Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrabble Flash is a electronic tile game that like many other games asks players to find anagrams based on provided letters. The five tiles are electronic, displays a letter on a small screen, and can "sense" their relative position in a sequence (thereby allowing the tiles to indicate by beeping and flashing when an actual Scrabble-rules English word is spelled out correctly).

The instructions says there are three games, but really, there I think there are just two. Game #1 is a solitaire game where the goal is to find as many 3, 4 or 5-lettered words amongst the five letters. This is reminiscent of the online game TextTwist (that uses 6 letters). (As an easier game, you can also just use 4 tiles instead of 5). Like TextTwist, Game #1 is a timed game where bonus time is awarded if the "Scrabble" words (aka using all the tiles) are found.

Game #2 and #3 are different in that the goal is to find the 5-letter word as fast as possible. Game #2 is the solitaire version where you find 5-letter words, then a new set of 5 letters appears. Game #3 is a multiplayer version where each player takes a shot at solving one 5-letter puzzle, and if a player cannot solve it, they are dropped (similar to the Scripps spelling bee).

Overall, the technology is fun and innovative, but it is predominantly a solitaire game (since even if you play with more than one, only one person can play at a time). The price tag seems a bit higher, but the production value seems pretty high(not sure how durable/reliable/energy-wasting the components actually will turn out to be).

Try TextTwist out and if it's something you or your family members like, then (and only then) should you buy this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My thoughts exactly. The game is, in absolutely no way, anything I'd choose to play in lieu of BuyWord . But the tech is impressive, and as a toy I can play with with my letter-fixated toddler it was worth the purchase for me. He's already arranging fridge magnets and Probe cards into short words, this is only a natural extension. With this, there's no risk of me running out of E's.

And a footnote - one difference between games 2 and 3 is that, in game 3, the timer becomes progressively shorter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William (Andy) Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The storage case is well done and the amount of shelf space it takes up is very small. The box it came in seemed like a waste of paper and plastic. So far it been fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd like to see an open source version of these cubes. Hand it to us geeks and we'll figure out the games for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.