Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
After reading the rules I'm still not sure I understand the proper rule concerning shifting the formation after the death of a space marine.

I reviewed the example in the rulebook and understand that you count the number of marines above and below the spot in which the marine died and shift the formation up or down depending on which has the least number of marines (if tied go from bottom up)

My confusion lies in exactly how the shift works. Let's say that a marine dies and there are 3 formations above and 2 formations below.
You shift from the bottom up.

Does this mean that the 2 formations below are all moved up and merged into 1 row and you now have a row with two marines on it? That must not be right since isn't it true that now one row can have more then one marine?

Appreciate any help.

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I understand it you simply move everything one space up or down towards the larger part of the formation. Let's take an example.

G is genestealer, M marine, T terrain and the X is a dead marine.

G M T
M
G M G
T X G
M T

Now, the bottom part (which has only one marine) is the smaller, so you'll shift that part on place upwards. So the new formation would look like this:

G M T
M
G M G
T M G T

And actually this is a bit different from how I've played it (I used to shift the terrain/stealers sorrounding the dead marine as well), but after close scrutiny of the rules I'm pretty damn certain this is how to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Fell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What mads said is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I tried to explain in another thread:

Shifting Marines:
Best way to describe it is to say that nothing in the line moves but everything that was at the dieing Marines location needs to be at someone elses location.
If you considered this, 8 Marines, 1 at the top to 8 at the bottom. Marine 5 dies. All the terrain and genestealers that were at Marine 5s position will now be at Marine 6's location along with whatever Marine 6 had before (as 6, 7 and 8 are smallest segment), everything else stays the same. With a special note that Marine 6 will only be attacked by any stealers that were at his position before this shift occured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the two charts above with "code" tags applied - that may help.

G M T
M
G M G
T X G
M T

Now, the bottom part (which has only one marine) is the smaller, so you'll shift that part on place upwards. So the new formation would look like this:

G M T
M
G M G
T M G T

BTW, this is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Bryan. It looked okay when I typed it, and I didn't think of actually checking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I have explained this to my buddies is this. (I think less confusing than the rules.

When a Marine dies. Look above and below him and see where there are fewer marines.

Move all marines up or down 1 space to fill the gap and move all terrain and GS's along with each marine BUT DO NOT move the dead marines GS's or terrain. Just add what ever moves up or down 1 pace to what it already there.

Then if you have OCD, and the marines moved down away from the location card. Move everything back up one space to close the gap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.