Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on creating a cloth/fabric board for a game that I am making (that is already commercially out there, but OOP). The board will be about 24" square, and I plan to use a blue cloth to represent water. My wife can sew so I will have her sew the fabric with borders/edges to that it doesn't unravel. I will have it sewed to another peice of fabric along three edges making a pouch to carry the rest of the game pieces.

I plan to draw/paint a few things on the top of the board, and need some advice. I plan to paint waves on the water, and maybe a few islands. I don't want that puffy paint because it might wear or flake off. Since some lines will need to be white I cannot just permanent markers, I was thinking paint. Any recommendations for good brands of paint markers or good cloth paint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerri Mullis
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want to use micron pigma pens, the should be available at walmart in the craft department or most fabric stores. They are made to be permanent on fabric. I use them to make permanent lables etc on quilts and they are permanent even after many washings. You can buy on or two or in a set of six. They have them in different points.

You should post a picture of it when done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will look for them. As I said, were it not for the fact that I need White I would just use markers. I will see if they have white markers, but I suspect not.

As for posting pictures, since I am "copying" a published game I am not sure how ethical it would be to post pictures and encourage others to do so. Hum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lisa smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a test piece of your blue fabric bleaches while you can use the bleach pens sold in the supermarket for cleaning grout to draw lines. It's a little unpredictable if bleach will turn something white so you need to test.

If there is a white pen that works well on fabric, you are most likely to find it in an art supply store not a craft store like micheals.

Overall, I think you are much better using a resist method. Draw your designs on white fabric and then dye it blue in the areas where the design is not.

You can buy a compound that blockes the dye at a craft store. I haven't used that but may work well. Idye brand is very easy to use and makes nice blues.

I've used the batik methods, indigo dye method, or fabric dipped in sunprint solution to do resist which all work really well but maybe be more complicated than you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also just use t-shirt transfers, do whatever you want in a paint program like photoshop, paintshop pro, inkscape, whatever, and transfer it to the fabric. From what I understand, it's washer safe as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Perreault-Dorion
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artscow pillowcases, that's how I did my Melee cloth map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm here for the ambiance.
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many fabric paints are just acrylic with a special additive, and can be applied with a regular paintbrush. There are off-white shades as well as the standard white, if you need them. I buy mine at Michael's for $2.49 each (I think they contain 4oz. of paint).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oeternalis wrote:

That looks really cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can check out this site:

http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome

I ordered two "fat quarters", in linen cloth, each with a different board.

It's not that expensive, and for my prototypes, it should be perfect!

Haven't got them yet; should be here next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting site. Thanks for the heads up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Perreault-Dorion
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Post the results when you get them, I was considering using them for a future project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll post the pics tonight; got both maps today.

Really nice!

Totally worth it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There you go!

It's pretty awesome!

I can totally see a new line of train games using the cloth boards....!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So with Artscow, do you simply send them an art file, pdf/jpg and they create a single board on cloth?

can you get them to print on foam backed material, like a mousepad, only larger ?

I am thinking a nice navia drapt board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally used Spoonflower.com.

It's really simple to use, follow the instructions, and get a "Fat Quarter".

You can use any type of fabric, but I used linen cloth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey Martin, thanks a ton - spoonflower.com is just what I've been looking for. Any comment on the fabric you chose? I guess you used 'Linen-cotton canvas', which has about twice the weight of the quilting fabric, and costs a few dollars more for a fat quarter. I want to make a cloth board that can be folded up, and smooths out reasonably well when used - perhaps the lighter quilting fabric would be a better choice?

edit: Just noticed 'Organic Cotton Sateen', with 'glossy finish' and 'appropriate for pillows' - perhaps less wrinkle prone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my two games last night; wrinkles are a proble (when folded).

I should iron out the boards and roll them....

But they're great!

What about cloth cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Mallory
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that painting onto cloth works very well from prior experience, and you can even coat it so that it is weather resistant...

we used to make banners/signs with coats of arms for people in the SCA this way...

I'll do a quick search and see if I can find an example...

Well, nothing forthcoming, but I remember using the basic acrylic paints, but after laying down a layer of gesso onto some painters drop cloth (ie cheap fabric ones)

after the paint was dry, we just used a clear sealer, and the darned things were pretty good at repelling rain... they were used to identify who was who (think like the shields knights had w/ heraldry).

I still have some supplies in the basement, but if you are good with digital images, then the printing to fabric idea (specifically the fat quarters and the pillowcase above) look like some excellent alternatives... the only thing I can say is, if you're going for a cheap prototype, paint isn't expensive, but custom printing is...

-Garfield227
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith gell
United Kingdom
eastbourne
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oeternalis wrote:

Looks very good.

Is this called a "fleece" by Artscow?

I could not see the pillowcases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Perreault-Dorion
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the link: http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/Pillow-Case/Pillow-Case-4...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.