Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing firefights #1 and #2 in CoH SoS in solitaire mode. Now, these are not necessarily easy for the Germans, however, since the Russian units do not activate until they have LOS of a German unit, shouldn't they expend their 7 APs to build hasty defenses in preparation whenever they have nothing better to do?

At present I'm not using hasty defenses for the Russians because these firefights are hard enough as is, but what was the intention with regard to the solitaire rules (if there was one)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little of a "newb" to this game myself and haven't read through to the hasty defense rule, but my first thoughts were to hide each soviet unit for these scenarios. Seems like it would present a similar dilemma for the Germans.

From my understanding of the rules, units hidden in cover are not detected unless the opponent moves onto the same square as them. So you could either do that and get the first close-combat attack, or wait for an opportunity to fire at their flank as they pass by giving you an extra short-range attack while they pivot.

Sorry...I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but both strategies seem to poke holes in the balance of the scenarios in question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing in solitaire mode I don't think you want the Russian units to be hidden, by that I mean it would be hard to deal with hidden units when playing solitaire.

But it is a similar question. Should the solitaire AI rules allow Russians to strengthen defenses when there is nothing else to do?

Probably the more important question would be: How were these scenarios intended to be played in solitaire mode? Because presumably they were play-tested and balanced under a specific set of rules. If additional rules are added (e.g., hasty defense) that benefit the Russians then the play balance would be thrown off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies, I didn't specify that I was playing the first two scenarios with an opponent (i.e. not solitaire).

Perhaps they aren't meant to be played as such. Regardless, from what we've experienced, the Germans have an uphill battle. If the soviets resort to using hasty defense/hidden units, the scenarios seem almost un-winnable. We'd have to playtest some more to prove or disprove this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No, don't use hasty defense. Think of the times and the caliber of units. They are set up in houses with Germans advancing. The platoon leader is not going to send his peasant conscripts out to build up their positions and risk them hiding, running or being out of place. They are nervous enough with the tension of the coming battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Schubert
United States
Polk Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:
No, don't use hasty defense. Think of the times and the caliber of units. They are set up in houses with Germans advancing. The platoon leader is not going to send his peasant conscripts out to build up their positions and risk them hiding, running or being out of place. They are nervous enough with the tension of the coming battle.

You know.... you are very good to have around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.