Jason Wallace
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6th Circle Nethermancer in Service of the Queen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Two tries at Mission Impossible....

Note to self: it's quite aptly named, it does feel impossible at times, BUT you can pull it off!

So... 1st play through...

Start with Wizard, and go to explore my first tile... and it's a Workshop with a nice big Flesh Golem!!!!

I was able to keep him at bay and whittle him down a smidge with Thunderwaves to keep back, and when he got by I'd explore a touch, but ran into problems as Encounters, the Ghoul that I found, and the big guy being so quickly on the start tile got me into. Still I think I got 6-7 damage on this first Villian.

Next was the Ranger! I was excited. Two Hit and RUns later and only 2 damage to Alissa and I was feeling pretty good. I struck out quickly further into the Castle and Careful Striked a lot of Strahd's underlings to death to find the Fetid Den with only two scant Hit Points left, so I got a 3 HP Bounding Attack on him and then RAN like the wind, knowing back up was coming. I Snipe Shot the Werewolf all the way back to the Start Tile before I hit an encounter that I couldn't buy off that killed me.

The Fighter ran in just to see Alissa die, and swung a Brutal Strike to take the Werewolf from 2 damage to DEAD! Two encounters to get to an unexplored area left the Fighter singed badly (6 damage), and when a Wraith showed up and draining his life, he didn't feel all that Unstoppable despite trying. Running now he led a swarm of enemies including a Wraith down an empty corridor (already explored by his friends), but an Encounter teleported him across the board. Exploring brought a Gargoyle which brought our Fighter down to 1 HP before the Fighter left the Gargoyle as a slightly damaged statue. Doubling back the horde of enemies caught and finished him off, although he cleaved through a few to go down in glory.

The Rogue entered and saw the horde down a hall and raced for another. Sneaking past a Blazing Skeleton brought her into a mean trap, and a Skeleton, and within a few moments time seemed to pass too quickly (Passage of Time took her last HP), leaving her with only a few explored tiles to show for her sacrafice.

The Cleric entered last of all and mopped up the horde with Lances and Strikes a plenty, having some uneventful encounters and then enough experience to avoid Strahd's worst. Cutting down an unexplored way he had some heavies near him until King Tomescu's Portal left him just the slightest bit dizzy and in a quiet part of the Castle. He explored and found the Zombie Dragon, and in efforts to avoid encounters, he uncovered a deadly Wraith, dropping back and firing damaging Lances couldn't get the job done in time however, as some encounters and a mean Spider and then a Ghoul catching up behind him made him collapse from the strain.

The Zombie Dragon won the day that day...

--------------

Undaunted I tried again. The Fighter plowed in first this time and cut his way in a bunch to the Workshop (yes again! I really did shuffle well!), and returned the Brute's smashes with his own brutal Strike, killing the Golem down to 2 life before surcoming to Strahd's Castle and a horde of minions.

The Ranger came in to a quiet entryway and began exploring again avoiding the Crossbow Turret on the right, and a hallway of 4 tiles later found herself up against the Howling Hag in its Arcane Circle. While, she got a few good Hit and Runs in, she ended up being teleported into a corner of the crypt with an immobilizing Ghoul right in range of aforementioned Crossbow Turret... she died on the move over a Ghoul's body to a crossbow bolt in the back.

The Rogue came in to avenge her sister at arms, and Sneak Attacked with a Snipe Shot for a nice boom, followed by a still Sneaky Riposting Strike, followed up by the killing Snipe Shot after running back from a less hazardous Crypt Corner. Exploring new ground brought a Gargoyle and her end though.

The Eladrin Wizard arrived next, out of breath, and got beat down to 1 HP of his life in short order, having used his Shield spell to stay barely alive.

Just when 3 enemies, a Spider, Blazing Skeleton, and Zombie moved to 1 room away, a Kobold javelined him for... thank his Lucky Charms! He wound up and planted a perfect Fireball! And got refreshed enough to bring Shield back to mind... just as another Javelin came to claim his life, his shield spell springing to life again just in the knick of time. Thunderwave pushed the Kobold back and let him explore to find the evil Klak's Laboratory, and the last villian the Heroes had to overcome. Klak's summoning of more monsters proved too much as a Zombie came and beat the poor Wizard upside the head... even after spending every drop of XP to avoid some potentially deadly encounters.

