games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Why I love the Geek.
It's journal entries like this. Where else could you read multiple entries on the nuances and benefits of stacking game boxes?

Personally, I just shove them where they fit. But I love reading the details of how my fellow Geeks have analyzed and pondered the situation.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This Can't Hurt
Before replacing the box on its shelf on its side in perfect alignment with magnetic north, carefully remove all fingerprints and smudges caused by handling using a suitable degreaser/disinfectant. It is also recommended that the interior of the box be nitrogen flushed while insuring that the relative humidity of the storage area meets or exceeds the publisher specifications relating to climate control.

I'm just doing my part to ensure your games don't end up looking like my copy of Origins of World War II after 30 years of careless storage. Wait a minute, that game is in great shape for its age. Hmmmmmmm.

Ggthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been very happy with the Expedit from Ikea. I have the smaller balck version, it is only $99! the back is not flush with the wall, so I gain about an inch there...

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay...

I do not know exactly how deep the shelves are, but you can put two rows of hard cover books on each shelf. I think about 15 inches... games like primordial soup, settlers, vanished planet do not stick out even when the longer side of the box goes along the depth of the shelf. diplomacy sticks out by a about 2 inches. for games like diplomacy I stack horizontal on top of the bookcase, for others vertical on the actual shelves.

it is a pain to assemble if you get the version of the instructions that have the wrong order of events! (yes, yes, I had one lying about - horizontally! - my living room for almost a month before s successful assembly-epiphany dawned on us!)

for vertical stacking (if you are very concerned about the game pieces) wrapping cards and such in saran wrap will help protect them from sliding around individually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb

Just Like This!:

http://www.michaelchapel.com/atxb/mycollection.jpg

d10-1d10-0d10-1d10-0d10-1d10-0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Sideways
I store them sideways whenever I can, rather than stacking them. Then I can pull them off a shelf without disturbing 5 other games. Won't work for larger games like Heroquest, Axis and Allies and the like, but is great for Settlers & boxes of that size. Box wear and tear is lessened too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I say look!

d10-1d10-0d10-1d10-0d10-1d10-0[/q]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Huh?
Hey... how'd you get that image in your journal reply Michael?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stacking criss-cross
I stack horizontally, but put rectangular boxes at a ninety-degree angle to each other. That way the weight of each box is supported by vertical parts of the box beneath, preventing bowing of the lower boxes. It doesn't look great, and it's not efficient, but I think it works well. Square boxes get a one-eighth turn before stacking on each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just stack similarly sized boxes on top of each other. There are only a few real oddities in my collection.

Smaller boxes can be shelved like books, since they don't often have boards, but I take out my smaller games and put them into bookbags or multiple game totes.

Stacking is much more space-efficient in many cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami S
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TI
Thanks for all the input. I'll have to rework my storage procedure soon, I'm running out of space.

As for TI, I had the box of AGoT:Clash of Kings empty, because all of the bits & cards are now in the regular AGoT (of which I took off the plastic inside and put everything in zipped bags, easy while traveling), so I transfered all TI bits to AGoT:CoK and it fits perfectly.

Now my original TI box is setting on the top of one of my selfs as a display, it's quite beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shakar wrote:
How do you store your games? Do you store them vertically like books, or one atop another?

Is there any impact on the game itself?

Any impact on the game? I am convinced that if you put Monopoly at the bottom of a big pile, such that it is never requested and impossible to draw out, it greatly improves the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.