Subject: Rank confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
i posted on this subject before. forgive me but i'm still confused. if u can't beat the monster, don't u just gotta go to Rest? the monster goes into the village for solo and they go back to the bottom of deck for multiplayer game. so the rank refills or the entire Hall shifts forward? solo and multiplayer alike?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In multiplayer, you may choose to fight a monster even though you can't win. When you do so, the monster goes to the bottom of the dungeon deck, most likely never to be seen again. The monsters then move up as appropriate depending which monster you challenged and the dungeon is refilled. You might choose to do this to deny another player who you think might be able to defeat the monster a chance at the victory points, or perhaps the game is dragging along and you just want to move it along a bit.

In solo, there really is no reason to fight a monster in the dungeon if you can't beat it, as they will move on out anyways...you're better off trying to improve your deck by resting or buying something in the village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
In solo, there really is no reason to fight a monster in the dungeon if you can't beat it, as they will move on out anyways...you're better off trying to improve your deck by resting or buying something in the village.

Since the monsters do not advanced (whether beating them or not) once you go to the dungeon, it could help you get further into your deck for something you may need next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Rattner
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
People humiliating a salami
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the solo game, you may want to intentionally lose to a monster in a deeper rank if the monster in rank 1 is worth lots of VP. For instance, if rank 1 is worth 5 VP and rank 2 is worth 1 VP and you can't beat either, you may lose to rank 2 to send that guy to the monster pile instead of the 5 VP guy, and hope you draw a hand that can handle rank 1 next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evanratt wrote:
In the solo game, you may want to intentionally lose to a monster in a deeper rank if the monster in rank 1 is worth lots of VP. For instance, if rank 1 is worth 5 VP and rank 2 is worth 1 VP and you can't beat either, you may lose to rank 2 to send that guy to the monster pile instead of the 5 VP guy, and hope you draw a hand that can handle rank 1 next turn.

Good point...hadn't even thought of thatshake of course, one game I played, they were all high VP monsters.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer DC wrote:
garry_rice wrote:

Since the monsters do not advanced (whether beating them or not) once you go to the dungeon, it could help you get further into your deck for something you may need next turn.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here, but in solo mode, I believe the monsters always advance if you don't beat one of them (unless its the round after you've beaten one and you're playing on the easiest level).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I was meaning was that they do not advance next round because of this rule in normal mode solo play (as you mentioned):

Any monster that is attacked and not defeated, also goes into the village scorepile, however, the monsters do not advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, sometimes the monster effects can end up being beneficial, depending on the situation. For instance, one monster (can't think of the name) says that all heroes get -4 strength and any heroes with 0 strength are destroyed. If your starting hand has four militia or more, you may be better off fighting and losing to that monster to get rid of the militia from your deck. (Think Chapel from Dominion.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.