Subject: Fantastic Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game last week on reading a few reviews and hearing some general good feedback on the game play. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed at first by the rather large box. The art also did not capture me at first. But after 2 plays. All I can say is that this game may supplant Dominion in my house. After 2 plays with my son, he has declared that this is his favorite game. Our first play was a bit of a learning game, but it really only took a few turns to start getting into the flow of things. The first game ended in me getting 67 points and my son 42. We then played again today and the game was super tight: 62 to 61 with my son edging me out. I tried a deck thinning strategy with a few contructs to boost my end of game points. I also used the Yggdrasil Staff to convert runes into honor points. Getting the game up and running is super quick. I also enjoyed the fact that while you don't have selected cards on the table like Dominion and Thunderstone, you have a bit more variability. It really felt like drafting and playing MtG all at the same time. Plus, the various card combinations gave the game a bit of that Magic/RftG feel. Add to that the quick set up and this is a real winner. I still feel the box is a bit bloated, but if and when expansion are available, this might be mitigated a bit. The art has even grown on me. I do enjoy the unpolished look. It gives a real different feel than the super color saturated cards of Dominion, Thunderstone, and RftG. My only slight bit of concern is the cards. While thick, they don't shuffle that well. The edges, even after 2 games, show a bit of feathering out especially on the corners. I am hot and cold on sleeving. I tried it with RftG but with the large stack the cards ended up all over the table more often than not. I sleeved Dominion since I wanted to protect it especially with an 8 year old playing it often. That way if he wants to pull it out with friends I have a slight insurance on the cards. But with Ascension, I am really thinking about picking up their special sleeves. I wish the cards were of the same feel of MtG or RftG. While RftG have a textured finish, the best thing is that they shuffle very well. Magic cards fit the same category. They may not be textured, but they do shuffle well. I will have to put in a few more plays to really test it out, but so far so good. This game will surely benefit from future expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Connor
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you guys are enjoying it!

Ascension Sleeves made by Legion Supplies are going to be on sale on the main page's store in the next day or so (and are already available through other online vendors; you can also ask your store to order some from their distributor). They're high quality, won't slide all over the place, and super durable. All that, and they look awesome toocool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.