Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing a solo game to learn the phases and rules. I am still currently playing right now trying to prevent Yig from awakening. These are my two questions I came across:

1. When a flying monsters spawns due to a gate opening, does he stay on that location until he is moved by a mythos card and follows the flying rules accordingly, or does he immediately go to the sky.

2. When you have to draw another monster from the bag, do you instead take a monster from the outskirts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Monster placement comes before monster movement, so the flying monster can be placed and moved on the same turn. The monster can
move when placed, but won't necessarily do so.

2. No. Once the monster is in the Outskirts it stays there until the limit is exceeded, raising the Terror Level, or a Big Storm Sweeps Arkham and clears the sky and outskirts.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I figured, but the flying monster rules are a little flaky. How about this one.

Can you use clue tokens to obtain bonus rolls when battling an Ancient One in the final battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Christie
Australia
Eastwood
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryd Pickles wrote:
That's what I figured, but the flying monster rules are a little flaky. How about this one.

Can you use clue tokens to obtain bonus rolls when battling an Ancient One in the final battle?

Yes, you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I played by the rules correctly, I just defeated Yig with just one Investigator. I was curious to get someone's rundown on how the battle with the Ancient Ones occur. I read through the rulebook and the FAQ. The FAQ says that successes are carried over to the next combat round. What's the correct way combat should be handled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryd Pickles wrote:
If I played by the rules correctly, I just defeated Yig with just one Investigator. I was curious to get someone's rundown on how the battle with the Ancient Ones occur. I read through the rulebook and the FAQ. The FAQ says that successes are carried over to the next combat round. What's the correct way combat should be handled?

With one investigator, you just need one success per doom token. So every success is a hit and you only need enough to kill him, whether you do that in a few rounds (if you are particualrly good at rolling) or many.

Successes always carry over. But in the case of 1 investigator, you just take off as many doom tokens as successes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
The easiest way to think about it is that the Ancient One has health equal to the number of doom tokens multiplied by the number of players. All you needed were 10 hits to kill him.

If you were playing with 3 people, it would take 30 hits. The way you're supposed to count them is to remove 1 doom token after every 3 hits. This is why they have the rule about carrying over: if you hit him 5 times, you remove 1 doom token and the 2 remaining hits count towards removing the next doom token, not only within one round of combat, but even into the next round of combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I read, but why have points carried over? That just seems like too many numbers to keep track of, much less Ancient Ones attack/special abilites and upkeep phases such as curses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryd Pickles wrote:
That's what I read, but why have points carried over? That just seems like too many numbers to keep track of,

Fine. Don't carry them over then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryd Pickles wrote:
That's what I read, but why have points carried over? That just seems like too many numbers to keep track of, much less Ancient Ones attack/special abilites and upkeep phases such as curses.
It's really just one number. Take the number of doom tokens multiplied by the number of investigators. That's your number. For each success rolled by anyone, subtract 1 from your number. If you get to 0 you win. If you all die before you get to 0, you lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryd Pickles wrote:

If you have more than one ivestigator, just put a clue or money token down for every success you have. When it equals the number of investigators, remove them along with a doom token. Or if you have enough dice, just hang on to teh successes and roll other ones. There are ways around it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that Yig is possibly the easiest GOO to defeat in final combat, whatever the number of players. (Hastur can be easy as well, if you control the terror track, and Ithaqua, if your initial "keep yer stuff" rolls are favorable). The goal is gate control.

Unfortunately, the clearest explanation of the flying monster rules is not in the rules themselves, but in the illustrated example caption. The presentation is more complete, and it clears up most of the vagueness of the main body rules.

We use stamina counters for carryover successes... not that it has mattered often; we usually lose once it comes down to "Yahtzee with the Gods".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yahtzee with the Gods"....nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.