Thorgrim stepped in to finish the job and was advancing (ever so slowly) on the retreating Klak when the Cleric found himself Teleported by a Glyph REALLY far away. Fighting and healing his way back, he found himself two rooms away from the Crossbow Turret, and just beyond it, the safe room... had a Gargoyle just a room away, waiting to pounce on those escaping the Crossbow Turret. He decided and his stubby legs carried him STRAIGHT up to the Turret (just barely). He mentioned to whack in the gears and shut it down. Then coming up as close as he safely could, he dashed past the Gargoyle without rousing it. He ran up, even as Klak was FAR down a straight hallway, with monsters pouring out from behind him. Finally after a few scraps the Cleric called down a holy Flame Strike to finish Klak off, but MISSED! only singing the insufferable little Kobold. Then when it seemd he couldn't reach the little weasel, King Tomescu's Portal sucked him in (have I mentioned I LOVE this card so far), and barely bruised him in transit... landing him RIGHT next to Klak, and a few short hits later, the Cleric had WON, avenging the death of his earlier comrades! (I had used Healing Word, lots of Healing Strikes and was down to only 4 HP left, but I DID IT!)

By the end of this second run through (thanks to Klak and lots of Neglected Passageway, Secret Doors, etc. I had only TWO tiles left (having already dipped into a Rotting Nook to literally have only two dungeon tiles in the box not OUT! Also, I was ~2/3 of the way through the Encounter deck! For a solo game this is GREAT!

While I found I forgot to enforce bad environments, I found I forgot to grab a treasure literally more than HALF the time, in my rush, so I figured it even outed mostly as the Environments in question were relatively minor.

GREAT fun and I can't wait to try other adventures, esp. like the Hounded one with the Wolf pack and Werewolf (looks GREAT!)!!!

Well there's two accounts for your entertainment.... ENJOY!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Raven Bloodeyes wrote:

Start with Wizard, and go to explore my first tile... and it's a Workshop with a nice big Flesh Golem!!!!

First tile? Shouldn't it have been at least 8 tiles down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Corvus
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got finished with my first go at Adventure Impossible. And oh my sweet Jeebus that cleric is a beast! I started with the rogue and managed to find and whittle a few HP off the Flesh Golem.

Next, the cleric came out, finished off the golem, blazed a trail of doom all over my living room floor and found Klak. By this time, due to a timely teleportation, I had monsters closing in on me from all sides. I was caught in a crushing walls trap and being beaten down by a ghoul. All the while, a wraith, spider and rat swarm were moving closer and closer.

Now, a lot of this was luck, because I kept drawing stuff that let me flip powers back up. I was able to flame strike a bunch of my foes, healing word myself, flip flame strike back up, use it to kill Klak and two of his minions, flip healing word back up and get back to full HP. I then made it to the third villain: the Werewolf. I had no way to kill him since my two at-wills only did one damage each. So, I let him follow me around while I tried to run the monster and encounter decks down for the next hero. I managed to run the monster deck and tile stack out and canceled out a lot of nasty encounter cards; however, the cleric finally met his demise at the hands of a wraith, a blazing skeleton and the werewolf.

The ranger came in next. He made a beeline for the monsters and took out the wraith and blazing skeleton with split the tree. After that, I tagged the regenerating Werewolf for two damage per round with hit and run until he fell. By the time the ranger came in, almost every encounter card couldn't even be played since most of them referenced things that either weren't in play or were no longer possible to put into play. I ended with every tile on the board, the monster deck depleted, 5 HP, two heroes still on deck, 4 unspent XP, and a lone gargoyle sitting about twelve tiles away somewhere under the coffee table.

I have a feeling like I got lucky not only in getting the cleric early, but also in which villains I got and the order in which I had to fight them. All in all, it was incredibly fun, and I can't wait to do it again. I highly recommend this adventure to anyone who hasn't yet played it. Two thumbs up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Corvus
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Raven Bloodeyes wrote:

First tile? Shouldn't it have been at least 8 tiles down?
In Adventure Impossible, you shuffle one lair with seven other tiles three times, stacking each 'lair stack' on top of each other. The remaining tiles go on the bottom of the three lair stacks. So, it is possible to get a villain lair on the first explore. It would also be possible to get a lair back to back on your eighth and ninth turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.