Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeff ven
Belgium
antwerpen
borgerhout
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing that no one posted a review on rules of engagement i thought i would be the first one to introduce this excellent piece of work and try to share my views with the public.

WARNING!!! i am not a avid tabletop gamer by a long shot but then again i will try my best to explain what i think about the game.

d10-1Presentation:
The rules are laid out in a very attractive hardcover book that is about 240pg thick.
Inside this book everything is covered from the mechanic's,hobby section to ever a very detailed report of the war since operation overlord to the fall of the Reich.
Especially the hobby section and the history section add allot of value to the book since it will explain everything in detail from how to make scenery and paint your army to how certain missions went during operation overlord giving you a good source to base your sessions on.
The rules themselves are laid out in a very user friendly way that makes them easy to grasp even to people that are completely new to the genre.
Yet they cover almost everything one needs to know from basic infantry to airborne units tanks and afv's.
The total package is also nicely illustrated with allot of examples and some artwork and pictures to give the overall appearance of the book a very nice looking and cohesive feeling.

d10-2 Rules:
I always find that the rules section (or mechanics if you like) of any review is the hardest nut to crack.
I always look for a middle ground that will explain the basic flow of play without getting into to much detail.
So for the sake of the review i will not be going into to much depth and will be focusing on infantry units.

The game is split up into 4 different phases that each player will go trough before the next player gets to take his turn, these phases are.

1Order phase:
At the beginning of every round you will give a order to your troops choosing between one of the following.

Hold: your troops hold there position, they get to either shoot at a opposing target prepare opportunity fire or hide.
They also count as using cover for the effect of taking "saving" throws against incoming fire.

Sneak: your troops advance cautiously making use of available cover as they go, they also get to fire at the opposing unit's.
For a standard infantry unit this would be a 10cm move (using 28mm or 5 using 1/72).

Advance: Your troops get to advance using there total movement (mostly 20cm) and get to fire, however they will not use cover.

Run: Your troops get to move a extra +10cm (+5 in 1/72) but don't get to fire and will not use cover.

So as you might notice it is very important to pick the right order and allot of emphasis is put on the order phase.

2 Movement phase:
During this phase you will execute the movement for your troops according to the order that has been assigned to them.

3 Shoot phase:
During the shooting phase there are several things to take into consideration, ranging from bonuses and penalty's for cover and such to line of sight, rate of fire and more.
So to keep it simple i will be writing a example with a basic unit that has a clear line of sight and no bonuses or penalty's against it.
so lets say a squad of 5 rifleman are shooting against a enemy squad that is 5 man strong.
first they look at there rate of fire to determine how many dice they get to roll, a basic rifle had a rot (rate of fire) of 1 so they will be rolling 1 D6 (six sided die) per unit in the squad.
Now they look at there shoot ability this show them what they need to roll to hit, in our example this is a 4+.
So he rolls the 5 dice and for every 4+ he will score a "hit" so he rolls and gets 3 success.
Now the defender gets to take a saving throw using his EXP value, he looks on the table and finds that he needs to roll a 4+ to make a successful save.
He rolls a die for every hit and get 2 success so now the attacker only gets 1 hit.
But to actually see if it dos any damage he has to roll on the damage table of his gun to see if it actually manages to wound or kill the character.
So against infantry units he needs to score a 4+ to score a hit, so he rolls the die and gets a 5 scoring a hit and thus killing 1 character.
Now he compares the hits being 3 to the remaining characters, if this would be more then the survivors they would be suppressed.

4 Order phase:
In the order phase your squads make dice rolls against there discipline score to see if they stay put or suffer a moral loss witch in turn leads to penalty's.
One can also retreat instead of making a discipline test to automatically pass it.

d10-3 Conclusion:
So what do i actually think about the game? well i think this is probably one of the best miniature rules that i have every used.
They are very comprehensive and well written, while still managing to keep things fluid and manageable.
Also the scope that the book covers is absolutely amazing, if you would be comparing it to lets say warhammer i would say that you get the rule book, 3 army codex, the hobby book and allot of historical background info.
So this book is certainly worth it if you are looking for good fast playing ww2 rules that cover everything you need right from the start.
Be sure not to pass on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Cooper
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Thanks for the review. I ordered a copy of them today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.